What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ear Wax!? A question

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I read about ' ear wax' after we were attempting (1st time ever) to press out a plug of hash found this blob af black tar above the presses top plug, stuck to the inner/upper walls of the press, a week later. Another individual that smoked some called it that.. I read about EW and it doesnt sound like that is what we did.

Here is how it went: Taking 5 grams powdered (160 micron) matter, put it in a hash press add 1 tsp of Sky vodka: twist/press, heat with heat gun, rest, 15-20 minutes. (The heat timing isnt very scientific at this time) repeated this 6-7 times, each time the press turned 1/4 turn or so, tighter.

Took a piece of that blob of tar, rolled it up ina ball and threw it into the vaporizors wand, on top of some bud ..... vape... AWSOME! The bud, SSSDH, is too much for many, the tar ball (ear wax? I'm told) was opiumesque. :woohoo:I want more.
The question is> What did we do? Is this a mystery only to me? I leade a sheltered life here in Floorda, can talk out loud about it, the LEO have ears everywhere (parinoia) and laws arent kind. Can I improve on this process?
The return was about 1gr tar from 5 grams 'hash'. It left a 4 gram plug that was very well recieved.

Why did you add vodka? I think it may have to do with the vodka vapours extracting compounds from the kief.

Might try this later.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Why did you add vodka? I think it may have to do with the vodka vapours extracting compounds from the kief.

Might try this later.

The vodka was something I read that would help bind the kief into gooier <<ha hash, it actuall called for 151/everclear. What I'm thinking happens is vodka extracts tricombs this mix is liquid and can not compress, it squeezes its way back up, away from the heat. I can not duplicate it as well as the first time it happend by happenstance I was medicated.:tiphat:

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Most of these processes involve adding a solvent such as Butane(Bho) or high proof alcohol (qwiso), and then getting rid of the solvent.

The solvent is used to transport THC and other resin from the plant matter. Im not sure why you would add the alcohol if it can't leave the hash in a gaseous state. May-perhaps it does, through small gaps in your press?? IDK know but it sounds like you just mixed in vodka and made some amalgamation with lots of resin in it and it was bomb good.

I just wonder how vodka is adding to your process, since ideally it is gone before smoking.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
well done, you vaporised hash and vodka

Not reall but yes. like skulsnrosessaid, 'the vodka is gone b4 it's vaped', 'if' one waits long enough for it to evaporate (days) and solidify. Until then, it is kinda like handling honey, it sticks to everyting. Getting it into the wand can be a pita. I tried pressing 3-4 grams of weed, not kief, did get some EW but not as much as the kief, the leftover plug looks kinda like cannabis salami, havent vaped it yet. I'll try everclear next time. OH. Cleaning the press after the process is another pita.

Latest posts

Latest posts