What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

co2 production by fermentation

geoffo

Ive just bought some 'turbo yeast' to run as a trial for co2 supplementation..

24hours in im recording 440ml of co2 displacement per minute into an upturned jug full of water from 1 pack. I can to an extent increase or decrease the co2 output by slightly cooling or heating the fermentation carboy between 20-35c

Im hoping co2 production will last 5-7days before tailing off. Total cost less than £8, £2.50 for the yeast £6 for 12kg sugar, ive only used half.

I get 25litres 20% ethanol - alcohol at the end of this too.

You dont need sugar for the source of energy, for example wood shavings/chips could be used giving you methanol instead - but dont try drink that.
Or use grass cuttings, fruit, grain etc.

What im saying is you could produce your co2 for absolute pennies and have a viable secondary byproduct worth more than your initial investment when youre done. Ethanol, Methanol or a vinegar sprung to my mind. If you dont drink it itll run your car if distilled n purified.

my equipment a 30l glass wine carboy running a tube directly to where i want it. 25l water, 1 pack alcotec turbonyeast. In this case im just measuring output. To dry the co2 you could bubble it through salt, exchange once wet and put the salt somewhere to dry back out then half an hour in the oven to drive off the remaining moisture. and its ready to reuse.

As a fix for masking the smell of cannabis the fermenting yeast totally killed the cannabis smell in my house, smells like a brewery instead.

Ive made this post to ask for more indepth knowledge on co2 use and the practicality of using DIY fermented co2 as a viable alternative for growers as ive never supplemented with co2 before.

For a sealed or semi recirculating air system co2 flow of 440ml per minutes more than enough for small setups isnt it? - that is dependent on if youre recirculating or running your entire system to exhaust?

I havnt costed buying co2 properley yet for my size growspace setup but i didnt like the initial rough estimates, this if made to work is a fraction of the cost.

Im currently bubbling the co2 through R/O water while lights are out just to see if itll change the ph and the co2 be beneficial as i flush a plant in soil. Be nice for an easy way to compress and store it for when lights come on.

Il continue to measure the co2 output over the coming days and post results here and see where it goes from there.
Id be interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Also has anyone seen the research document on using glycerol on plant species and increase in yields? It sounds like carboload but the results on the test species would be a dream if cannabis reacted in a similar way

THC123

Veteran
I am goin g to switch to ammonium bicarbonate. I am tried of the yeast smell plus it is less of a hassle

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've done this in the past. Were I to do it again I would rig up some kind of carbon filter to remove the yeast smell. ;)

Kudos on the thread, I'll be watching. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts