What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hermie Female Plants : Dangerous to Smoke of Vape ?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hello fellow tokers and growers, I have a question to pose about the possible health hazards one might face vaping or smoking buds harvested from female cannabis plants that were showing tiny numbers of hermaphrodite "bananas" with a few opened male flowers at the time of harvest.

Over the past few years in my small-scale personal consumption grow site deep in the swamp here, I stumbled on a way to produce feminized seeds pretty much by accident, and that method turned out to be simply using the seeds from primarily female flowers, blooming on plants that also showed a few, but not many, scattered male pollen sacs.

In the past, smoking cured buds from such hermie plants never produced any adverse reaction, BUT, when I recently tried to move from smoking to vaping, I suffered a very unpleasant reaction that left me gasping for breath, with the absolute worst case of a sore throat and swollen tonsils that I have EVER experienced in my life.

Before venturing into the vaping world, I conducted extensive research online, reading up on the pros and cons of various vaporizers that are currently available on the market, before finally settling on buying the Airizer Air portable vaporizer.

Proceeding under the completely WRONG assumption that vaping is by definition safer than smoking weed, I recklessly went ahead and took massive hits from my new Airizer Air vaporizer, for a couple of days in a row, before I started to discover I had made a grave error that could have turned out fatal.

In short, the high temperature and dryness of the vapor produced by my new Airizer vaporizer wreaked havoc on my respiratory tract, causing me serious pain and discomfort when I tried to swallow, while also clogging up my sinuses like I have NEVER experienced in my entire life.

I stopped vaping right away, but the infection spread to my lungs, and after I woke up in the dead of night gasping for breath, I rushed to a hospital where I was prescribed antibiotics and anti-histamines which brought me back to where I could breathe again without the effort and discomfort that all began when I tried my hand at vaping.

Not entirely convinced that my breathing problem was caused by the vaping alone, I began reading up in the Fuck Combustion website's medical sub-forum, where I spotted an account by a vaporizer user who described the health hazards of vaping buds which contain pollen sacs, and that got me wondering whether my consumption of female flowers that bore a few scattered pollen sacs was in fact the reason for my health scare, and not necessarily the fact that I was vaping for the first time ever.

I must add that I have smoked my slightly hermied buds for the past couple of years with NO health issues resultant at any stage, yet when I went and tried to vape those same buds, I got sick as a dog, and stayed that way for two solid weeks until the symptoms mercifully abated.

My primary reason for trying vaping was the much less noticeable smell of vaping, in comparison to smoking, with the health benefits of vaping only a secondary consideration, but now, after that scare I had, I am seriously thinking that perhaps vaping is not beneficial to the health of ALL who try the method, and that maybe I ought to stay with toking in the old school way, which has served me well for many years.

So, I guess my question here is whether any other IC mag members have experienced adverse health consequences from slightly hermie, pollen-bearing buds that were either smoked or vaped. On the subject of vaporizers in general I am really curious to hear from anyone who may have experienced adverse reaction to vaporizing buds, such that they were forced to revert to old-school smoking, due to throat irritation caused by the dryness, heat, or perhaps even the composition of vapor.

If it turns out that the trace amounts of pollen in my bud is the cause of my health scare, then I may try again to vape weed with my Airizer, but with the added precaution of using a bubbler filled to substantial water depth to better "scrub" and cool the vapor before inhalation. For such an experiment I also intend to stuff a moistened cotton ball into the glass vaporizer mouthpiece, to trap any microscopic particulates that manage to make it through the water bubbler.

Any feedback at all on this subject would be much appreciated. I really like the look and feel of my new Airizer Vaporizer, BUT, if it turns out that I am one of the unlucky few that are incapable of safely using any vaporizer for weed consumption, then for sure I won't push my luck and venture away from smoking and into vaping at any time in the future.

As a final question, if pollen is indeed the likely culprit in my home grown buds, can I eliminate the associated health risks simply by making canna coconut oil from my harvest, and using that for cookies and such, where I would be able to stop smoking OR vaping outright, yet still find a safe way to ingest the fruits of my gardening labor.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered to shed light on this medical mystery.

Last edited:

SoufLondon

I wish i could help you. Sounds like a plausible theory though. Hopefully some clever people will be able to offer advice. I wouldn't have thought eating your cannabis would be a good idea untill you can figure out whether the pollen is evoking an immune response in you, but i stress im no expert and that is just a laymans observation.

