What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

USB Microscopes?

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Been looking around for something to more reliably judge bud maturity.

This one has some good reviews,and @ less than $30,might be worth a try,but thought maybe some input from the community might be called for.Being able to use the computer to view maturity,as well as being able to save pictures could prove very useful.I wouldn't likely use my phone for this,but it is an available option for those who might.

Any input from people with experience with USB microscopes would much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Dig...ds=trichome+microscope&qid=1599545069&sr=8-19

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I've bought 2 so far and none are compatible with Linux even though one was advertised as being Linux compatible.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I own one and it was OK, which doesn't mean diddly (2/5). Software is clunky (probably more suited for phones) (1/5). Mine is USB operated but it is the same scope. I have reverted to the good old fashioned 60X jeweler's scope, after I was recommended to take my glasses off while using.

Typical made in China shit!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
I have had a couple of the identical USB models. Here is what you can get . . .

picture.php

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I've bought 2 so far and none are compatible with Linux even though one was advertised as being Linux compatible.

Retailers will say just about anything won't they?

You could buy a cheap used phone for microscoping and disable wifi after downloading apps. If you want to transfer files to your computer you can use usb.

Funny you say That Horselover.I found some instructional vids on youtube addressing photo tips and tricks.I had no idea that Iphones were so versatile.I'm not ruling out buying a USB cam after having seen the results tobedetermined is getting.

I own one and it was OK, which doesn't mean diddly (2/5). Software is clunky (probably more suited for phones) (1/5). Mine is USB operated but it is the same scope. I have reverted to the good old fashioned 60X jeweler's scope, after I was recommended to take my glasses off while using.

Typical made in China shit!

I have a 40x Switcher.I struggle so badly trying to see,that I am really felt the need to find something easier to use.

I can send you the crummy model that I bought. Don't believe the magnification claim of 1000x on the model you are considering either.

Get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TELMU-Microscope-Magnification-Illumination-Microscopes/dp/B07DQQKJNZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=manual+microscope&qid=1599652805&sr=8-4

buzz! Yeah,no doubt that would kill it!

The only problem with that one, is that you have to take samples off the plant.

I have had a couple of the identical USB models. Here is what you can get . . .

View Image

Thanks for that pic tobedetermined.That really helps to actually see what the results are.Certainly worth a try I should think.
Thanks for that!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Retailers will say just about anything won't they?
I have a 40x Switcher.I struggle so badly trying to see,that I am really felt the need to find something easier to use.

You need a 60x

Thanks for that pic tobedetermined.That really helps to actually see what the results are.Certainly worth a try I should think.
Thanks for that!
The stand it comes with is a POS. You'll need to hold that sucker steady. The Chinese idea is to take a sample and view. That's not how we do it, or I for that matter.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
The stand it comes with is a POS. You'll need to hold that sucker steady.

All true. I rigged a pole that I can stick into the plant mass. 1 photo out of 20 is clear enough. So if you can make it stable enough, it does a decent job.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I bought this piece of shit.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1000X8-LED-USB-2-0-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-Zoom-Camera-Magnifier-Stand-2MP/322821777551?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It has zero depth of field, so you can only focus on one tiny spot.

You have no idea how long it took me to get this (Swazi Brick. aka: Malawi Cob).

(phone pic)
picture.php

(Micro pics)
Notice the small focal area in this pic.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I just ordered this one
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00XNYXQHE?linkCode=gs2&tag=impexion04-20
We'll see if it works better.

Latest posts

Latest posts