What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My ladies are sick, yellowing leaves working their way up, 'burn' spots :(

sunshine1980x

Hi there,

First grow and it 'was' going quite well, then this happened :(

- Feminized Indicia Strain (medi-bomb)
- From seed - 1st Week Oct
- Moved to tent start of Nov
- Topped 2 weeks ago
- Coco Coir
- 2/3 inch of aqua pebbles in the bottom
- 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.6m tent
- 400w HID at the moment,l 18 hours per day, constant 25-27 deg, suspended approx 2-3ft above the canopy
- 6 hours at constant 20-22 deg using an oil rad
- Outside the tent always between in the range of 10-16 deg
- Canna A+B, been using approx 1-1.5ml per 1 litre (1/4 strength)
- Regen-a-root - 1-2ml per litre
- EC values always checked between 700-900
- PH always 6.5-6.7
- Top feeding approx 1 litre per day with a tiny bit of run off each time

Been googling and researching and decided to 'flush' 1.5 litres of plain 6.5 PH through on 19th/20th/21st .. just enough so there was a slow drip/run off from the bottom. Gave them an hour each time and any run off in the trays I poured away. The EC value of the run offs were 2000/3000/4000!

Left them for approx 2.5 days and gave them a bottom feed (last night). The pics are from this morning.

What have I done wrong? Have I messed up bigtime somewhere :( ... can they be saved?

BTW - Just purchased a better EC tester (bluelab), hoping it turns up today.

Appreciate any help or advice

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=75283&pictureid=1803199

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=75283&pictureid=1803200

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=75283&pictureid=1803201

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=75283&pictureid=1803202

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=75283&pictureid=1803203

700-900 ppm is kinda high. I don’t even go over 1.4 ec in flower. Mix up like 1/4 strength nutes and pour that through til your runoff ec hits like 300-400 ppm then give a regular feed at around 1.0. Keep your ec in veg 1.0-1.2 and 1.2-1.4 in flower. Don’t bottom feed...ever. Never feed your coco plain water until the flush before harvest. Get those ppm’s In check and those ladies will bounce back.

sunshine1980x

The 'EC' value on my pen has always been between 700-900. If I switch to 'TDS' (ppm), it reads approx 50% of that value.

I've literally just done a small mix with 1 litre and 1ml Canna A + 1ml Canna B.

Starting PH was 7.6 from the tap, after the nutes, its reading a PH of 6.6. EC value is 706 and TDS/ppm is 355.

This has been my standard mix since day 1 of veg, but I must have messed up somewhere along the line.

sunshine1980x

Did exactly what you suggested and ran approx 5 litres through each plant with a 300 ppm solution. Got the run off ppm down to approx 600 for each one, didn't seem to want to go much lower. Gave them an hour or so and drained each tray so they aren't sat in any feed.

Lights have just come on so went to check on them ... and they look much better already!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, will post some pics.

Thanks for your advice!

hyposomniac

I'm glad Snicks good advice helped.

Your pH is still too high, adjust to 5.9-6.1 and you need to fertigate more often. If you can only feed 1x per day in Coco you will usually run into problems, unless you have huge pots that never dry out.

Also your meter doesn't sound like it's displaying EC, but ppm on two different scales. No biggie just be aware of that when others speak of EC

sunshine1980x

Pictures below after 24 hours. Leaves seem a little more 'perky' but no change in colour.

Any advice on next steps? Do I give them a couple of days before feeding 1/4 strength again?

Thanks in advance!

maimunji

You underfeed 0.7 0.9 e.c is too low. Dump to 2 ml per litter ab.which is around 1.2 e.c. dont grow by run off numbers. Ph is also off. Need to be 5.8-6.2. Possible plants can't uptake nutes with this ph level and buildup occur. Unless you coco medium is cheap not pretreated and full with salt.

Sadly the affected leaves won’t really look any better you want to focus on new growth now. You may be better off doing some chopping lol or you’re gonna end up with monsters after stretch. I’m not telling you to do this but if they were mine I’d top them down to about where the yellowing is. I agree with the above poster as well you don’t wanna grow judging by your runoff numbers but obviously if those numbers are as high as yours were that’s gonna be a problem. Start giving normal feeds around 1.0-1.2ec and make absolutely sure to get your ph in the proper 5.8-6.2 range. Don’t let the pots get even a little dry. They’ll bounce back if you do this ^ i promise :tiphat:

sunshine1980x

So I took your advice and topped them (was thinking about doing this anyway) and gave them a trim. I also received my bluelab meter to double check precisely what I was feeding. As it turns out, the cheap digital meter is pretty much spot on and matched the bluelab readings.

Mixed up 8 litres of tap water with A & B and got the reading bang on 500 ppm / 1.0 EC. PH was approx 6.3 so brough that down to 6.0 with a few drops of PH Down.

Ran 2 litres through each plant and let them drain for approx 1 hour so there was no excess in the trays.

24 hours later we have this :) ... which looks a world away from where I was a couple of days back.

Can't say thank you enough for the advice!

Would you say I'm close to going 12/12? Do I need to give them a week or two to recover first?

Thanks again!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Calibrate your pH pen once a week. Get your pH to 5.8. Flush with clean nutes.

Plants should bounce back in 72hrs. Unless there has been any root die off. I recommend using cold water. 60-65F for watering. More O2 in cold water=happy roots.

Good Luck.

swimman

So I took your advice and topped them (was thinking about doing this anyway) and gave them a trim. I also received my bluelab meter to double check precisely what I was feeding. As it turns out, the cheap digital meter is pretty much spot on and matched the bluelab readings.

Mixed up 8 litres of tap water with A & B and got the reading bang on 500 ppm / 1.0 EC. PH was approx 6.3 so brough that down to 6.0 with a few drops of PH Down.

Ran 2 litres through each plant and let them drain for approx 1 hour so there was no excess in the trays.

24 hours later we have this :) ... which looks a world away from where I was a couple of days back.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75336&pictureid=1804152&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Can't say thank you enough for the advice!

Would you say I'm close to going 12/12? Do I need to give them a week or two to recover first?

Thanks again!

Give em a week to recover, then flip to 12/12.