What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are this philips 360w CMH better than 315W ones?

Maybe i dont understand well, but this ones seems to be almost the same than the 315W ones, but E40 so i can use my old fixture, and work with a magnetic 400W ballast, wich makes the kit quite cheaper, also the bulb is much cheaper than the 315 ones

http://www.lighting.philips.com/mai...stercolour-cdm-mw-eco/928070319230_EU/product

i was comparing it to this one

http://www.lighting.philips.com/mai...m-t-elite-med-wattage/928601167131_EU/product

Spectrum seems simmilar too, so i dont understand why use the expensive 315W ones, unless is a question of heat.

is there anything i am not considering?

I'd also be interested in some informed responses...

I been using Phillips 315 CMH lamps for a few years, but, i have no experience with the other 360W lamp.

You can see from the data sheets that the 315W lamp is more efficient producing 115 lm/W, whereas the 360W lamp produces 98 lm/W.

I think those numbers also imply that the 315W lamp would produce less heat per watt consumed. Also, a 400W HPS ballast WILL produce noticeably more heat than those cute little Phillips CMH ballasts. I can state that from experience.

Cheers
Stond

Yes, efficiency is less, but price is much cheaper, and i am quite sure that Philips 360W are more efficient than many 315W in the market, specially some cheap chinese ones.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I asked the same question as I have on hand a 400w (360) CMH bulb and a 400w magnetic ballast.. I was told that the 315 was constructed differently than the 400w CMH. Same animal different species.. the 315 being mobetta. dont remember the result of the CMH

Jhhnn

Veteran
The 360w lamp appears similar to their 330w lamp-

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com...h-allstart-technology/928601166803_NA/product

They're retrofit lamps for 400w mag ballast MH lighting systems. The 330 was built to equal the light output of regular quartz MH & the 360w apparently built to improve on it while still saving money.

Both are intended for MH ballasts, *not* HPS ballasts. The 360w is *not* rated for open fixtures.

The 330w lamp works well for vegging any kind of plant. I've never used them to flower. I use one for veggie starts & occasionally for seedlings if I want to overlap crops. It's open fixture rated.

315's are a cut above that in terms of efficiency. I replaced a 1000w mag ballast system with twin 315's & really couldn't be more pleased. If it doesn't grow *quite* as well, it's damned close using ~40% less power & correspondingly less total heat as well. They're an excellent choice where electric rates are high & where heat dissipation is a problem.

This 315 lamp will fit mogul fixtures & is open fixture rated but you'll need an electronic 315 ballast to run it-

http://www.lighting.philips.com/mai...al-halide/mastercolor-cdm-elite-mw-mogul-base

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The 360w lamp appears similar to their 330w lamp-

https://www.usa.lighting.philips.co...h-allstart-technology/928601166803_NA/product

They're retrofit lamps for 400w mag ballast MH lighting systems. The 330 was built to equal the light output of regular quartz MH & the 360w apparently built to improve on it while still saving money.

Both are intended for MH ballasts, *not* HPS ballasts. The 360w is *not* rated for open fixtures.

The 330w lamp works well for vegging any kind of plant. I've never used them to flower. I use one for veggie starts & occasionally for seedlings if I want to overlap crops. It's open fixture rated.

315's are a cut above that in terms of efficiency. I replaced a 1000w mag ballast system with twin 315's & really couldn't be more pleased. If it doesn't grow *quite* as well, it's damned close using ~40% less power & correspondingly less total heat as well. They're an excellent choice where electric rates are high & where heat dissipation is a problem.

This 315 lamp will fit mogul fixtures & is open fixture rated but you'll need an electronic 315 ballast to run it-

https://www.lighting.philips.com/ma...al-halide/mastercolor-cdm-elite-mw-mogul-base
I'm looking at replacing a 600w LED with CMH light. I like the idea of the duel bulb or even 2 single bulb fixtures. You say: "& is open fixture rated".. did i miss something and these bulbs are not to be used in air cooled hoods?

positivity

Veteran
I've been running one of my cmh in a a/c hood with no problems. It does have indirect cooling where it cools in the cavity between the housing and reflective material though. There seems to be some people running regular a/c hoods without problems.
Not familiar with the 360w lamp. The 315w alibaba ballast I have has a overdrive at 355w which I used most of last grow. Worked well, even in a small tent

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DT: Philips makes a t9 and a t12 style.bulb. one for open hood/bare bulb, one for enclosed hoods. [/FONT]

Thank you for information I can explore.

