What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sealed Rooms and AC failures

Grapefruitroop

Hi yall!:tiphat:
I decided to get my hands on some Hvac books to learn as much as possible about servicing a Minisplit cause i think its essencial if you run a sealed room.
I installed my minisplit but now is givin me some problem that i think are related to continuous Voltage swings that make the compressor shut randomly...
Im very happy and pleased about the pro's of a sealed room..(no bugs-molds, perfect environment control, absolute 100% stealth but im really sick and tired to have my days ruined by some random AC failure...it fuckin sucks have a machine that can give you so many problem if you are unlucky..
Sometimes i feel that i should ditch this sealed shit and go full vent...because i dont want to add some risk/lottery variables to the already funny process that is growing...

The AC is the main , and most important part of a sealed room and can be very annoyng to deal with...
How do you guys deal with that? aside from prayers and a good brand AC..?

Im thikin to open a couple vents , emergency vents, just in case of failure...but i really dont wana be like all my neigboors that stink the hell out of the hood when theyr near harvest...

My other idea was to put another minisplit in place of the big ass dehum that i have, so i could run it as substitute in case the other makes problems...otherwise run it as a dehum and save power too!
I have a Panasonic Installed but many peeps says that the new ones are junk...and i should go Mitsubishi...

Asslover

Veteran
Panasonic’s are not junk, but Mitsubishi’s are top dog for sure. I’ve been running Mitsubishi for years now and never so much as a hiccup....
What problems are you having exactly? Is your Panasonic unit an inverter model? Unless it wasn’t installed properly (you did vacuum the line set and check for leaks, right?) or it’s over sized (which would cause the compressor to “short cycle” on/off).
What size unit? How many watts are you trying to cool and how big is the room?
I’m in Florida so you KNOW we depend on AC’s...
Give me some more details and I can more than tell you what’s wrong...

growingcrazy

Put your lights on a thermostatically controlled relay that will shut them down in the event of a failure. If you run the room at 80, shut the lights down at 85.

Grapefruitroop

Thanks guys for the answers!
I def need to put the lights on a termostatic controller! I have led ina cool basement so the heat damage is relatively not a problem but..still a concern in flowering for sure...

Asslover....the size is about 14k btu and i think is properly sized for the 2400w of led....i checked the pressure of the gas with a pressure gauge and the refrigerant level is the same after a year...
i think that it shuts off because of voltage swings..
the self diagnose system says that there are problem of comunication between the internal unit and the compressor and this could be due by
-Improper wiring
-Bad PCBs plates....i guess are the circuits printed on that green board!?!
-Inconsistent Tension

The fact that i had this problem randomly and just one time last year and now last week a lot...like everyday...im suspectin that is the tension...
Im waiting a surgeprotector/stabilizer to come and see if is that or not...otherwise....mmm.bad plate?..
:tiphat:

Last edited:

Grapefruitroop

So....
The AC is givin me too many problems....It goes out very night now, prolly cause the company has the line overloaded...
Now...
Im at 2 week of flower, beautiful healthy canopy, but my temps are 26 C and 78-85 humidity!!!
yes your read it correctly 78-85 RH!!!!
Plants looks gorgeous and happy as f+++k but i think its a matter of time before the shit will hit the fan....
What can i do????? Pray??

I cant vent the room caus its packed with plants....i was thinkin to buy another portable ac but the exaust hose its a bitch to deal with....
a tension stabilizer for a finniky ac like mine would cost 900 buks and im not even sure its gona solve the problem...
i guess ill flower in that mushroom weather and see what happen!!
A bunch of moldy weed hahahaha
WTF!!!

next run ill dich this sealed bullshit and ill open some vents...fuck this noise.....

bucketgirl

Maybe your big ass dehumidifer ain't big ass enough if it can't keep you below 70% RH? You can run a little hotter in the sealed environment with co2, up to maybe 30c, though thats pushing it.

Did you check the terminations for the communication wires on the both ends? Maybe just replace the communication wire with some from the hardware store and see if that helps?

As for monitoring, there are some wifi enabled humidity/temp monitors that can blow up your phone with notifications if you're always around to act on them. The cheaper bluetooth ones suck, don't bother with them.

unnamedmike

In my indoor, when the fan is pulling air to the minisplit, the thermistor inside the mini split go crazy and the system freeze, until i reset the power. I lose a few plants before know about that.

cheers

Grapefruitroop

yes the dehum could be bigger...the one i have pulls 50liters a day and puts out lots of heat...its fine but has to be cooled somehow.
I checked few wirings... the only one that i still need to check is the outdoor unit, but.....i installed a year ago payn very much attention to this part, tryn to make the connection just perfect, knowing the importance of it in the transmissions of data between the 2 units...but i will check, thanks

Interesting also the tips on the fan blowin on the termistor!;)Thanks!

It really seems that the problems happens always at the same time, that makes me think that the quality of the electric service is pretty low....and this could cause random failures...
The machine worked good for a year h/24 with prolly just one or two failures like the ones im experiencing very often since july...
very often means more or less a day a week....
I cant afford a stabilizer right now so the only thing left is monitor the room, play with environment buffers and restart it when it fails....bummer....

Im startin to project a ventin system with Hepas and Ozone genny to get out of this slavery:biggrin:
Where i live the electric company cant guarantee a steady tension with quality of the service and the stabilizer route seems very ruff...(lots of models, big, heavy, some dont perform, they burn out fast in few years and theyr expensives) mmmm....im reading and reading but.....unless i find someone that can help me in explain and choose a model of stabilizer i wana ditch this whole system....