What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Ever Newbie Summer Bud Contest

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This is an excellent idea, so kudos to all of you who are involved in making it happen: NYUF, Payaso, and others. This is wonderful! Good luck to all of you who enter. :)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Well I like the idea, except the part that says:

The quality of the information in the Grow Diary.
The frequency and presentation of updates (weekly updates?).
The quality of photographs and or videos.
The design setup explained, details can make for a really great thread.
Unique setup and design.
The amount of interest in the grow.
Strain review.
Smoke report.
Answers to questions in the thread.
The end result, the quality of the harvest.

These are the criteria to be used to judge the contest. So it's NOT JUST THE END RESULT, nor is it based solely upon how the plants look, how big they are, or how well they smoke. It's about how well the grower did documenting the grow and other factors like innovation or responding to questions.

This is not about a bud contest, it is a contest to see who does the best job reporting what they have done, why, and so on. But lets be honest, is that anywhere near as important as the final bud qualities? Not in my book, never will be.
Even bud is just a messenger, not the real message, which is the resin.

Think if I had a contest for hashish and I said the quality, the looks, the smell, the effects, potency were not very important, only how well you documented the hash making? WTF, it does not matter, the best is the best even if made by a blind illiterate, with no info or photos at all. At least to me.
So to get this straight, if a grower has really great quality of info in his grow diary, with
frequent and good presentation of updates (weekly updates?), and quality photos and/or videos, good setup design explanations with lots of details, unique setup & design, lots of interest in the grow, strain review, smoke report, answers to all questions, and finally the end result the quality of the harvest? Even if he grows hemp with no THC at all?
I understand you are trying to bring newbies into the fold, but are you really teaching them that communication and info is more important then quality? It is not true.
I would vote for the best big haze grown outdoors, for me that would be the best, I have little need of info on how to grow in an indoors under lights setup, I have zero interest, I do have interest in better quality, bigger, etc.
I understand that many people are still growing indoors under lights, and maybe newbies will get benefit from this contest, but what about the rest, quality trumps information in almost all cases.
Quality should be number one unless you want newbies to think quality is not number one.
I would think that most newbies want quality or quantity, or both, that needs to be the number one priority.
Quality is always first, if not then WTF???

Next time lets have a newbie contest for the best quality/quantity outdoors with minimum input, focus on the quality, not just the process, I can give 1,000 seeds total of many of my varieties to the winner.
My 2 cents worth....
-SamS

Last edited:

locoezon

Phew!! I've got 12(13 with this one) more posts that the competition required!

Anyway, Good luck and have fun everyone.
Cheers :smokeit:

Sorry Guy's

Sorry Guy's

Well I like the idea, except the part that says:

The quality of the information in the Grow Diary.
The frequency and presentation of updates (weekly updates?).
The quality of photographs and or videos.
The design setup explained, details can make for a really great thread.
Unique setup and design.
The amount of interest in the grow.
Strain review.
Smoke report.
Answers to questions in the thread.
The end result, the quality of the harvest.

These are the criteria to be used to judge the contest. So it's NOT JUST THE END RESULT, nor is it based solely upon how the plants look, how big they are, or how well they smoke. It's about how well the grower did documenting the grow and other factors like innovation or responding to questions.

This is not about a bud contest, it is a contest to see who does the best job reporting what they have done, why, and so on. But lets be honest, is that anywhere near as important as the final bud qualities? Not in my book, never will be.
Even bud is just a messenger, not the real message, which is the resin.

Think if I had a contest for hashish and I said the quality, the looks, the smell, the effects, potency were not very important, only how well you documented the hash making? WTF, it does not matter, the best is the best even if made by a blind illiterate, with no info or photos at all. At least to me.
So to get this straight, if a grower has really great quality of info in his grow diary, with
frequent and good presentation of updates (weekly updates?), and quality photos and/or videos, good setup design explanations with lots of details, unique setup & design, lots of interest in the grow, strain review, smoke report, answers to all questions, and finally the end result the quality of the harvest? Even if he grows hemp with no THC at all?
I understand you are trying to bring newbies into the fold, but are you really teaching them that communication and info is more important then quality? It is not true.
I would vote for the best big haze grown outdoors, for me that would be the best, I have little need of info on how to grow in an indoors under lights setup, I have zero interest, I do have interest in better quality, bigger, etc.
I understand that many people are still growing indoors under lights, and maybe newbies will get benefit from this contest, but what about the rest, quality trumps information in almost all cases.
Quality should be number one unless you want newbies to think quality is not number one.
I would think that most newbies want quality or quantity, or both, that needs to be the number one priority.
Quality is always first, if not then WTF???

Next time lets have a newbie contest for the best quality/quantity outdoors with minimum input, focus on the quality, not just the process, I can give 1,000 seeds total of many of my varieties to the winner.
My 2 cents worth....
-SamS

Anyway, Good luck and have fun everyone.
Cheers :smokeit:

I'm Sorry Guys for anyone who Is displeased with the contest. Please understand that the rules were a collaborative effort amongst many minds and set to achieve the ideas as a team effort. Sam thank you for your offering you've already got my mind churning lol. Thanks for understanding.

Respectfully,

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

RandomMan

I Build Things
ICMag Donor
-SamS

Just convinced me to run your gear (no offense that I haven't before, I'm extremely limited in current resources). Jaw-dropping gesture, Sam. I can't believe you're so willing to give. :tiphat:

God bless you and those like you.

