What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not getting much smell from my flowers. Need advice please

Hello I have been growing for 10 years and like to think I have been doing a pretty good job at it. I avg almost 2lbs power light and grow in 8x4 trays in 10gal smart pots coco/perlite mix, flood and drain. I use two double ended hps bulbs per tray. I use a modified lucas formula with cuttimg edge base, cool bloom, and a few other additives. I feed 2-3 times a day in flower for 15 min each time. Ppm is around 1100-1300 depending on week of flower. I flush with water and molassas the let well twice a day. I grow 5-6 plants per tray and they full out the double trellis above each tray. I grow many different strains like mothers milk, aliem og, bbk, the white, doc og, blue dream, galatic glue, Hitman og, mango kush and a couple others. Some strains I've cloned for years and some are new from need or first gen clones. My temps are 82 in the day and 65-75 at night depending on the season. I use co2. The problem is I've noticed that my finished flower isn't as fragrant add it should be. I know many growers and their stuff stinks. I thought I just didn't smell it cause I got used to the smell but many people say my bud is great looking and potent but not that smelly. I dry in a room in my shop that's dark and about 75 degrees. Humidity is 55% . When small twigs snap I put buds in turkey bags and do a final trim. I do a rough first trim when I chip down the plant to hang. I then jar everything and burb. My flower room is perpetual so I harvest a tray every 2 weeks but even my room doesn't smell do i don't think it's my drying technique. Any idea or ways to fix this issue? This happens with almost all my strains. Thanks

getbuck

Just a newbie here but when my plants were suffering from mag-def and I corrected that, they started smelling WAY more. Maybe you have a slight def of a nutrient that doesnt show itself other than muffled nose? Other idea that comes to mind is might there be a temperature problem somewhere in there? Since the smell is terps and the most fragile terps get released at suprisingly low temperatures...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Common things I've found which decrease funk:

Overfeeding (Even if it's only one element in excess)
pH too high/low
quick dry
Use/Improper Use of additives
Jarred too soon

I ONLY use r/o water, basic lucas nutes, pH up, mag sulfate and liquid silicon. My terpene profile is off the charts. I haven't seen anything matching my kind of quality since 2008. Try skipping all the additives and the molasses and kill it with the basics. Try again with the additives later, if you still feel it's necessary.

I also flower at 72F/25RH, with a longer veg time to compensate.

St. Phatty

I agree, it's good to have control over your grow process so the plants are "all they can be".

But HECK !!!

A solid grow technique that minimizes smell ?! Seems like, a lot of people would be interested.

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I've noticed that the plants grow from seed have more smell. They seem to loose little smell every time I clone them. ( I take cuts from cuts .

Buddler

Veteran
Why such big pots of coco are you doing a long veg ? if not I would look into smaller pots and lower ppms I run 2 gall smartys and 1 gal in coco DTW I think about 1.5 gall would be perfect short veg load pot up with roots then multifeed in flower, I was given some samples of additives so I thought try it its free tried out some bud candy and was amazed by the smell of finished product .B

Granger2

Veteran
How close are your lights to the plants? I've started keeping my lights high above, 3-3.5 ft. for the last 4 weeks. This has helped. I used to have the same problem. Good luck. -granger

How close are your lights to the plants? I've started keeping my lights high above, 3-3.5 ft. for the last 4 weeks. This has helped. I used to have the same problem. Good luck. -granger

thanks everyone for the advice. my DE hps hoods are about 2.5-3ft above the canapy. I thougth the same thing so I raised them up. They used to be 2ft or so.

I veg in 3-5 gallon smart pots and transplant into 10s two weeks before harvest. I veg for about 5 weeks. my roots are always busting threw and the pots are dry in veg after a day if i keep them in 3-5gal pots in late veg. Even after i put them in 10s they fill out the 8x4 tray with roots. i cover the top of the trays with panda film so it stays dark from the top of the pots to the tray so the roots won't see light and they will grow all over the tray. This also helps keep any gnats from getting access to the coco or roots. I have used sugaree and bud candy for last two weeks only many times before and it didn't do that much. My stuff doens't smell like hay or anything. It just doens't have that super smell that you can smell from a distance. I live on a couple acres with no close neighbors in Oregon. I'm licensed medical grower so I'm not worried about the smell. I do wish when I lived in a neighborhood though that i had this problem lol. thanks again

$eriously$illy

You didn't mention whether or not you're using a "scent neutralizer" product such as ONA or a similar product, or equipment such a negative ion generator. Generally, things that reduce the odor within the grow space also tend to compromise the aroma of the finished product, so the deodorant is best left outside the space, if possible.

