What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DWC BUDS BEHIND SOIL BUDS?????

jedi5891

Hey folks, ive got some GSC in DWC and some in soil all flipped at the same time, but the GSC in the DWC haven't started blooming as much as the soil plants. I would've thought it been the other way with the hydro plants more advanced. Can anyone shed any light on this.
Peace
Namate

jedi5891

Soil is superior always

Thats helpful.
Soil isn't superior in speed of growth and yield, so your talking rubbish and very niave. Ive heard experts say that if you give plants exactly what they need when they need in hydro you can have a better quality product than soil. If you think about this logically with an open mind it makes sense. Hydro is putting plants into over drive therefore increased resin and terp production. I agree most soil grown is better quality as alot of hydro growers are not giving correct ratios of macro, micro, trace and amendments properly.
Commercially hydroponic grown crops are testing with higher brix contents meaning more sugars and aromas. We are still a bit behind them and still have some catching up as do you lol
Peace
Namaste

YetiOG

Hey folks, ive got some GSC in DWC and some in soil all flipped at the same time, but the GSC in the DWC haven't started blooming as much as the soil plants. I would've thought it been the other way with the hydro plants more advanced. Can anyone shed any light on this.
Peace
Namate

Im guessing you have a bit more time in soil than in hydro. With a bit of practice your hydro plants will be laughing at the dirt plants in the room. Even a late start they will probably outdo the dirt

Check your PH first thing.

DWC is tricky hydro. I still prefer my hand watered hydro mix. I have to go to bed but I'll post a bit more about it tomorrow

jedi5891

Im guessing you have a bit more time in soil than in hydro. With a bit of practice your hydro plants will be laughing at the dirt plants in the room. Even a late start they will probably outdo the dirt

Check your PH first thing.

DWC is tricky hydro. I still prefer my hand watered hydro mix. I have to go to bed but I'll post a bit more about it tomorrow

Nice one YetiOG, at least your input added value to the thread unlike the first petulant comment.
Im not devoting more time to my soil I just never went full hydro as its my first run an never wanted to put eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Ive 12 plants in DWC buckets and all the plants except a couple are growing more vigourous then the soil plants. The GSC in the buckets were cuttings taken from the plants in soil and they've surpassed them. The leaves are bigger, stem thicker with a nicer colour too. Ive been doing alot of horticultra learning, especially about nutrients and there roles and the plants need them at the correct times and ratios etc.
Im using Vita link max 2 part bloom and I think the nitrogen levels are a bit high for a bloom feed. Ive found out that too high levels of nitrates can cause the plants to delay flowering and even stop it. So im pretty sure I need to go easier on the EC levels. I take alot of time to look at the plant to decide their needs etc and theyre looking really healthy and vibrate that a nutrient toxicity wasn't easily recognized, as there was no tip burn or other signs of lock out.
I've found DWC pretty easy and im amazed at the speed and vigour of the growth. The best out the bunch in my DWC are my ( was told G13 labs bubble gum, but they only do Blueberry gum. So thinking that) 3 blueberry gum plants. These have more or less filled the 20 liter bucket with their enormous root mass. Some of the roots are like rope and have smashed through the net pots lol. They're drinking around 10 litres in 2 or 3 days and are the size of beach balls. They've grown really really wide an take up the same space as 10 soil grown plants.
Ive become a fairly decent gardener over the years but now im looking to really step up my game, I already piss over whats going about.
I think after providing the best environment, genetics and lighting possible, their nutrients requirements are the next most important factor. My recent studying made me realize that the plants have more feeding schedules than rooting, vegging, bloom and flush etc and 90% of the companies don't provide the nutrients in the correct ratios for the specific needs at certain key times. What's need is for the grower to spoon feed the plants what they need as and when they need it as alot of the nutrients arent even up taken due to poor solubility. What you also need to do is add amendments to help chelate the nutrients so the plant can easily uptake them.
I'll upload some pics to my DWC album, I can't seem to put pics into my thread, only the link to the pic. Im uploading from my phone an since they changed this websites interface not so long ago ive not been able to put pics up.
Anyhow let me know what you think and I'll let you know how things move along.
Peace
Namaste