I've been running one of my cmh in a a/c hood with no problems. It does have indirect cooling where it cools in the cavity between the housing and reflective material though. There seems to be some people running regular a/c hoods without problems.
Not familiar with the 360w lamp. The 315w alibaba ballast I have has a overdrive at 355w which I used most of last grow. Worked well, even in a small tent
and you too, P.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Yes
7x big kahuna hoods
7x cmh bulb adapters
7x prism.ballasts (gen 1 whites case)
Philips cdm.elite and elite agro bulbs

Going on my 5th flower run.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm looking at replacing a 600w LED with CMH light. I like the idea of the duel bulb or even 2 single bulb fixtures. You say: "& is open fixture rated".. did i miss something and these bulbs are not to be used in air cooled hoods?

T12 lamps can be used in any kind of fixtures. T9 lamps lack the second layer of glass that T12's have & are rated only for enclosed fixtures which includes air cooled reflectors.

UL rated open 315 reflectors use an exclusionary PGZX lampholder that won't accept T9 lamps. T12 lamps will fit them and non-exclusionary PGZ lampholders as well.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
DT: Thanks again, I priced out the adapters, ballast and bulbs to set up an old, but never used, Growzilla hood (AC-duel bulb) and it priced out about the same cost as a two bulb 630w complete package, hood,ballast and bulbs... or 2 single bulb 315w completer packages.. why am I going to go the adapter route?

Jhhnn: Thank you for that information, that clears things up for me..
Is one supposed to be more efficient or better than the other?
and selection of a $100 bulb vs a $50 bulb, like HIDs, is a personal choice?

Jhhnn

Veteran
DT: Thanks again, I priced out the adapters, ballast and bulbs to set up an old, but never used, Growzilla hood (AC-duel bulb) and it priced out about the same cost as a two bulb 630w complete package, hood,ballast and bulbs... or 2 single bulb 315w completer packages.. why am I going to go the adapter route?

Jhhnn: Thank you for that information, that clears things up for me..
Is one supposed to be more efficient or better than the other?
and selection of a $100 bulb vs a $50 bulb, like HIDs, is a personal choice?

If you intend to use a mogul lamp reflector then this lamp requires no adapter-

MasterColor CDM Elite CDM 315/U/O/4K ED37

It's the 4200K version which I have not used but others report good results. It's open fixture rated.

Another member brought this ballast to my attention-

Amazon.com : C.M.H. 630 Remote Dual Lamps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I haven't used it, either, but it seems like a reasonable possibility.

I suspect that T9 lamps are slightly cheaper in the commercial lighting market than T12's due to simpler construction. The vast majority of commercial lighting fixtures are enclosed. Performance is functionally identical at the same color temp across all Philips 315 lamp packages.

I've been using genuine Philips 3100K lamps for two years & likely won't change when I relamp after the current batch. I might go with their 4200K lamps if I can find a killer price but otherwise intend to stick with Philips lamps. I seriously doubt that others are any better & could be worse in terms of lumen maintenance so I stick with what I know.

Is there much of a difference in 930 vs 942? I want 942 but the kit I'm looking at comes with 930. They're hellish expensive here and this one seems reasonably priced. Will be paired with 600w hps vertical

There much extra blue with a 930 compared to the hps?

brown_thumb

Is there much of a difference in 930 vs 942? I want 942 but the kit I'm looking at comes with 930. They're hellish expensive here and this one seems reasonably priced. Will be paired with 600w hps vertical

Ask the vendor if they'll substitute the 930's with 942's.

Jhhnn

Veteran

The spectral difference between the philips lamps isn't much. They all have enormously more blue than HPS and enormously less infrared.

Any flavor of 315 will do the job well.

http://boulderlamp.com/315w-agro/

Latest posts

Latest posts