What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adenine, Vitamin B4; 6-aminopurine

shaggyballs

Veteran
What is know of this :

Vitamin B4 also known as Adenine is the member of the Vitamin B-Complex family. Vitamin B4 is also one of the water-soluble vitamins. Adenine is a compound that acts as a co-enzyme with other compounds such as vitamins and helpful in produceing energy. Adenine is the one of the nitrogenous bases of DNA also helpful in making code for DNA and is very important component of the DNA. It is a purine. Adenine forms a bond with thiamine in the DNA. This vitamin B4 also forms a part of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is important in the transport of energy between many reactions and also forms adenosine which plays an important role in various biochemical processes. It enables the change of phosphate group which then provide energy which is very necessary for various cellular reactions and for cells’ life.

A possible growth regulatory effect caused by adenine (18) was first noted by Bonner and Haagen-Smit (1939) and Bonner et al. (1939), who found that the compound promoted an expansion in the area of leaf discs floated on sugar solutions. Other regulatory properties of the compound were later demonstrated by Skoog and Tsui (1948), Jacquiot (1951) and Miller and Skoog (1953), who discovered that it could induce bud formation in both tobacco stem segments and elm and tobacco callus in vitro. The activity of adenine is much less than that of the true cytokinins, and 25-100 times the concentration (e.g. 600 mM vs. 20 mM kinetin - Khanna and Chopra, 1977) may be required to produce similar results. Despite the subsequent discovery of cytokinin activity in adenine derivatives, adenine itself is still often used in cultures from which plant regeneration is required. It seems sometimes to improve growth (Nwankwo and Krikorian, 1983), or to bring about or reinforce responses normally attributed to cytokinin action. It is not active in the soybean callus bioassay. Benefits are often only noticed when adenine is administered together with a cytokinin such as kinetin, or BA. Adenosine and adenylic acid can sometimes act in the same way as adenine (Skoog and Tsui, 1948; Nitsch et al., 1967) but they are generally even less effective. Adenine is known as Vitamin B4. In some papers on tissue culture it is listed amongst the vitamin components of a medium. 8.1. EMBRYOGENESIS AND CAULOGENESIS Halperin and Wetherell (1964) noted that 2 mg/l adenine or 0.2 mg/l kinetin could be used instead of coconut milk in various media for stimulating embryogenesis in carrot callus. Since then, adenine has been added to media in amounts ranging from 2 to 405 mg/l (but more usually 40-80 mg/l) to promote somatic embryo formation in other callus cultures (Nag and Johri, 1969; Danilina, 1972; Pareek and Chandra, 1978b; Phillips and Collins, 1980; Reynolds et al., 1980). In the presence of other recognised cytokinins, adenine frequently promotes adventitious shoot formation, indirectly from callus (Plummer and Leopold, 1957; Earle and Torrey, 1965; Thorpe and Murashige, 1968; Beach and Smith, 1979; Xiang-can et al., 1989), or directly from explants (Ziv et al., 1970; Start and Cumming, 1976; Seabrook et al., 1976; Nickerson, 1978; Rao and Bapat, 1978). It inhibits root initiation (Doerschug and Miller, 1967) but has been reported to stimulate the growth of preformed roots of Citrus embryoids (Kochba et al., 1974) and lupin seedlings (Fries, 1960) in a similar fashion to low levels of cytokinin.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Sorry for the nitpicking but you shouldn't speak of vitamin B4...
A: Plants have other 'vitamins' than humans (usually less) which makes most human vitamins non-essential in plants (and eventually vice versa)
B: Vitamin B4 is no vitamin and refers to several different compounds amongst others adenine
C: Adenine is a nucleobase and hence synthesised in sufficient amounts by the human body -> adenine is no vitamin
D: Point C is also true for plants
E: You might say 'adenine also known as vitamin B4'

F: Because I'm already bickering: By definition, all compounds from the very heterogeneous vitamin B complex (or family) are water soluble

I don't say adenine doesn't do any good though ;) .
Does it work on whole plants too? It could be an alternative for cytokinins or at least reduce their quantity; even if one uses 10 times more it probably costs a lot less...

