What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Good coco grow guide, anyone?... anyone?

rabid

Thanks Berry, I have an OLD truncheon meter but it only reads TDS and CF levels and I don't trust it anyway. What I meant to ask was if there is something like the litmus test strips to check liquids for salinity.

I'm curious, what's the best way to prep the coco for transplants. I'm coming from rockwool and I would usually soak it. Should you wet it so that's fully wet with a diluted 1/2 solution of my flowering solution. Thanks!

wygram

"To prepare the husk we first hydrate the bale in two 32 gallon containers at least overnight , and then transfer the hydrated husk and excess water to a second container that has had a large number of holes drilled into the bottom, and about six inches up the sides. After the husk drains, a steady stream of water is washed through until it appears to run clear from the container. Then the husk is again transferred back to the solid container and again covered with water with a few ounces each of Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate (Cal-Mag in our case) added at least overnight. The draining and washing procedure is repeated again using pure water, with the final rinse being extensive. At this point measurements have revealed virtually no significant leachable salts and a pH just slightly below neutral. The conditioning with calcium and magnesium is done because of the moderate Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of the coconut husk. Sodium (Na) and Potassium (K) ions are strongly bound to the CHC. Laboratory comparative analysis of extracts of coconut husk products using distilled water versus a barium chloride solution demonstrate that as much as 2/3 of the Na and K may not be leached by water alone. What then happens is that you cation exchange calcium and magnesium for sodium and potassium in your early fertilized irrigations, creating possible calcium and magnesium deficiencies and sodium and potassium excesses. If you irrigate heavily as we recommend, the problem is quite temporary and limited. Unfortunately, it seems to be more and more common to hear about people using less extensive irrigation practices, and under these circumstances problems may arise. The addition of calcium and magnesium in the wash stages allows for cation exchange to occur then, creating a more balanced state from the start."

Last edited:
If you're using Canna coco, are these steps necessary? I will be using Bionicare Pure Blend Pro with Cal mag. Should I just soak it with water,transplant it, and then water it with a 1/2 solution of nutes after the transplant (thinking of just hand watering for the intial watering). Should I just let it sit for the first day or two to make sure the roots settle, and stick my finger in the medium just to make sure it doesn't dry out.

rabid

That's good info wygram...thanks and tagged. Is this info ^^^^^ from you or ??? Is this a treatment for coco from local (Asian) sources or processed coco coir from distributors? Just asking for info...

Botanicare says their product CocoGro Coir is aged for 18 months and 3 monsoon seasons which sounds contradictory because three wet monsoon seasons = 3 years ...maybe it's 4 1/5 years old, I don't know. We've emailed Botanicare with this question but no reply so far. I'm not calling bogus on Botanicare ( I just received a complimentary 12 lb bale LOL) but maybe...?

Salt/K removal by washing/soaking is a time-consuming, labor-intensive method (when I have to do it, LOL). Do you or anyone else out there know of an alternate method (chemical or ???) to remove salt and potassium other than what you've described in your previous post? Hey, if it works I'll use it!

There is unlimited/free (fine & coarse) coco where we are and we would really like to continue using it but without the salt/K issues. Thanks

Last edited:
G

wygram said:
"To prepare the husk we first hydrate the bale in two 32 gallon containers at least overnight , and then transfer the hydrated husk and excess water to a second container that has had a large number of holes drilled into the bottom, and about six inches up the sides. After the husk drains, a steady stream of water is washed through until it appears to run clear from the container. Then the husk is again transferred back to the solid container and again covered with water with a few ounces each of Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate (Cal-Mag in our case) added at least overnight. The draining and washing procedure is repeated again using pure water, with the final rinse being extensive. At this point measurements have revealed virtually no significant leachable salts and a pH just slightly below neutral. The conditioning with calcium and magnesium is done because of the moderate Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of the coconut husk. Sodium (Na) and Potassium (K) ions are strongly bound to the CHC. Laboratory comparative analysis of extracts of coconut husk products using distilled water versus a barium chloride solution demonstrate that as much as 2/3 of the Na and K may not be leached by water alone. What then happens is that you cation exchange calcium and magnesium for sodium and potassium in your early fertilized irrigations, creating possible calcium and magnesium deficiencies and sodium and potassium excesses. If you irrigate heavily as we recommend, the problem is quite temporary and limited. Unfortunately, it seems to be more and more common to hear about people using less extensive irrigation practices, and under these circumstances problems may arise. The addition of calcium and magnesium in the wash stages allows for cation exchange to occur then, creating a more balanced state from the start."

Holy shit, not only would I not use coco, but I would probably shoot myself if I had to do all that...

1 Botanicare 5kg bale

Add 5-7 gallons of water

Put it in your container

Add plants and food... thats it... same ease with canna coco

Last edited:

rabid

I agree Indica...I'm WAY too lazy to go thru all that crap...but I guess I will have to make some amendments to clean up this crummy coco I have at my unlimited disposal haha.

