What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

burned pistils (hairs) early flower

ripndip

Long time farmer here. Got caught off guard with a pest infestation and have had to start a spray regiment for russet mites at 2 weeks and 4 days into flower. I had very developed flower sets with perfect pistil formation, except all of the lower flower sites were dying and the plants were quickly losing color. The plants after a week of alternating sprays of Grandevo, pyganic and plant therapy (now 3 weeks and 3 days) are looking much better but the pistils are totally brown. I am wondering what others have experienced with this type of situation. The plants including the leaves are totally undamaged and as I said are looking much better than they did a week ago.
Under the microscope I cannot find any living mites. I will inoculate with predatory mites on Tuesday. What is the recovery like for the plants? Do the burned pistils create issues later on with quality? Should I expect a delayed timing of harvest? Any experiences to share would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
The plants will still finish.
As long as the mites are gone.
You know as well as I, the pistols are there to receive pollen, your growing weed without seeds. It will be fine.
The only concern I would have would be in case of a stress hermie. But then again, burned out pistols, no fertilization.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
after a week of alternating sprays of Grandevo, pyganic and plant therapy...
you've successfully created dispensary quality cannabis?

No offense, but with russets and at 3 weeks in, I would have pulled everything. The cannabis is disgustingly tainted now. It's also significantly easier to get rid of russets in veg and an empty flower room.

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
Although I agree with you on the contamination Douglas Curtis.
The assessment is a little harsh.

ripndip

I have been producing for dispensaries for over ten years. If this was just a grow tent I would chop it. But, it is 250 sq/ft of canopy. I also just completely renovated the space and this is my first cycle after missing an entire run. Took three months to do it all. Burned up most of my reserves at this point and starting over would be very difficult. I don’t ever buy clones, but as part of my renovation I invested many thousands into new genetics from what is supposed to be the most reputable genetics lab in the state. They are claiming somewhere between me and them in other words the dispensary that I picked my order up at they became infected. There is no doubt at all that they were infected from the start. I did use my scope to inspect the leaves of several plants when I got them. But, even with a scope the eggs are difficult to see and identify. Unfortunately I did not ever come across an adult. Only after a month of veg and two weeks into flower about 30% of the plants simply refusing to grow normally did I finally pull the scope out again and finally came across adult russet mites. I’m thinking of giving them one more week and see how they look. I stripped the plants of all fan leaves and did a heavy spray regiment. The mites are for the most part dead and whatever is left will be eaten by the quadruple over saturation of predatory mites. My issue is how do flowers bounce back if all the pistils are burned up from spraying? If the plants didn’t look so healthy I would start over and somehow financially swing it. As well all of the sprays were organic and non residue forming. I do not produce chemy flowers. Any feedback or experience with such a situation greatly appreciated. I would include some pics but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have been producing for dispensaries for over ten years. If this was just a grow tent I would chop it. But, it is 250 sq/ft of canopy.
I understand this isn't the subject of the thread, it is however the cause of the problem. I personally object to canopies of such $ize, for the very reason$ you're po$ting thi$ thread.

Do you have plans for breaking it up in the future, with fewer lights per room and separate air filtration for each? Doing this, along with management technique changes, will significantly reduce the possibility of future cross contamination.

ripndip

Just doing a follow up. I report that my strategy was successful and the mites were 99% eradicated, and even more importantly, there was nearly 100% recovery of quality on half the space and the other half there are some burned pistils that are showing through but it truly looks no different than flowers just finishing and experiencing natural pistil dieback (turning red). No 'chemicals' used for spraying and everything organic. The plants stopped growing for about a week and did lose some vitality in general (not all but most) and then got going again. I think there will be minimal loss in production. So, without a doubt the right choice was to move forward. I will come out way ahead.

ripndip

To answer the question about breaking the space up into different zones. My reply is as follows: Considering how many cycles I have done over almost two decades and this is only the second time I have had a issue like this I would not choose to do so. The expense of all those fans and controllers and the total system complexity I do not think it would be worth it. Seems to me there are always needs for adaptation with any system. A solid IPM, which I get more experience with all the time is needed either way and should do the job. Its all mostly process. Not saying it couldn't be better if it were that way but at this time not compelled.