What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Los Angeles Hash Oil Factory Explodes

therevverend

Veteran
This ain't good..

https://news.sky.com/story/10-firefighters-hurt-in-downtown-los-angeles-fire-11989680

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
If you go to Google maps - street view - for 309 San Pedro St, you can see a skid of butane on the sidewalk . . .

T

TakenByTheSky

Dangerous stuff. I once read about a fridge that blew up because someone put fresh BHO in the fridge and when the compressor kicked on it ignited the gas built up in the fridge and kablamo!

G

I read that shit on DM and wow. Hopefully no one was seriously hurt and it had conflicting info on injured fire fighters.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
LA Hash Oil Shop Explosion

LA Hash Oil Shop Explosion

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flames coming out of the building across the street. The fireman got burned, some critical I guess. Pot is safe but butane.....

therevverend

Veteran
Maybe hash oil was the secret ingredient in Greek Fire? They used the butane or other petroleum product to blast it all over the ships and ignite the hash oil, which would then burn for days. In water and on people.

JetLife175

Veteran
Holy shit I know these guys. I’m gonna see what I can find out. I know for a fact they aren’t licensed to process hash. That’s where I used to buy all my butane before I had the ntane connect. I’m fucking tripped out right now.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I saw a video of it, the firemen on the ladder when it blew where engulfed in flames, didn’t look good...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Holy shit I know these guys. I’m gonna see what I can find out. I know for a fact they aren’t licensed to process hash. That’s where I used to buy all my butane before I had the ntane connect. I’m fucking tripped out right now.

i was wondering about this, it sounds like a build up of vapor caused the explosion
a reputable processing location would have serious ventilation and a fire suppression system in place you would think
let us know what you find out

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
History of Oil in Los Angeles - S T A N D - L.A.

History of Oil in Los Angeles - S T A N D - L.A.

A History of Neighborhood Drilling

Oil extraction is a dark remnant of the early days of L.A.’s growth.

The fossil fuel industry played a huge role in Los Angeles’ early development, when oil was easy to access and there was a distinct separation between oil producing zones and residential neighborhoods. In the 1890s, the small town of Los Angeles (population 50,000) discovered some of the most productive oil fields in history. By 1930, California was producing nearly one quarter of the world's oil output, and its population had grown to 1.2 million.

This was the wild west of oil extraction, with an abundance of easily accessible oil, minimal regulation, and no understanding of the health or environmental impacts to create a true free-for-all. Los Angeles remains the largest urban oil field in the country. Thousands of active oil wells in the greater L.A. area are located amongst a dense population of more than 10 million people.

Though conventional oil reserves have dwindled, oil drilling in L.A. still remains pervasive. Oil rigs dot the city but are often hidden from sight through the use of tall fences, clandestine structures or by drilling in Los Angeles’ often overlooked low-income neighborhoods.

580,000 ANGELENOS
currently live
less than a quarter mile
from an active oil well.

These individuals have no control over what oil-related activities take place in their neighborhoods, including tanker truck traffic, use of chemicals and acids for drilling and the release of pollutants into the air. When the zoning code that addresses oil exploration was developed in the 1960’s, seatbelt laws hadn’t been implemented, smoking on planes was allowed and our nation’s landmark environmental laws had yet to be developed.

As the supply of easily accessible fossil fuel in Los Angeles dwindles, drillers increasingly resort to extreme and dangerous methods to extract oil, even in residential neighborhoods. And as the new extraction technologies become increasingly extreme and secretive, regulators have been unable to monitor or even track what is happening in the middle of Los Angeles communities. We currently have no means of comprehensively tracking oil related activity in Los Angeles, leaving residents in the dark about industrial activity taking place near their homes.
<hr style="width:100%;clear:both;visibility:hidden;">
The existence of oil facilities near residential land uses is both a historical accident and a zoning failure, but it is not safe, prudent or reasonable.

This photo essay from The Atlantic helps illustrate the extent of oil exploration in Los Angeles – then and now.
1676459_orig.jpg

Oil derricks in Signal Hill, 1937. (Source: Library of Congress)

1440693151.png

A home near a well in Signal Hill. (Source: David McNew/Getty Images)

A well near a McDonald's restaurant. (Source: Google, Inc.)
3615988_orig.jpg

A camouflaged oil derrick (center) in operation beside the athletic fields and buildings of Beverly Hills High School. (Source: Google, Inc.)
8643512_orig.jpg

Cardiff Tower, a camouflaged oil drilling site on West Pico Boulevard with 40 active wells in the Beverly Hills Oil Field. (Source: Google, Inc.)
7064827_orig.jpg

Aerial view of the Inglewood Oil Field. (Source: Google, Inc.)

Oil rig pumpjacks extract crude from the Wilmington Field oil deposits. (Source: Reuters/David McNew)

Source: https://www.stand.la/history-of-oil-in-los-angeles.html

Fertilizers what we understand as indoor or greenhouse nursery production is related to, dependent upon reliant on crude oil drilling and extraction from Earth. Fossil fuels such as coal or natural gas are converted into electricity and also used as raw materials for fertilizer and drug synthesis. Pills, and ferts, and the plastic pots, all made from similar starting material (crude oil) as butane.

There are lots of flammables around but it does not look like there is any "hash" or cannabis. None of the posters say anything about CBD, THC, or Cannabis flowers there are no leaves or buds. It says terpenes, and soccer clothing :(

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
ok...
fun history, california is rich in natural resources
but a lot has changes since then
to have an shoddy oil lab in the middle of any populated area is bad news

rootfingers

It looks to me like these guys were supplying hydrocarbons to people doing extractions and not actually extracting themselves. Still in violation of several codes I assume. For flammable gasses and tanks under pressure, most municipalities and insurance companies require special storage conditions outside of living or business structures for fire and explosion concerns.

EsterEssence

Veteran
The feds are all over the place, 4 of the firefighters are still in the hospital with nasty burns. Things like this give cannabis a bad name, you folks that use butane really need to give it respect, and use it in a safe and responsible way...

troutman

Seed Whore
I call negligence as the main factor involving most explosions or fires.

Too many wannabee idiots playing with flammable substances who don't know a freaking thing about chemistry.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never gotten the appeal of hash oil. Buds are fine or dry sift, why use chemicals to turn it into something else?

The danger of explosions and contaminates in the oil are the other problem. They had hash oil back in the 70's, nothing new about it.

Latest posts

Latest posts