What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To much support?

motaman82

I'm noticing that I'm having to stake almost 60% of the branches to hold them up and this is new to me. I usually stake maybe 20%. Is there something different I need to be doing. I have two large oscillating fan which I thought would have made the stems stronger. Any input is appreciated

motaman82

Not quite sure

Not quite sure

I'm currently using maxibloom which has calcium listed as 5% and maxibloom npk is 5-15-14.I'm honestly not sure if that's enough?

PdxFarms

Could be a number of things. Too crowded, poor light penetration. I've seen some of mine under perfect conditions go all through flower without needing anything but a couple stakes. And other times a stake on each branch. Either the buds get so big and heavy they can't hold themselves up (we hope so) or they've stretched a bit under poor lighting and have longer weaker stem.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Tried silicon, got nute lockout. Upped the calcium from 1% to 5%, that helped everything except the branch bending.

Did a slow changeover to taller plants. No more droopy branches but five out of seven plants have grown above the lights. My fault for not heeding warnings of tripling in height. Now I know it is true and will put them in under 2' instead of 3'.
I hope this does not bring back the sagging branches.

motaman82

Could be a number of things. Too crowded, poor light penetration. I've seen some of mine under perfect conditions go all through flower without needing anything but a couple stakes. And other times a stake on each branch. Either the buds get so big and heavy they can't hold themselves up (we hope so) or they've stretched a bit under poor lighting and have longer weaker stem.
Yeah a stake a branch is more like it .Anything with a top bud bigger than my thumb is bent over.

Is this a strain you've grown before and now this is happening or just a new strain? Probably just bad genetics, don't grow it again. I definitely see a difference in the strength of the branches when I use Silica and when I don't.

motaman82

New genetics

New genetics

No it's the first time growing this strain. I also think it might have something to do with the light penetration of my LEDs.we shall see I added animal cookies and Platinum of to my collection today.

Check out a product called Mammoth P. Its pretty awesome. It helps with stem stregth. I am using it and loving the results.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I definitely see a difference in the strength of the branches when I use Silica and when I don't.
Same here.

Pro-Tekt from potassium silicate has been used in large amounts during veg (and early stretch), in my own gardens. Beautiful plants, super strong branches and vascular systems. Using a nute balance very close to Lucas ratio, zero lockouts.

YMMV

motaman82

Thank you

Thank you

Thanks for the advice guys. @oilman5150 : the product you mentioned looks super interesting. Have you had any experience with this product?It makes some bold claims on their website.
Also after further research many people who grew Do si do had the same problem. It seems long internode stretching during the flowering transition is a familiar trait for this strain.