What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

S

stretchpuppy

I have the original 4".. I realize your test was the new model and the differences.

I think the results should be fairly close as the Super Sun was top notch until the 2 came out...

betterboy

nice job pico, glad there's people that has the equiptment and willing to put all the work in a project like this and share,
Thanks Much

pico

Veteran
12245IMG_0960.JPG

I just tested the Super Sun 1 reflector. It did very well. I will not be posting all the data for 2 reasons. First, it isn't really one of the better options for aircooling. It only has 4" vents and they are mostly obstructed. Second, I did not have any glass that fit inside this unit. The Super Sun 2 is actually a little bit bigger then the Super Sun 1.

The average for the Super Sun 1 at 18 inches was 2612. If we just estimate 2-3% loss with glass we can say that it would have probably been 2550 average with glass on. Very good and just right behind the Super Sun 2.

2buds

Thanks Pico for testing the Super Sun original. You know, everyone is down on the 4" flanges but mine runs as cool as cool can be. Maybe in a multi hood environment where 3-6 hoods are lined up it would be a problem, but for a one hood town on a mover in a small space, they rock and can be picked up cheap for a new grower just starting out. So all you new growers, if you grow for yourself and not for a paycheck each week, don't count out a great performer, the Super Sun hoods are quality pieces of equipment. The 4" flanges are a blessing when space is limited, 6" duct work gets bulky quick. Pico , Thanks again for all the work and attention to detail. Peace

pico

Veteran
Yes, I have been meaning to grab some of those actually. The hot spot is very noticeable in my 1000w systems.

I will grab some next week. Probably going to get the 1000w model so expect it with that set of test results.

pico

Veteran
I just ordered the diffuser today.

The 1000 watt testing should be done soon, but god damn my buds are looking so tasty I don't know if I want to move my coolsun reflectors now. When I took them down for the 600w testing I dropped something on the scrog screen and took out a few tops. Woops.

The coolsuns might not be the most efficient, but they deffinatly will grow some good buds.

12245IMG_1003.JPG

Last edited:
T

THCV

rad thread. you are a great help to us all.

is your conclusion that the lower reading of the Cool Sun 8" is due to light lost by the larger 8" hole? I hope not--i love 8" ducting...

pico

Veteran
The vents don't help, but the coolsun XL could deffinately put off more light if it was designed better. It does not have any reflective aluminum on the ends where the 8" outlets are at. Notice on the supersun 2 below that it is totally wrapped with spectral aluminum. They could do the same with the Coolsun XL but that might add to the price.

pico

Veteran

I got the diffuser in. It is the most fragile thing I have ever seen. I will test it sometime in the next week or so.

G

Kickass! I really hope it does the job right, it would be great if this product turned out to be a must have among growers =]

T

THCV

pico, i have a follow-up question. I use the Cool Sun XLs and my canopy is larger than 3x3; in fact, it goes as wide as 7' (measured perpendicular to the bulb). Is it possible that the 20% loss is actually being distributed in the form of a wider, lower intensity canopy coverage? It would be really great to see readings out at 4'-7' for comparison; I am wondering if the excellent performance of the Super Sun just means that outside of the 3x3 grid, light falls off dramatically compared to the Cool Sun XLs.

Here's hoping; personally, i need a wide canopy and I rotate the taller plants on the edges.

N

Neptune

good read, thanks pico.

I am curious about the following reflectors:

Daystar AC
Cool Tube 6", 8"
Silver Star

Someone send those to pico, hurry do it!

Sauce

Great work pico, I am interested to see how the diffuser piece does.

Neptune said:
good read, thanks pico.

I am curious about the following reflectors:

Daystar AC
Cool Tube 6", 8"
Silver Star

Someone send those to pico, hurry do it!

Yeah I am also very interested in these 3, especially the cool tube which is what I use. I know cool tubes give a bad spread and reflection but would like to see some hard data behind it before I go buying a hood. Hopefully you can get a hold of these.

Awesome work so far! :D

pico

Veteran
My hydro store does not carry the cooltubes in stock. They also don't carry Hydrotek stuff so the silverstar and daystar are not likely to be tested. If they did I could probably talk them in to letting me borrow them. I don't have any plans of spending more money on reflectors either. I already have thousands of dollars of these damn things.

THCV- I will be testing all the hoods again with 1000w hps lights and will try to get some light readings from farther out. The test I did was specifically designed for a 3x3 area because I am setting up 3x6 tables with two 600s over the top.

doubleds

it's amazing how much we grow the same bro. I also use ebb & flo tables to catch runoff. I use the cool tubes though, best reflector out there i beleive.

How is growing with an air conditioner. Does any smell leave the room from the ac unti or is it recirculated ? I just purchased a co2 monitoring set up so it looks like ac is a must now. any ac info would be great !!