YetiOG

Nice one YetiOG, at least your input added value to the thread unlike the first petulant comment.
Im not devoting more time to my soil I just never went full hydro as its my first run an never wanted to put eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Ive 12 plants in DWC buckets and all the plants except a couple are growing more vigourous then the soil plants. The GSC in the buckets were cuttings taken from the plants in soil and they've surpassed them. The leaves are bigger, stem thicker with a nicer colour too. Ive been doing alot of horticultra learning, especially about nutrients and there roles and the plants need them at the correct times and ratios etc.
Im using Vita link max 2 part bloom and I think the nitrogen levels are a bit high for a bloom feed. Ive found out that too high levels of nitrates can cause the plants to delay flowering and even stop it. So im pretty sure I need to go easier on the EC levels. I take alot of time to look at the plant to decide their needs etc and theyre looking really healthy and vibrate that a nutrient toxicity wasn't easily recognized, as there was no tip burn or other signs of lock out.
I've found DWC pretty easy and im amazed at the speed and vigour of the growth. The best out the bunch in my DWC are my ( was told G13 labs bubble gum, but they only do Blueberry gum. So thinking that) 3 blueberry gum plants. These have more or less filled the 20 liter bucket with their enormous root mass. Some of the roots are like rope and have smashed through the net pots lol. They're drinking around 10 litres in 2 or 3 days and are the size of beach balls. They've grown really really wide an take up the same space as 10 soil grown plants.
Ive become a fairly decent gardener over the years but now im looking to really step up my game, I already piss over whats going about.
I think after providing the best environment, genetics and lighting possible, their nutrients requirements are the next most important factor. My recent studying made me realize that the plants have more feeding schedules than rooting, vegging, bloom and flush etc and 90% of the companies don't provide the nutrients in the correct ratios for the specific needs at certain key times. What's need is for the grower to spoon feed the plants what they need as and when they need it as alot of the nutrients arent even up taken due to poor solubility. What you also need to do is add amendments to help chelate the nutrients so the plant can easily uptake them.
I'll upload some pics to my DWC album, I can't seem to put pics into my thread, only the link to the pic. Im uploading from my phone an since they changed this websites interface not so long ago ive not been able to put pics up.
Anyhow let me know what you think and I'll let you know how things move along.
Peace
Namaste

Sorry been busy lately. Anýyay ill read and post tomorrow.

Anyway though ditch dirt it sux. Hydro for the win

steasy88

Yeah vita-link is high on nitrogen makes your buds really leafy encourages leaf growth good for tomatoes as they need that extra bit of nitrogen in bloom try house and gardens range there a bit expensive but worth it for hyrdo all the best on ur grow

jedi5891

Hydro sucks for small grows. Blows right thru the tent.

Anything is possible, its all down to the skill set of the garderner.
Im not in a tent and neither am I doing a small grow. I just didn't go full hydro as first time doing it, I wish id gone full hydro now as they'll give alot more meds.
The GSC in the DWC are noticeably budding more now, so im not worried now. They still look a little behind the 1s in soil, but ive backed off with the nutes a bit hopefully getting them dialed in a bit better.
I'll post a couple of links to some pics of the DWC plants.
Peace
Namaste

mushroombrew

Veteran
I'm doing a run in flood and drain with GSC.
ph 5.8
TDS <1000
Heavy on the cal mag.
When you get the hydro dialed you'll be stoked! Soil is the slowest growing thing in my garden.
3wks in flower