EDIT: Thank you for giving your input to the community. Only those with superior experience can truly offer help to the masses (just my way of seeing things, not trying to offend anyone). We're fortunate to have such invaluable insight.

I'm Sorry Guys for anyone who Is displeased with the contest. Please understand that the rules were a collaborative effort amongst many minds and set to achieve the ideas as a team effort. Sam thank you for your offering you've already got my mind churning lol. Thanks for understanding.

Hopefully nobody is a dick enough to be displeased with you (personally) or your efforts. I think these are people just giving input, a critique, if you will. Keep your head high, man. This contest might not be perfect but you can learn how to make the next one better by not getting caught up on imperfections with the current contest. If I were you, I'd consider ANYTHING an accomplishment. Just my :2cents: .

Last edited:

locoezon

NYUrbanFarmer i respect the contest rules and i don't blame the criteria to get someone on this.

And only u've made a ​​contest to get even more interesting,for me is enough!

:tiphat:

Problem with Outdoors Sam is that some of us live in cities and can't get a plant outside.

So how about the same premises you just spoke of, but two seperate categories. Indoor/Outdoor newbie crops, different awards for each.

I'm an indoor guy. Closest piece of land I could grow on to me is currently occupied by half chopped cars, broken grocery carts and a field soaked in asparagus prostitute piss.

So yea, soil is kinda of contaminated. :)

Oh and if it hasn't been said before,

Thanks to everyone involved for putting this together. I'm sure everyone is grateful and no one is displeased with the contest.

I for one, am extremely appreciative.

Last edited:
Sweet!

Sweet!

Problem with Outdoors Sam is that some of us live in cities and can't get a plant outside.

So how about the same premises you just spoke of, but two seperate categories. Indoor/Outdoor newbie crops, different awards for each.

I'm an indoor guy. Closest piece of land I could grow on to me is currently occupied by half chopped cars, broken grocery carts and a field soaked asparagus prostitute piss.

So yea, soil is kinda of contaminated. :)

Oh and if it hasn't been said before,

Thanks to everyone involved for putting this together. I'm sure everyone is grateful and no one is displeased with the contest.

Thanks Steady..... yeah you got a point on the outdoor growing. Im in NY right outside NYC that means outdoor growing is a NONO for me!

NYUF

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Ok let's answer some questions here!

Rik:
I will be testing for Red Eyes Genetics, and they have ask us to make the journals in the Seedbay Test Grows... can I still taken part?.... or its set in stone has to be in Grow Diaries Forum?

You can do just the one diary on the Seedbay test grow section... your diary is the important part, and can be anywhere on the site if it is setup as your grow diary and we can point voters to it to review at the end...

locoezon:

I think we should make an exception and allow growers who are within a few posts at the start of the contest... I want to include everyone who wants to be part of this! If no one else objects I think you should enter!

And to Sam the Skunkman!

I read your comments carefully and do agree with your points. However, this contest is already under way with lots of interest from folks who are willing to do the reports and document their grow... this is the main idea, getting folks to document their grows and share the knowledge they learn with the world.

In this type of contest it is impossible to judge the final result as being the 'best bud.' We should have named the contest differently perhaps... it should be called the Grow Diary Contest LOL! How would people vote without trying the bud for themselves? We can't organize that type of contest thru the site unfortunately, that's why there is a 420 in Amsterdam or wherever... The ONLY criteria anyone has to vote on in this type of contest is the information presented, the images shown and the diligence of the grower in showing off his stuff.

Also, being summertime up in the Northern Hemisphere, I thought to include outdoor as well as indoor grows. Around here everyone grows outdoors in summer... using mother nature's lighting. (What a concept!!!)

And Sam, let's do that contest if you really want to!

My 2 cents worth....
-SamS

Now that would be one to enter!!!

Thank you all for your interest and happy growing to all!

locoezon

Thanks Steady..... yeah you got a point on the outdoor growing. Im in NY right outside NYC that means outdoor growing is a NONO for me!

NYUF

I grow also in country that marijuana growing isn't allowed even Indoor for personal needs! I fighting against the system and growing outdoor for my personal use,so don't pay DEALERS that make black money from IT!

I grow also in country that marijuana growing isn't allowed even Indoor for personal needs! I fighting against the system and growing outdoor for my personal use,so don't pay DEALERS that make black money from IT!

Loco I absolutely understand and agree, however I wouldn't want to see anyone put themselves at extra risk just to grow outdoors to enter a contest I was involved in creating. I don't know about anyone else and cant speak for anyone else but I'm not quite sure if your agreeing with my previous post or not; alls I know is the contest is for fun and getting in trouble to participate isn't my idea of fun, so........... I would say growing outdoors in a area where growing is not accepted would certainly be at your own risk. IMO :noway:

Respectfully,

NYUF

Luv'n It!

Luv'n It!

mmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhmmmmmmhhhhhmmmmmmm...........I'M LOVIN IT! :party::trampoline:

ITS PARTY TIME :plant grow:! :groupwave:

Thanks guys for signing up

NYUF :tiphat:

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

just submitted mine as well and am excited to get in on the action! i think i got lady luck on my side ;)

Our first lady contestant!

Our first lady contestant!

just submitted mine as well and am excited to get in on the action! i think i got lady luck on my side ;)

Glad to see you join up. I think the strains your gonna do are gonna be awesome. A contest aint a contest without a lady. Good Luck I'm root'n for ya.

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts