What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MJ may stave off Alzheimer's disease

geezeressa

Thanks for the post. My mom had Alzheimer's, and one of the only things that she could remember was that I got busted for pot possession...36 years ago!

Glad that I'm doing my part to keep my brain clump-free.

SalParadise

I just saw this on CNN's page as well - I was making my way over here to post the good news, but I see you beat me to it! Gotta love good news!

mars2112

always hopeful yet discontent
Veteran
geezeressa said:
Thanks for the post. My mom had Alzheimer's, and one of the only things that she could remember was that I got busted for pot possession...36 years ago!

wow that is ironic lol

cannabis prevents altzheimers and shrinks tumors. it regenerates brain cells and lets cancer patients eat. and the feds say it has no medicinal value.

It is also ironic that most people are brainwashed to believe that marijuana will cause the normal person to become dumb in everyday life, when in fact, the opposite holds true.

I cannot see any benefit that tobacco has.

Damn I hate prohibition, but I do believe that this generation has the power to change legislation in the future.

guineapig

Veteran
Washington, DC -- Good news for aging hippies: smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.

NORML: Alzheimer's Disease: http://norml.org//index.cfm?Group_ID=7003

Source: Reuters (Wire)
Author: Andy Sullivan
Published: October 5, 2006
Copyright: 2006 Reuters

Related Articles:

Marijuana's Key Ingredient May Fight Alzheimers
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread22241.shtml

Marijuana Ingredient May Help Alzheimers
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread20276.shtml

Rather old thread but curious since someone bumped up this thread from a while ago what if any updated news has there been on this? Does anyone have a more up to date resource for Cannabis and Alzheimers?

sdd420

Veteran
Rather old thread but curious since someone bumped up this thread from a while ago what if any updated news has there been on this? Does anyone have a more up to date resource for Cannabis and Alzheimers?

Since Gene Wilder died of Alzheimer's I was also wondering. Have any old stoners actually gotten this? Thinking no because it is psychoactive and must stimulate the brains endo system or whatever . Any news/thoughts? Occasional users not applicable just daily smokers etc.
Peace sdd

Latest posts

Latest posts