And now I shut up and contemplate on finding something useful to contribute to this topic :D . Meanwhile, keep on the good work Shaggy (although, I have to admit that I've already seen you writing better English).

shaggyballs

Veteran
Adenine
6-aminopurine
CAS No.: 79-10-7
Empirical formular: C5H5N5

Cytokinins are a group of plant hormones stimulating, among others, axillary bud formation and inhibiting rhizogenesis. Adenine, their common component, often expresses cytokinin-like activity in plant development. The aim of the experiment was to determine the effect of adenine on rooting and development of Fuchsia hybrida cuttings. The influence of adenine was also assessed in comparison to benzyladenine, including their cooperation with 1-naphthaleneacetic acid. Anatomical analysis of the rooting process was also undertaken. Application of BA, both alone or together with NAA, strongly inhibited rhizogenesis, but stimulated axillary shoot outgrowth. Adenine exhibited cytokinin-like activity on axillary shoot development in Fuchsia hybrida cuttings, but did not show the inhibitory effect on root development typical for cytokinins. This compound, particularly at higher concentrations, stimulated both axillary shoot development and rooting, which was expressed as an increase in root number and rooting percentage, even after direct application to the base of the cuttings. Anatomical analysis revealed adenine-derived acceleration during elongation of adventitious root primordia.

The effect of adenine on growth and respiration was found to be small so that the primary effect of adenine was not directly on either of these processes and only secondarily on ADP and ATP concentrations.
This is particularly important in view of the observation of Bach and Fellig (i960) that adenine increased the respiration of Chlorclla lulgavis at least ten times more than inorganic nitrogen compounds.

Cytokinin biosynthesis happens through the biochemical modification of adenine. The process by which they are synthesized is as follows (McGaw, 1995; Salisbury and Ross, 1992):
A product of the mevalonate pathway called isopentyl pyrophosphate is isomerized.
This isomer can then react with adenosine monophosphate with the aid of an enzyme called isopentenyl AMP synthase.
The result is isopentenyl adenosine-5'-phosphate (isopentenyl AMP).
This product can then be converted to isopentenyl adenosine by removal of the phosphate by a phosphatase and further converted to isopentenyl adenine by removal of the ribose group.
Isopentenyl adenine can be converted to the three major forms of naturally occurring cytokinins.

Attachments

• Effect_of_adenine__sucrose_and_plant_growth_regulators_on_the_indirect_organogenesis_and_on_in_v.pdf
    384.4 KB · Views: 49
  • The Effect of Gibberellic Acid, Indole-3-Acetic Acid,.pdf
    354.6 KB · Views: 63

shaggyballs

Veteran
Sorry for the nitpicking but you shouldn't speak of vitamin B4...
A: Plants have other 'vitamins' than humans (usually less) which makes most human vitamins non-essential in plants (and eventually vice versa)
B: Vitamin B4 is no vitamin and refers to several different compounds amongst others adenine
C: Adenine is a nucleobase and hence synthesised in sufficient amounts by the human body -> adenine is no vitamin
D: Point C is also true for plants
E: You might say 'adenine also known as vitamin B4'

F: Because I'm already bickering: By definition, all compounds from the very heterogeneous vitamin B complex (or family) are water soluble

I don't say adenine doesn't do any good though ;) .
Does it work on whole plants too? It could be an alternative for cytokinins or at least reduce their quantity; even if one uses 10 times more it probably costs a lot less...

And now I shut up and contemplate on finding something useful to contribute to this topic :D . Meanwhile, keep on the good work Shaggy (although, I have to admit that I've already seen you writing better English).

I have:dance013: copied and pasted better English also!!LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts