What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

midwest growers unite

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Lostinethereal: after messing with rockwool cubes and hydro cloning, I've settled on Jiffy peat pellets and Jiffy fiber pots for propagation...

Flofourthharvest01.JPG

This is a shot of a Flo in a bubble tub. Instead of a netpot and hydroton, I put a Jiffy peat pellet in a Jiffy fiber pot.

Flofourthharvest03.JPG

Roots grow right through the fiber pot...

Here's a thread on using peat pucks (pellets) for cloning: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=74405

Under a humidity dome, I get roots popping out of the pellets in 7-10 days (so long as the cutting is big enough...)
They go into a Jiffy pot, then into a bubble tub for a week or two of veg, enough to get roots popping out of the pot.
Then into the flowering closet for the finish.
:rasta:

Nice thing about Jiffy pots and pellets is they're cheap ($2 for 25 pellets) and available at Home Depot. Although lately I haven't been able to find the Jiffy Pots. Home Depot did carry them in the spring but haven't seen them since. May have to go to a gardening store to find them...

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
I cant wait to watch the new grow shows you guys are gonna have, with these new great genes. Goodluck Midwesterners :)

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
bird - yeah i saved a clone of VC #2 to use as a mom. only 1/3 were female. there are two main phenos. one is more dense, but lacking in trich coverage and the other one is more sativa foxtail with good trich coverage. i still got some beans, so might have to crack em.

L

lostinethereal

Thanks for the tips bababooey, I had planned to try them out for cloning as they work great for starting seeds. There's a thread somewhere from fairly recently that someone posted about cloning made easy with the jiffy pellets, ah here it is:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95231

I don't need to take any right now, I don't think it'll be very practical to work a mom into my setup right now. I don't have anywhere to keep a mother/cuttings atm.

Quick question to my fellow midwesterners out there, does anyone have any experience with cannacopia seeds? I saw 'em over at hempdepot, and it seems like some nice stuff to choose from for a bargain. I was originally thinking a fem pack from CH9, but some bubba chunk or something sounds a little better. I'm definitely on a budget and have to get a po box first (only like $40 for 6mo but I can barely afford $40 for seeds).

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
nope lost, no experience, and if you do some searching theres no real feedback(atleast there wasnt when i checked cannacopia out) here or on any other forums. atleast with CH9 theyre female and you can see reports on the end product. then again, it doesnt hurt to be a trend setter.

L

lostinethereal

Yeah, I couldn't find anything so it's time to start asking I guess, lol. I know that hemp depot is legit, but there really is nothing about cannacopia's seeds.

Lol, I was thinking of taking the plunge anyway, I figure, I'll have to have gotten the PO box, so that'd be taken care of. If I waste $40 on possibly nothing, then another $50 for a pack of CH9 is still cheaper than like $200 for _blank_ seeds , where blank is any over priced genetics. When did like 100mg of seeds become more expensive than an oz of dank? Can't we at least get a sample of the mother with those seeds, lol

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
the reason there isn't much info on cannacopia here is because it caused quite a stir-up and eventually led to the closing of such threads. there were allegations made that beancounter is the one behind it, but chimera knows those guys pretty well and suggests they are real legit.

a lot of gems are there, but i'd do some research first to be safe. they have copycats of lots of HTC gear. powerhouse is one that comes to mind, but i think the parents are switched. beancounter used to do work for HTC, so that's why there is speculation. take it with a grain of salt

jeffy peat pellets #7 will stunt your plants, or thats what the word is, there is something bad in them not sure what. but the marj. hand book even talks about it. might be a good idea to research this, before ya use them.

