What's new

Carbon and silica w bho?

Gtir

Can I use a carbon scrub and silica filter within my bho systems? Thinking of sending my oil laden butane through a few filter plates packed w carbon, then silica? Any flaws?

yes you can. just make sure that you set you silica bed well. I like to use a coffee filter around my ring and filter paper, then a hand placed bed of sand, before pouring my silica bed. I've had amazing results doing this, especially cleaning up dark high-terpene live resin that is poured off of the high cannabinoid layer. Soon, I will be testing other sorbents to test if this is a viable method for pesticide remediation without the need for higher BP solvents or distillation.

Gtir

yes you can. just make sure that you set you silica bed well. I like to use a coffee filter around my ring and filter paper, then a hand placed bed of sand, before pouring my silica bed. I've had amazing results doing this, especially cleaning up dark high-terpene live resin that is poured off of the high cannabinoid layer. Soon, I will be testing other sorbents to test if this is a viable method for pesticide remediation without the need for higher BP solvents or distillation.

Silica bed needs to be set well so the carbon doesn’t find its way around it, right?

Do you think carbon beads or powder?

Gtir

What do you mean about the coffee filter?

I wrap the coffee filter around the retaining ring in my filter plate to keep anything from making it's way between the ring and the column wall. I take a large batch and add the desired amount of carbon and betonite to it and heat to 45C in a flask for 30 minutes. Then I put it in a small column valved above my large column, packed with the silica bed. I introduce enough solvent to saturate the bed then start adding my solution and solvent from the top, mixing by opening valves to release solution and solvent simultaneously so that the cooling of the solvent doesn't chill the solution to where it doesn't dissolve.

After introducing enough solvent ( I use propane) to get a 5-1 to 10-1 ratio solvent-solution, I chill the column to -40 to drop the waxes out. Then I pressurize from the top with nitrogen and push the solution into through the filter bed and into the collection pot. It's a dewax and scrub done simultaneously. It can be done with any sub-par oil to improve quality immensely.

Latest posts

Latest posts