What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Territory Australia May Legalise

Cone Head

There has been momentum in recent months to legalise in Australia with calls coming from various politicians and parties both federally and in State/Territory governments to legalise recreational. Australia legalised medical federally in 2016. Drug laws are legislated at the state government level in Australia and Federal government has limited jurisdiction over it so it really is up to the individual states.

The most solid possibility now seems to be coming from the Northern Territory with the current Cheif Minister indicating that its time to change the law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Minister-likening-gay-marriage.html#comments

This really actually looks like it could happen which will be sure to start the ball rolling for other states too. Northern Territory has a tropical climate with the capital city Darwin only 10 degrees south of the equator. That means they will be able to grow all those exotic equatorial sativa's outdoors year round! Get ready for some fully legal 15ft tall thai plantations :)

kickarse

Its all about the $$$$$$$

fuck all governments they are not ya friends
they are nothing but greedy stnuc, stealing everything they can

Maple_Flail

Congrats, Take a walk over to canadian forum to see the unrest there.

Watch out for the corporations wanting to cut the little guy out. be active in legislation.

your voice can change things if even just a small thing. Mine did. I helped rid the canadians of the ridiculous 100cm limitation. it didn't make out regulation look that much better but it help.

Best of luck on the road ahead

T

Teddybrae

Y'know ... I 'm sorry about those places where the Law is heavy on dope growing ... but here in Oz I think things are just fine. there's no shortage of dope anyway!

and it has to be a big bust before there's gaol time ... and then you can get out of it if you have enuf money!!!

corruption rules Oz! and will continue to do so whether Mj is legalised or not.

Cheers!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
As a grower, I'm be pissed because it's killing prices. The upside is that a 19 year old won't have his life ruined because of something as innocuous as a bag of weed.

Cone Head

Y'know ... I 'm sorry about those places where the Law is heavy on dope growing ... but here in Oz I think things are just fine. there's no shortage of dope anyway!

and it has to be a big bust before there's gaol time ... and then you can get out of it if you have enuf money!!!

corruption rules Oz! and will continue to do so whether Mj is legalised or not.

Cheers!
Your not wrong although it still has an impact. My mate got busted for a few plants in his backyard, didn't get anymore than a fine. Thing was the cops came round in force, tore his place apart going through all his shit. Traumatised his wife and young kid. He has suffered mental health problems from the incident and has never felt fully comfortable in his own home since. Thats why it needs to be legalised. You should be able to invite a cop around for a BBQ and show off your plants :p

ozzieAI

Veteran
this could be a double edged sword and make things worse for those of us who like to grow their own...i am always careful with the gov gets too involved and sees $$$$...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
this could be a double edged sword and make things worse for those of us who like to grow their own...i am always careful with the gov gets too involved and sees $$$$...

Call your MP while there's talk about it. Seriously. Do it. Do it. Do it.
Ask him if you'll be able to grow your own organic cannabis in your yard or home.

This is a must.

Cone Head

Ask him if you'll be able to grow your own organic cannabis in your yard or home.

This is a must.

Good advice

There is no mention of home growing one way or another in that article about the Northern Territory. It seems they were looking at other overseas models for ideas so it could go either way, or not happen at all, will have to wait and see. The Australian Greens have a legalise, tax and regulate policy up that includes home cultivation up to 6 plants. Another party, "liberal democrats" have policy that includes home growing and no tax. These parties are considered "fringe parties" though so the best they can do is makes these issues popular enough the the "major parties" take it on.

It will happen in australia, but it may take a while.

Maple_Flail

This is a must.

This, So much this..

people don't believe me when i tell them, yet when i show them the letter.. and then the committee footage of an MP basically quoting my email verbatim in the hearing. their jaws drop. yes, single letter well written albeit but still a single letter from a voter outside that Mp's constituency

even email or send a letter to the MP you feel you align most with.. potential votes hold much sway in politics. especially if they are gunning to oust a long termer.

T

Teddybrae

Your not wrong although it still has an impact. My mate got busted for a few plants in his backyard, didn't get anymore than a fine. Thing was the cops came round in force, tore his place apart going through all his shit. Traumatised his wife and young kid. He has suffered mental health problems from the incident and has never felt fully comfortable in his own home since. Thats why it needs to be legalised. You should be able to invite a cop around for a BBQ and show off your plants :p

Yes ... this seems to be in Police culture.

Tony Bower Australia's Indigenous Medicine Man (Clever Man) had helicopters overhead and the Police busted in when they could have knocked on the door and been reasonable.

Goes to support the idea that powerless people join the Police so they can get some legitimate POWER!!! then go around giving other powerless people Post Traumatic Shock Disorder.

But it has always been this way, I think ... and will remain ...

cheers!

kickarse

We are one of the most over governed country's in the world
no fucking way will the little bloke get a go. we will all become TAX dodgers lol lol
it will all be grown OS for f$ck all, and sold here for BIG profits
check out what the ASX pot companies are up to

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
I just read that california sales are half of what predictions were. They didn't say why, they guessed black market. I'm guessing home growing and some from that going to the underground market.

Wouldn't trust any 'legalization' that doesn't allow home growing or severly limits in odd ways.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Of course at first people will want to grow their own. My friends are saying the same. But I know once they find out how much of a hassle it can be, they'll abandon them like they do their tomatoes and come back and ask me for some.

Cone Head

Of course at first people will want to grow their own. My friends are saying the same. But I know once they find out how much of a hassle it can be, they'll abandon them like they do their tomatoes and come back and ask me for some.

Very true. People keep saying "government won't allow home growing because it will eat into their tax revenue" I think that in the long run, most people won't bother growing their own if its legal for much the same reasons they cant be bothered now. Easier to buy it and let someone else grow it. Especially all those people that don't smoke lots or only smoke it occasionally.

All of the proposals I have heard in Australia so far allow a small number of plants for personal consumption and thats fine in my opinion, a lot better than it being illegal anyway. Most people will buy their weed in the long run regardless, the government will clean up $$. I'll grow a few plants and be happy, maybe buy some for variety.