What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

vanilla dutch

good question.equavilent probally. its more or less about how much are you going to invest to produce your own buds instead of purchasing them from a "dealer". diy buds

Koondense

Veteran
I have a hard time believing in 3g/W, is there a chance to know more(pics) , a particular clone or what is the magic here?

Cheers

gladysvjubb

Veteran
If you have not grown Zamaldelica, you do not know the extent that the flowers go. Whew!!! BIGGEST, BADDEST bud. Lots of powerful weight there.

Koondense

Veteran
I did and can say it's not among the highest yielders. Can yield pretty good but not as good as some others(like GT for example, some others even higher).
There's surely something else at play, maybe DWC.

Cheers

mtntrogger

Veteran
About a year and a half ago, I ditched the HPS for these from Home Depot. I have 4 in my flowering room. It is bright as hell. I have Jack Herrer, Zamaldelica and Malawi under them. The results are spectacular!!!
With the 4 of them running the temp jumps up to 83-86F. Very nice. Oh yes, these are $99 each and I have NEVER seen them go on sale. Too much demand.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-000-Lumens-5000K-Daylight-50232161/302456569
awesome ! im really interested in these. very cool, thanks for the info

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Growing is converting photons to energy for growth and the light that puts out most [par] photons will grow most bud (assuming perfect conditions).

Last edited:

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
I have a hard time believing in 3g/W, is there a chance to know more(pics) , a particular clone or what is the magic here?

Cheers

aha okey but the crew down makes selfie at his runnig room for ppl how here not knowing personly ;)

i know all the infos but what i got back if share it if not belevie it, if nothing is answer then is no answer avabile :chin:

magic is his golden hands, knowledge, skills, Co2 the right QB LeD and clones :smoke:

Last edited:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
115 w of TCI leds --> 281grams of dried buds
picture.php

original post: from what_can_there

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8703197&postcount=1687

Koondense

Veteran
aha okey but the crew down makes selfie at his runnig room for ppl how here not knowing personly ;)

i know all the infos but what i got back if share it if not belevie it, if nothing is answer then is no answer avabile :chin:

magic is his golden hands, knowledge, skills, Co2 the right QB LeD and clones :smoke:

No need to be too specific, i understand.
Ok, dwc and co2 with the right plant it could be around 2.5-3gpw but still would be lovely to see some pics of such a canopy. Never seen anything above 2.3gpw and from what i saw there was room for improvement.
Can you at least say which variety yields this much? Maybe i should reconsider the commercial approach :)

Cheers

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
No need to be too specific, i understand.
Ok, dwc and co2 with the right plant it could be around 2.5-3gpw but still would be lovely to see some pics of such a canopy. Never seen anything above 2.3gpw and from what i saw there was room for improvement.
Can you at least say which variety yields this much? Maybe i should reconsider the commercial approach :)

Cheers

yeah i can share with you on pm the details, hit me up :D

ozzieAI

Veteran
well all i can say is that QBs rock...and growing in dirt with no Co2 i have friends that get 1.5 to 1.8 g/watt...over 2 is highly impressive...3 is just crazy...

a grower i know went from 600 watt hps to 560 watt QBs in a 4x4 tent and gets a better return, 2+ lb up from 1.2 lb and his overall energy consumption is down due to less climate control...

manipulating the wattage v distance equation is much easier and really allows for the ability to maximise growth at lower wattage and allows for better plant training due to the spread of light...

TPFTFW

Veteran
first run with LED's
haven't grown properly in a few years
I have a feeling this will be pretty good
over the course of first week n a half or so of flower pictured

2 x 640w
lm301b 3500k, 660nm far red, far blue and UV

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

ozzieAI

Veteran
first run with LED's
haven't grown properly in a few years
I have a feeling this will be pretty good
over the course of first week n a half or so of flower pictured

2 x 640w
lm301b 3500k, 660nm far red, far blue and UV

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

what a sea of green you got...very well done...

i am glad you got those in flower...and wish you good luck for the rest of your grow...

what i really love about leds is the frost you get....and the generally a week earlier harvest...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
GPW is such a subjective measurement; depends on the variety, how long you veg makes a massive difference. Unless you do a side by side test with same varieties, conditions etc, it's nearly impossible to judge.

I switched from a 400w HPS to a 350w LED and noticed the buds were quite similar but the LED had better penetration and the buds were better quality, more resinous and better terps. With the LED, lower buds were much better formed than HPS. This was from an old shitty Mars.

I ditched the old Mars and now use a 420w LED that has far red and UV. My preference is for sativa's and they seem more compact under LED. Bottom line is I wouldn't go back to HPS.

TPFTFW

Veteran
GPW is such a subjective measurement; depends on the variety, how long you veg makes a massive difference. Unless you do a side by side test with same varieties, conditions etc, it's nearly impossible to judge.

I switched from a 400w HPS to a 350w LED and noticed the buds were quite similar but the LED had better penetration and the buds were better quality, more resinous and better terps. With the LED, lower buds were much better formed than HPS. This was from an old shitty Mars.

I ditched the old Mars and now use a 420w LED that has far red and UV. My preference is for sativa's and they seem more compact under LED. Bottom line is I wouldn't go back to HPS.

It really isn’t subjective at all

it has nothing to do with veg time etc

I can do the same thing with 12 plants as I can with 4, with a 1/3 of the veg time

While canopy management and variety play a role, it doesn’t diminish results on a GPW basis

if someone hits 3 gpw with my light, then I know it’s attainable and that’s something to shoot for.. anything less is on me and my skills ya dig

bushed

I think the old heads just got tired of saying it, so I'm just going to say it, there's no such thing as 3gpw, it's just people on the internet lieing.

Look at grows from top commercial growers, there yield is always around 1gpw maybe close to 2gpw for super high yielding strains.

I'm not claiming to be a master but I've known a few and have grown in enough different styles to know bullshit when I smell it.

So it's one of two things either people lieing through there teeth or a very different perspective on what dry means.