Also, HPS light -- even in a well-cooled system -- is unfavorable for maximum terpene development and stability. UV-B wavelenths in the 320-290nm range are said to increase terpenes, or at least slow their degradation, so replacing the HPS with CMH, Metal Halide and/or reptile UVB lights.

If you're running a perpetual setup, another option is moving them to the least-well lit part of the space.`

Easy7

Veteran
Organic soil with sulfur and shit. Makes some rank and dank terps. Some is pheno too.

Try curing without a manicure. Final manicure after cure.

As well as above advice

$eriously$illy

To clarify my previous post, since I can't edit yet...

"...so replacing the HPS with CMH, Metal Halide or even reptile UVB lights for the last week or so of ripening."

"...another option is moving them to the least well-lit part of the space for the last week or so of ripening."

Douglas.Curtis

Also, HPS light -- even in a well-cooled system -- is unfavorable for maximum terpene development and stability. UV-B wavelenths in the 320-290nm range are said to increase terpenes, or at least slow their degradation, so replacing the HPS with CMH, Metal Halide and/or reptile UVB lights.
Still killing it with HPS and basic nutes here, haven't seen anything even close to the quality from street or dispo in 8 years now. You don't need fancy lighting or additives for phenomenal terpene production. Light feed of a balanced mix, in the right environment.

That's all.

Still killing it with HPS and basic nutes here, haven't seen anything even close to the quality from street or dispo in 8 years now. You don't need fancy lighting or additives for phenomenal terpene production. Light feed of a balanced mix, in the right environment.

That's all.

thanks I'm been thinking I'm watering too much in late flowering. i'm flooding 2-3 times a day for 15 min with molassas. what grow method and nute regimen are you using? thanks again

You didn't mention whether or not you're using a "scent neutralizer" product such as ONA or a similar product, or equipment such a negative ion generator. Generally, things that reduce the odor within the grow space also tend to compromise the aroma of the finished product, so the deodorant is best left outside the space, if possible.

If you're running a perpetual setup, another option is moving them to the least-well lit part of the space.`

i have all my plants under 2 layers of 4x4" trelles and they are on trays so it is impossible to move them until they are cut down. I have noticed a bit of light burn on strains that really stretch. since i can't move them in flower would turning down the ballast to 75% or even 50% be worth a try in late flower?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I strongly believe in not bagging bud till it is dry. Even if you do everything right, if you bag it with a few % RH over the desired, it rehydrates the bud and some of the terpenes and THC glands "compost"... just degrade, at a guess.

The best smelling weed for me is, properly mature, flushed, hung upside down whole plant dried, when the dry buds just move away from the stem without snapping, remove, trim, bag. Like this, they are fine to smoke pretty much immediately.

Lower temps and RH and light in the last few weeks, they are not really growing then, just finishing what they already have. All you can do at this point is fuck them with mistreatment

Douglas.Curtis

thanks I'm been thinking I'm watering too much in late flowering. i'm flooding 2-3 times a day for 15 min with molassas. what grow method and nute regimen are you using? thanks again
Slightly modified Lucas, GH Flora, DWC. I fade the last few weeks and then do a switch out with pure R/O for 4-5 days before chop.

Eagerly awaiting the day I come across better cannabis than mine again. It's been 8 years since the last time and I've seriously upped my game since then on quality. lol

great info, this site is the one stop shop for all the straight knowledge on growing!! Just curious what RH% do you look for when jarring? i have very small humidity meters that i put in my large mason jars so i can see what the rh is. i find it is around 56-58%. good or need more drying??

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
great info, this site is the one stop shop for all the straight knowledge on growing!! Just curious what RH% do you look for when jarring? i have very small humidity meters that i put in my large mason jars so i can see what the rh is. i find it is around 56-58%. good or need more drying??

IIRC it is 62%... Check out Simon's thread on "A perfect cure every time".... a real goldmine of information there