jedi5891

I'm doing a run in flood and drain with GSC.
ph 5.8
TDS <1000
Heavy on the cal mag.
When you get the hydro dialed you'll be stoked! Soil is the slowest growing thing in my garden.
3wks in flower
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73599&pictureid=1758252]View Image[/url][/QUOasu
Im already stocked mate with what ive seen from this method. That was really my only issue with the GSC in hydro seemed a bit behind, but is on track now for bloom length. Part of this I think is that the plants in soil were very established and already maybe 3 months old before I flipped them. The GSC in the hydro were cuts from the soil plants and 2 months younger. Im convinced plants more established with older hormones go into bloom quicker than ones with less.
Ive got multi strains in the DWC, GSC, Nevels haze, choc mint og, blueberry gum and 2 of my own hybrids of GSC x Gogi og x Gogi og. There all doing well with some better, especially the BB gum. These plants have more or less filled the 20 litre bucket with their root mass and have the thickest stems ive grown. The branches are as thick as some soil grown stems. There very very wide, partly from being topped and genetics. They are bigger than beach balls and take the same space up as 10 plants in soil next to them. Im topping up their tanks with around 10 litres of feed every 2 days and they'll out perform the rest for sure in quantity.
Here's in 4th week of veg of a BB gum, not got any recent 1s an will need to take a pic in the dark.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=73681&pictureid=1756395

Your plants look nice an healthy, well done. What GSC are you growing. I do like the GSC ive got, its from Cali connection. I bought the seeds a couple of years back and found a very decent pheno. Have a look at my albums. Shes also amazing in crossing and has give me some top shelf tackle. Got pics in my albums of her in cross's. Gonna be interesting to see how she is in hydro.
Peace
Namaste

mushroombrew

Veteran
Over the years I have noticed some strains doing better in hydro than others. I guess it depends on what system the breeder was growing in. So your BB may "belong" in hydro.

You flowered in DWC yet? Watch your height the stretch can get ridiculous. I have had 8" plants finish at 4ft+!!

You're right about established plants and hormone levels. But only when it comes to seed stock. Clone stock is already "old" so hormones/flower response are the same.

I got my Cut in Sac it's the real deal. I know everybody says that but this is the fam cut.
I like it but I have a few Fire OG's that are out performing it almost 2:1 so I will probably
keep Fire OG over the GSC. And I got sherbert but she is so finicky about everything and lower yielding. Gelato is the frostiest but again low yielding.
So that tray has GSC, Sunset Sherbert, Fire OG and Gelato.
At just over 4wks today I'll get some pics up on my diary later tonight.

OldPhart

Welcome to the dark side Jedi5891. I won't talk smack on the dirt farmers, because if it is done RIGHT, it is pretty damn hard to beat. But for the person that doesn't want to go off the deep end dialing in their soil, hydro is impossible to beat. I got a couple cuts that were in soil, I've been growing on these damn things for almost two months to get them to the point that I could get 10 cuttings off of each one. I am giving the original plants to a friend to see if he can get them to grow outside. But I am really freaking happy to be getting rid of the dirt, just so slow, at least for me. If I ever do a serious dirt grow, I want to do it outdoors in a raised bed of horse and rabbit manure.

jedi5891

Welcome to the dark side Jedi5891. I won't talk smack on the dirt farmers, because if it is done RIGHT, it is pretty damn hard to beat. But for the person that doesn't want to go off the deep end dialing in their soil, hydro is impossible to beat. I got a couple cuts that were in soil, I've been growing on these damn things for almost two months to get them to the point that I could get 10 cuttings off of each one. I am giving the original plants to a friend to see if he can get them to grow outside. But I am really freaking happy to be getting rid of the dirt, just so slow, at least for me. If I ever do a serious dirt grow, I want to do it outdoors in a raised bed of horse and rabbit manure.

Hey oldphart, nice one for dropping in.
Yeah your right about soil imo, hyrdo done right can for sure out perform soil in all aspects. I used to think soil all the way for terps and trichs etc, but with hydro your putting plants into overdrive and tests have shown hydroponically grown crops have higher brix levels giving more sugars, aromas and flavour. Its all about the nutrients given to the plants and in what ratios so the plant has exactly what it needs without being over fed.

Peace
Namaste

jedi5891

Wow checked your album. Your GSC looks great! The cut I have is way more lanky and kushy. I'll get some pics up.