Best of luck

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Much thanks for the quick reply, SoufLondon. The more I think about it, the more edibles as a means of ingestion gains appeal over both smoking or vaping, though I must confess that I really would have preferred to vape my weed, if I can rig up a safe means to do so. To scared to even try for now ha ha.

Runt

Make a nice ethanol extraction and use tincture! That is my main "diet" nowadays and I enjoy being medicated for hours with no need to smoke (pain patient).

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hello Runt, I don't trust myself to handle flammable liquids without making one mistake or another, but I am a big fan of coconut oil extraction, with an initial decarb step for the herb done in the oven at 220 degrees for 15 minutes or so, to activate the THCA into THC, followed by a slow crock-pot simmer for several hours in good quality coconut oil and water, and then finally the removal of all the spent bud by cloth sieve, before allowing the settling out of the water layer that is discarded to leave "activated" coconut oil that I store frozen long-term as cubes in ice trays, ready for making edibles.

Even with the success of this extraction process, I have always found my edibles, despite being all made with Sativa buds, seem to produce a bit too much of a sedative effect, while offering less of the pronounced head high one gets from smoking or vaping. But for that little quibble with edibles, I would probably have quit smoking AND vaping for good by now, all things considered.

JointOperation

ive smoked males and hermies.. with pollen sacks everywere.. with no adverse reactions..

I get that way tho with tree pollen when I go outside around this time of year..

maybe a pollen allergy?

igrowone

Veteran
well, i've vaped a fair number of hermied bud, been experimenting with genetics
never had an adverse effect
but that doesn't mean you couldn't, i do pull off the male stuff as it grows
from what i've read, the processing of vaporization will sterilize any particles small enough to become airborne such as mold spores
so in principal you shouldn't have exposed your lungs to any new active pathogens

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Joint Operation and Igrowone, your assurances have saved me from taking the drastic step of converting my few ounces of fragrant curing stash into boring cana coconut oil. There is an ornamental tree in bloom right now in my garden, which has given other people allergic reactions in the past, so that could be the cause of my own reaction this year.

With my vaping, I will always ensure that I use a water bubbler to condition the vapor, and also I will include a moistened cotton plug in the inhalation tube to filter out any tiny solid particles, just to be on the safe side.

Much thanks again fellas, and if there is anyone else out there who has experienced negative reactions of any sort after a vape session, I am curious to hear what that was like, and what steps were taken to avoid a repeat of that situation.

In my case, I suspect that the culprit could be the huge monster hits I took from my new Vaporizer over several days, as I tried to copy the vape-miesters I see on youtube exhaling huge clouds, with no apparent ill effects.

Last edited:

SpaceBros.

More than likely it was just toxic off-gassing from your cheap arizer vape. The arizer solo the precursor model to the air was well know to have an strange a weird electronic smell. Best to get an all glass vape - a herborizer or a Vhw with a water tool.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
That is an unsettling thought, SpaceBros, that I might have breathed in vaporized toxic chemicals by using the Airizer Air without having done a much more thorough burn-off than I did, before I first used the device.

In the Airizer forum, off-gassing from new, unused Airizers is mentioned in passing, but the consensus with most of the users there seems to be that the off-gas smell vanishes after a good initial burn-off with no herb in the bowl, after which there should be no harmful gases given off. That is the theory, but I can attest that mileage does vary, from one vape user to another

I must mention that the vast majority of Airizer Air users did NOT experience the throat irritation that I got right away, so there may have been other factors at play, such as my taking huge hits, rather than cautious sips, at least to start with, and my not bothering with a bubbler.

All the same the, the whole experience put me off the concept of vaping for a while as I heal from that failed experiment, during which time I will smoke very occasional hooters in the time-honored way that has never let me down over the years.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
get a Silver Surfer or Volcano.. what is happnin is your brain isn't happy with the amount of intake 'feeling' of 'smoke' so you are hitting longer/more often and yes, the heat is drying out your throat. with SSV, each it exhales, while not quite bong typely but close. two/3 of those and yes the 4th hit will dry out your throat.. but 2 or 3 'at a time'.. usually get you there. not 20 from the other crap.

EDIT: the SSV is shipped as a aroma therapy device and has an optional 'dish' that one can put scented wax or oil in. it can be left burning (mine runs 24/7) with the aroma therapy dish in place right in the kitchen or at your desk.

I do not work for SSV or have anything to do with them, just a very happy customer for years...

Latest posts

Latest posts