What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Temperature for sprouting seeds

Treevly

For sprouting seeds, which temperature works for you? Fahrenheit or German, I'm bilingual. Thank you.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I think Fahrenheit was German.

I also think you meant Celsius.

I pop mine at room temperature 70 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 degrees Celsius.

therevverend

Veteran
There's a wide range of temperatures seeds will sprout at although occasional strains will need a specific temperature. Anywhere from 70-90 degrees F with 78-80 being the sweet spot. If you're going below 70 you'll need a heat mat. I regularly sprout seeds at 55-65 degrees with a heat mat but the lower the temperature the lower the germination rate. I've seen seeds sprout outdoors at 50-35 degree F temperatures with enough directs sun. There's a big difference in sprouting seeds with almost no light vs full lighting.

I don't have a lot of experience sprouting seeds above 80 degrees F so I can't comment on high temperature germination. It's probably similar to low temperatures, as you move away from the 78 degree sweet spot less seeds and strains will want to sprout. I've seen a strain that wouldn't sprout below 73 degrees for instance. It's rare though as long as you're above 70 with a light source you're fine.

mr.brunch

Veteran
On top of the kitchen cupboard-temperature.
Not sure what that is but it always works.
Feels nice and warm...

therevverend

Veteran
On top of the kitchen cupboard-temperature.
Not sure what that is but it always works.
Feels nice and warm...

Ha that's exactly what I picture in my mind, what I have to search for in F or C degrees to describe. It's what I try to re-create with my heat mat. It was also my trick for quick drying sample buds right before harvest.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
i put mine on top of the cable box in moist paper towels. (inside Tupperware containers to keep the water from evaporating and drying out the paper towels)

What temp is that?
I don't know.
But it works.

-cap

therevverend

Veteran
The supplemental heat source, heat mat, kitchen cupboard, cable box, or whatever is important when you don't have a direct light source heating the soil. This should be obvious but without the energy put into the soil the seedlings are going to have a hard time getting started. If you're sprouting under fluorescent lighting you should probably use a heat mat since the light isn't as warm as more powerful lighting.

However if it's 80 degrees already all a heat mat is going to do is dry your soil out too fast....

superpedro

Veteran
My range is 20 - 25 degrees C.

I like to start them in the cool end. Give them time to soak. If too hot I've seen many sprouts destroying themselves by squeezing out of a hard shell that wont open for them.
If nothing happened on day 3 I move them to a place with more heat.

Latest posts

Latest posts