I'm still waiting on an answer ... was that ^^^ his reply or was he quoting someone else???

Indica, did you use any coco samples from South Asia (Sri Lanka, India)??? I'm thinking GH Clearex could be used to wash out some of the salt in this local stuff. But it would take a LOT to get it squeaky clean.

G

Got samples from just about every major coco exporter... almost all of them except Pele had a high EC... only solution is to flush, flush, flush

rabid

Thanks for the reply Indica. Is that Pele ... the Brazilian soccer star??? He's selling coco now ??? Jeez... everyone is jumping on the coco train... just kidding man, how was that stuff???

I've just hired 6 local girls to stomp the shit out of 200 lbs of coco in the shallow end of my swimmin' pool. That should keep 'em busy---for this afternoon at least...LOL.

In all seriousness, do you think there is any salt-removal agent I can use? Wygrams post ^^^ is appreciated but there has to be an easier way.

Hey mojo, I know you said it couldn't be done (removing the salt from local coco) but I'm a stubborn SOB and I like a challenge...am I pissing in the wind or what???

Last edited:

rabid

Looks like I'm answering myself LOL. The local chicks did their thing and I now have 180 lbs of clean coco with an EC of 0.3. I reckon that's about as clean as it's gonna get. Those girls were something else...it was fun. Now I have to clean the pool...

I'm rehydrating a brick of Botanicare CocoGrow coir and will try it out with the same program as the local coco. Maybe not a fair test but at least I tried haha.

Hey ThaiPhoon, I haven't forgotten you man. Thanks

G

rabid said:
Thanks for the reply Indica. Is that Pele ... the Brazilian soccer star??? He's selling coco now ??? Jeez... everyone is jumping on the coco train... just kidding man, how was that stuff???

I've just hired 6 local girls to stomp the shit out of 200 lbs of coco in the shallow end of my swimmin' pool. That should keep 'em busy---for this afternoon at least...LOL.

In all seriousness, do you think there is any salt-removal agent I can use? Wygrams post ^^^ is appreciated but there has to be an easier way.

Hey mojo, I know you said it couldn't be done (removing the salt from local coco) but I'm a stubborn SOB and I like a challenge...am I pissing in the wind or what???

I think I said it wouldn't be worth all the effort. You'll have to judge that. Congrats on persevering and gettin there. Now go clean your pool - with bleach. Those local gals may just give ya the gift that keeps on givin. Saber Toothed Crotchy Crickets.

Peace

rabid

Pool cleaned...ladies also...
Heaps of coco at 0.2 EC...
Canna nutes arrive tomorrow...
What more can a dude want...

Last edited:
Right On Mojo this is the threads what gave me the basics to a good canna coco feedding schedule now im tweaking and adjustin to my needs!

Rabid Right on brother! Can't wait to c a grow show! keep us posted bro!

best of wishes to you all

Dee9

Hi - I found something that might be useful - check it out at:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=103632

Got it from the rep - explains in detail how to pre-soak with calcium nitrate and how to recycle the coir before using it again. The info is aimed at greenhouse producers using coir for foodstuffs.

Wasn't sure where to post - but there you go! I hope it helps someone.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
could someone please point me in the direction of a good explaination of "run off"? I "think" I've got my head around it - but I want to be absolutely sure - 10% run off from 10 ltr pot = 1 ltr collected from underneath of pot...right?..or...

many thanks
j

Dee9

Managing water content

Managing water content

could someone please point me in the direction of a good explaination of "run off"? I "think" I've got my head around it - but I want to be absolutely sure - 10% run off from 10 ltr pot = 1 ltr collected from underneath of pot...right?..or...

many thanks
j

hey Jamie

I think the 10% run-off is in relation to the amount of liquid you use per pot.

So, if you were to water a 10 liter pot with 1,1 liters of liquid, you should catch 100ml in the bottom of your pot. These values are just hypothetical, since your plant may need more or less than 1 liter water/nutes per watering depending on root development.

I think the main thing with the 10% is just a rought guide to tell you to at least have some run-off.

Remember to let the plants with a smaller root system go bit longer between waterings... it seems to encourage root growth when allowed to get a bit drier ( not bone dry - just not totally saturated)

I found a nice article about managing water content in coco...
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=109976

the author recons the general rule is to keep the water content of the coco high during the vegetative phase to promote vegetative growth, while on the other hand to keep the water content lower during the flowering (generative) phase.

To keep the water content high, he recommends smaller more frequent irrigations, and to keep the water content low, larger amounts of water at less frequent intervals.

Dee9

My pleasure JamieShoes - any new venture can be daunting, and a little guidance just gives one that extra self-confidence...
Good growing and enjoy your results...

Latest posts

Latest posts