Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Help, I've got white bugs under my pots?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thread Title Search
Help, I've got white bugs under my pots?!?!?!?!?!?! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM #21
abuldur

abuldur will become famous soon enough
Bad news,

After searching a little it turns out that Onychiuridae are a type of springtails that do feed on roots.
They are white blind and about 1 mm long and they do jump and make wounds on your roots.
When i cut my mother plant to throw it away these little facks had colonized the main stem by digging the wounded roots.
Seems neem oil does not kill them all same thing with BT (no larva small ones look like adults).

peace
abuldur is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM #22
abuldur

I tried to find something effective against them but it seems they resist to most pesticides.They can digest DDT.

Best thing to do seems to dry out media or turn temperature under 12°.

peace
abuldur is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM #23
abuldur

https://www.stevehopkin.co.uk/collembolagallery/

That's what they look like.
abuldur is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM #24
Scrogerman

Scrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really nice
Wow man, Blind Springers, thats a new one on me & look at all the different sub-species, av you worked out which one youve got/ID'd yet? I saw a guy on youtube treating his house for them, they can get into the house(normal springtails), he was using products id never heard of, but he said it worked with continued applications, was a mix of chemicals iirc, just cant remember which ones, it seemed like a load of botha to me, i didnt want sprintails in my house so i dashed my plants outside & picked up an October crop. Bugger mate unlucky! fker they eat roots! normal springers dont(just decaying matter & can be beneficial in that respect)!
G'Luck!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM #25
Leroy Brown

Leroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the rough
Yeah apparently there is like 100,000 different species of springtails, I'm still hoping I had a severe nutrient problem or somehow shocked my roots either with cold water, feeding them when dry, or the one time I was in a rush & blasted the top of the soil to hard & washed away/killed a bunch of the fine air roots @ the top.

It's so hard to tell if my plants are getting better or worse, I really can't tell & it's driving me absolutely fucking nuts.

Quote:
f**k a G-ride, I want the machines that are makin em
Leroy Brown is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM #26
Leroy Brown

Leroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the roughLeroy Brown is a jewel in the rough
In your case, could they have just been eating already dead roots? Because they will do that. Not doubting, just wondering, we might have yet a new plague about to rip through growrooms, who knows, we'll know soon enough though. Are you on the east coast?

I've been researching this shit a lot as well, springtails are a fucking bitch to kill, really there is no pesticides listing springtails. Predatory Mites & dry soil are about the only option.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM #27
plumbum

plumbum has a spectacular aura aboutplumbum has a spectacular aura aboutplumbum has a spectacular aura about
Leroy, springtails are very hard to kill, i've heard somebody using Bayer Complete Insect Killer.. complete drench, several applications.. but this stuff is systemic.. and stays in the plant for long time.. better done in early veg.. another way, but it will only work if you haven't used any pesticides is hypoaspys miles, they work better as prevention though.. anyhow try to get rid of them ASAP.. they will definitely diminish your harvest.. i've seen it happen several times!
plumbum is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM #28
Leroy Brown

Damn, this is not what I want to be hearing. Anyone have a gun I can borrow? I only need to use it once

Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 AM #29
abuldur

Hi Leroy,scroger ...

I am not in the US and according to the maps i found those little bastards come from northern Europe.

I strongly suspect that i introduced them in my grow room via Root Riots not sure if they were already contaminated or if this occurred in the grow shop were i bought them.

Unfortunately i have confirmation that they feed on live plant material (roots).I checked the roots digging in my medium and here they were trying to duck for cover, i could see wounds on the roots.

I would never have noticed them if it wasn't for the slow growth and side curving top growth.My last harvest was one third of what i am usually accustomed to.

peace
abuldur is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM #30
Scrogerman

Scrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Brown View Post
In your case, could they have just been eating already dead roots? Because they will do that. Not doubting, just wondering, we might have yet a new plague about to rip through growrooms, who knows, we'll know soon enough though. Are you on the east coast?

I've been researching this shit a lot as well, springtails are a fucking bitch to kill, really there is no pesticides listing springtails. Predatory Mites & dry soil are about the only option.
exactly mate yeah! At first i thought i had thrips(last year this was), asked for help id'ing the little beggers, done the research etc & yeah it was the Snowfleas, sure i got bitten but apparently they dont bite, had me itching anyway, proper infested pots, jumping everywhere they were, thats what gave them away.
I cant bear infestations, why i chucked em out n cleand up!

Have a look on youtube man! there was a guy on there killing/treating his house to rid it of them, he seemed to think it definately killed them iirc. the little fuckers are attracted to moisture. & we have to water out plants, so its a losing battle without chemical treatment! What i dont like about them is, they get into your house, Walls, floors, carpets etc ohh noooo, why i chucked em so fast!

This is the Chap treating them! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNWdUfa4PYo
(Bifen IT, Cyanara/Cyanora? & Delta Metharin, are the chems/insecticides hes using)

See what i mean about the hassle! Hopefully this info may help you guys, hey Abuldur bro!!

G'Luck with it Guys!

Last edited by Scrogerman; 03-15-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Scrogerman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.