Thanks mate. She is a superb specimen and is a top smoke. I know its not the original and many people will slag off swerves GSC saying its a knock off. All I do know is that this pheno was a keeper.
Peace
Namaste

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yeah there's more to life than Elites. Good mothers can come from anywhere.
I am a hydro guy. If you get trace elements, rez temps on point. And truly gain an understanding of pH; soil just cannot compete.
If you lack chemistry knowledge or cannot afford a chiller for example you will get much better growth, terpenes and yield.
So soil wins 90% of the time because hydro can get away from you.

Of course there is hydro weed that wasn't flushed good that give us hydro guys a bad name. My plants grow in water only for 2-3wks at finish.
The local rec shop here is 100% organic. Well not certified the Feds don't recognize it. They have a mix or indoor and greenhouse. There entire business model is all about organics.

Unfortunately their product is far from top shelf.

I love soil! OUTSIDE! I got veggies all over. And I grew outdoor on the Big Island for 8yrs in dirt sucessfully. I got some tree pics in my albums!

So go ahead and grow organic. I grow the strongest weed on the planet! in hydro.

jedi5891

Yeah there's more to life than Elites. Good mothers can come from anywhere.
I am a hydro guy. If you get trace elements, rez temps on point. And truly gain an understanding of pH; soil just cannot compete.
If you lack chemistry knowledge or cannot afford a chiller for example you will get much better growth, terpenes and yield.
So soil wins 90% of the time because hydro can get away from you.

Of course there is hydro weed that wasn't flushed good that give us hydro guys a bad name. My plants grow in water only for 2-3wks at finish.
The local rec shop here is 100% organic. Well not certified the Feds don't recognize it. They have a mix or indoor and greenhouse. There entire business model is all about organics.

Unfortunately their product is far from top shelf.

I love soil! OUTSIDE! I got veggies all over. And I grew outdoor on the Big Island for 8yrs in dirt sucessfully. I got some tree pics in my albums!

So go ahead and grow organic. I grow the strongest weed on the planet! in hydro.

Ive just been studying and learning about the nutrient side and have gained alot of knowledge about what nutes do, what ratios, when best to use, how to chelate with stimulates etc. I 100% agree with you about soil is 70% better as its more forgiving and doest need such precise growing.
Using bio stimulates is the key to help chelate and make the nutrients more available and opening up the vascular system so the plants have super high ways to transport the sugars etc. Most nutrient feeds don't have proper feed schedules as there's more stages than veg, bloom an flush. Plants to really thrive need a more tailored regime. Alot of the time nutrients are given to plants and its not even being used as the plants store up some elememts. Phosphorus is a good example, its needed early stages as it helps to encourage lateral growth with the roots and is also the energy for the plant which it stores as phosphate bonds using them as an when needed. Other than very early bloom to encourage bud sites adding any more P in the form of boosters is a waste as the base will have plenty and with what the plant has stored. Potassium is only thing to amend peak bloom as it helps build the flowers.
Thats a bold statement that your is strongest on planet. I can't say either way as never seen or tried yours. What I do know is that my soil stuff has whipped the floor with everything around for awhile now, and when ive dialed this in mine will be the strongest on the planet, lol
Peace
Namaste

mushroombrew

Veteran
Well I don't think I necessarily have the strongest weed. But I do believe the feeding schedule I have been running is growing some of the healthiest fastest growing plants I have had the pleasure to grow. And Healthy plants are potent plants!
That's what it's all about. Healthy stress free plants. Soil, hydro whatever just keep them healthy!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Alot of the time nutrients are given to plants and its not even being used as the plants store up some elememts.

I am working on investment for a 10,000 sqft indoor canopy. We will have a Lab in house. One of our plans is to dehydrate a sample of the nutrient solution weekly. Then use gas chromatography to see exactly what nutrients are used.
Then we will have a strain by strain week by week feeding program that is precise. My current grow is the R&D for the big show.
Always learning everyday striving to improve. And I really enjoy it!