What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is this a WINGED ROOT APHID??

First off, My grow in question is in DWC hydro.

I have been noticing what i originally thought to be Fungus Gnats in my reservoir.
I did some research and discovered that Winged Root Aphids and Fungus Gnats are commonly mistaken for each other! Also, i learned that the presence of Winged Root Aphids can attract Fungus Gnats because they will chew on the roots causing the roots to decay which then attracts fungus gnats.
So now I'm wondering if I have a presence of Winged Root Aphids and not just Fungus Gnats??
This morning, I grabbed one of the sticky traps that have been hanging for a couple weeks now and took it with me to work. I am at work now and just finished taking microscope photos of the bugs from the sticky traps. Sorry its hard to see the insect completely since they are stuck to the sticky traps, i will try to catch some when i get home and take better photos! But here is the one photo that sorta resembles a winged RA to me. Can you guys please confirm if it is or not?

EbqtnRy.jpg

buzzmobile

Veteran
That looks like a gnat. Root aphids have two 'cornicles' (look like tailpipes) at the rear of the abdomen.

Cornicles-Q-01-1-300x199.png

If you see cornicles it is an aphid. Get the microscope out again.

Thank you guys so much.i was 80% sure cuz I sprayed insecticidal soap to get rid of a tiny whitefly presence. Next day all the gnats were gone so i was getting confident they were just gnats and not aphids. Just wanted some confirmation. Thanks so much guys what a relief!!

Would appreciate if a moderator deleted this thread. Sorry I shouldve just posted in the sticky

Latest posts

Latest posts