But any who, heres update of my closet grow Day 32 flower(sour deasel, bordellos). ill try to up date main grow soon...
Day32Flowrer.JPG

hers bordello at day 32 flower
Day32Flowrer6.JPG

here is sour deasels at day 32 flower..
Day32Flowrer1.JPG

L

lostinethereal

Hmm, I've never heard anything bad about those pellets, but I've never really looked I guess. Wouldn't have had a reason to until you mentioned it, and after checking their site it says they contain "a starter nutrient fertilizer in order to keep the seedlings growing for a few days until liquid nutrients can be added. They all contain a very tiny amount of wetting agent to allow the peat moss to take up water."

But honestly that could be something as benign as soap so I wouldn't worry about it too much, numerous people here use them. Also, I picked up some coir ones from earl mays, but I don't like the texture of them that much.

About cannacopia, I'm still a little confused. You say Chimera said they are legit, but are essentially knockoffs of HTCs stuff?

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
looking good midwest, keep em coming. my harvest shots are coming tonight. my experience with jiffy peat pellets were all the beans popped, just to ended up growing the wrong way with the taproot out of the top instead of the bottom. and a far as the HTC knockoff thing, i dont think youve been around long enugh to know who beancounter was, he worked with HTC, and some on the cannacopia crosses look similar to his work, hence the assumption. what up blakend, represent, what are you running right now?

Thanks abirdintheair..look forward to seeing your ladys...this thread getting big. cool beans the family grows.....

Heres the section out of the growers hand book. like i said, im not sure if its true or not. this is the second time i have heard it(cant remember were the 1st time). i just stay clear to be safe...

GERMINATION
Germinate seeds in sterile soil (for planting outdoors) or a hydroponic medium of rockwool or
vermiculite. DO NOT (!) use a Jiffy cube #7 to germinate seeds. Informal tests and
experience show these peat cubes do not work well and stunt the plants growth. Planting in
vermiculite gives the seedling so much oxygen, and are so easy for roots to grow in, that the
plants look large 1 week after germination!

Last edited:
L

lostinethereal

Hmm, well thanks for clearing that up abirdintheair, and thanks for the little tidbit on the jiffy pellets. Perhaps next time I germ a few I'll try say 2 jiffy, 2 coir, 2 in my soil mix and 2 in verm or something.

I've had the problem of the bean falling through cracks in the shit to the bottom, but never roots coming out of the top or anything weird like that, maybe a couple out of the side right above the bottom, but of the couple I planted a few days ago the jiffy pellets got a long nice looking taproot about 2 inches long out of the bottom I don't think the coir ones had anything but the 'netting' shit holding them together is like thicker cotton looking shit, the root probably can't penetrate as easily.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
midwestnug said:
Heres the section out of the growers hand book. like i said, im not sure if its true or not. this is the second time i have heard it(cant remember were the 1st time). i just stay clear to be safe...

GERMINATION
Germinate seeds in sterile soil (for planting outdoors) or a hydroponic medium of rockwool or
vermiculite. DO NOT (!) use a Jiffy cube #7 to germinate seeds. Informal tests and
experience show these peat cubes do not work well and stunt the plants growth.

Hmmm, that's strange. I have the Marijuana Horticulture book by Jorge Cervantes and Jiffy pellets are mentioned 4 times in the book, all as acceptable mediums for clones/seeds.

Maybe the theory that Jiffy pellets stunt growth comes from thinking that the netting restricts root growth? If so, check out this page of some big roots of plants started in Jiffy pellets:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=74405&page=5

For now, I don't notice a difference, but I'll be sure to let you guys know if that changes...
:rasta:

L

lostinethereal

Yeah, thats the book I have too, and I'd rather go by what that book says than one I've never read. The pellets work fine for me, I've read more than one post by different individuals on the ease of cloning with jiffy pellets, and if it is stunting them, it's a minimal amount, the coir ones certainly suck a lot more than the jiffy ones.

I guess whatever works, but you can't go wrong with the ease of use.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
just landed...

just landed...

love potion x white widow, blackberry bx2 x white widow, and blue sonja g3 :jump:

also just collected: B_H TW, TWxAS, and DPBS pollen

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts