What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need advice on how to improve very sandy soil.

Cuddles

that actually doesn't sound half bad, I've seen them use the hay bales to grow veggies but not dug into the ground. I'll do some reading as I have about 3 months to go before I plant so I should be able to get something right before that.
how interesting! Just hay or is it mixed with something else? what about nutrients?

Red October

how interesting! Just hay or is it mixed with something else? what about nutrients?
From what I've read, you add only a little bit of soil and ferts. The bale breaks down and supplies most of the nutrients.

A friend of mine did he's vegetable garden this way and it did very well.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Red October, moses wellfleet said compost I'm not sure you are listening or heard correctly. Compost is organic matter. Dirt and soil are not compost. You want compost not dirt or soil or rocks. No, 100% organic matter with 0% wood content is what you want. For growing nice healthy plants. Salespeople will show you the way to a wishing well to throw your money into. As in buy a bale of mined peat moss and $1000 kool aid pack of microbes for your hype seeds and clones w0t. Compost is the best amendment and the best compost is fresh made.

Red October

Apologies I should have been a bit more specific, it is indeed composted material. We used the same company before in our old place for our raised beds for flowers and veggies and it worked very well, stayed there for a few years and other than adding in some pellet fertilizer once a year and we didn't have any issues. This is a combination of nicely matured and active organic matter, I judge this with the amount of heat it puts off, with woodchips some clay and different manure all allowed to mature before being sold. This was the only economical solution for me as the sandy soil created some serious root oxygen issues with my other plants in pots as I was trying to see if a combination of my home soil and compost would be suitable as I thought it would drain easier and allow better oxygen absorption but it didn't, so I had to replace it all which was just over 4 cubic meters worth of organic compost. We rafer to it in general as soil and not compost, just like we refer to traffic lights as robots. We also don't have any access to good clones down here as I suppose it's a mission trying to get them to South Africa, we do have guys trying to sell stuff like cheese and slurricane clones but I'm not really trying to find tasty weed, I trying to find stuff that gets me high like the way I understand it should, which I'm not getting from my dealers as they are selling me shit like slurricane, cheese etc

I'm still planning on adding worms, I just need to get some good mulch together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts