What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

People are vaping THC. Lung injuries being reported nationwide. Why is the CDC stayin

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
A vaping device heats a volatile liquid in a cartridge, which the user inhales from the device, and simply turns a liquid to vapor. The main ingredients in e-liquid –glycerin, for the clouds of vapor; propylene glycol, for the flavoring to bind to; flavoring, for flavor and nicotine, which is obtained as a pure, pharmaceutical-grade concentrate.

Chemicals found in e-cigarette liquid may be a potential cause of popcorn lung. According to the American Lung Association, using electronic cigarettes or vaping, particularly the flavored varieties, can cause popcorn lung.

E-cigarette vapor has been proven to contain diacetyl. Popcorn lung is a rare condition that causes airway scarring due to inflammation and eventually lung damage due to diacetyl, over time, with chronic use, inflammation associated with popcorn lung causes lung tissues and airways to scar and narrow, causing breathing difficulties. Popcorn lung is also known as bronchiolitis obliterans, or constrictive bronchiolitis, causing inability to breathe.

What starts out as wheezing, asthma symptoms, nose and mouth irritation dry cough can be a symptom of vaping.

I think the CDC is looking for an answer, albeit, they are grasping for information to lead them to a definitive diagnosis.

With products coming out of China or possibly tainted THC/ terpenes, it's the healthcare (scare) mystery of Summer 2019.
... and that is the BS I was talking about! If what you say is true, this current event would have happened long ago dontcha think?

dddaver

Veteran
Real tact there chief. Searching for answers is very common. Best, stick to flowers or even hash.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
... from the President of the Nova Scotia Lung Association Oct '2012. "Although ecigs are only safer than combusting (tons of data to support that) we have to embrace the industry for what it is, THR (Tobacco Harm Reduction). That being said, we need not repeat the mistakes of big tobacco and keep an eye on things".

I/we as vapers support that approach and welcome all factual data surrounding vaping.

Now here is one! I would like to know why and how we are seeing vape commercials on TV it was against the law. I haven't seen where the ban was lifted. The adds are targeting children (something we never supported) with a subsequent rise is teen usage, from never smokers.

IMHO it is no different than theb discussion going on here wrt cannabis. JUst a different flavour :) BTW the Jamaicans sure had it right with their steam pipes!

Mr. J

It's funny that all this stuff is happening with concentrates when the ecig guys already went through all this years and years ago. You guys are even using those ancient, obsolete cartomizers that we stopped using in 2012.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I heard they were blaming the THC carts because they haven’t been tested. I personally tried one puff of some tuti fruity cart of cannabis, I didn’t care for the taste, didn’t feel anything from the THC and haven’t figured out why this would become popular except for convenience. Some friends wanted me to try and use some of the carriers, pg,veg, coconut oil, to me it was all junk and I told them I wouldn’t put my name on it. I will stick to the coil type pen you put a dab in and heat the pure rosin. They will probably come out and say those are bad too. I don’t like combustion so vaping, is the way I want to inhale my cannabis...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wait and see what the culprit is. As mentioned....symptoms could have been dismissed years ago.
And pop corn lung is not a fabrication.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Wait and see what the culprit is. As mentioned....symptoms could have been dismissed years ago.
And pop corn lung is not a fabrication.
You are right, popcorn wasn't a fabrication. OTOH the only 2 reported cases are the 2 factory workers. FWIW it was a redish brown brick bldg where the walls and machinery were yellow and workers did not wear masks. Wrt diacetyl, why don't you look up the % of diacetyl contained in cigarettes. It's order of magnitudes higher, not that that is a good thing neither. I would like to know why there isn't many cooks suffering from popcorn lung considering the butter vapours they breath in daily! I'm :dance013:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Last night at our gig, we were out on the patio and, as always, people were passing, pipes, joints and 'cart pens' (distillate with dilutant). I was amazed at the number of people who would willing take the pipe or joint but wouldn't take the pen. So, the news s getting out.

However, when I offered my terp pen, which 1s plain rosin on a coil, they also refused because the don't know the details of the difference between the 2. The news simply has them scared of anything called vaping.

Amazing, sheeple.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BO is caused by a lot more than just popcorn vapors. And it's not real butter it was the artificial butters that caused it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiolitis_obliterans
I'm of the mind it's the glycol still, there are set limits for safety exposure in the theater and people are basically putting their mouths on fog machines.

Agree with you, Agent, yet think there's a question with the diacetyl! I'm thinking makers decided to cut corners, use an inferior product or material (glycol derivative or diacetyl), possibly from China, which has a reputation for being one of the most toxic places on this globe, and selling Chinese manufactured cartridges throughout the USA. All of this to boost profits.

After workers at a factory that packaged microwave popcorn were found to have bronchiolitis obliterans more often than other people, some companies stopped using diacetyl as a flavoring. But it's still used in some electronic cigarette flavors in the US (guessing not Canada). Many e-cigarette makers state they aren't using this chemical in their products and its use in e-cigarettes is banned in Europe.

Workers at the microwave-popcorn production plant directly involved in the production of microwave popcorn had higher rates of shortness of breath on exertion and skin problems that had developed since they started work than workers in other parts of the plant. There was a strong relation between the quartile of estimated cumulative exposure to diacetyl and the frequency and extent of airway obstruction.

And those Jamaicans did not use flavoring chemicals ...only steam- water vapor, to inhale.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I also read an article that claimed vitamin E oil. I wonder if the people at True Terps are going.... "Oh Oh, that's us".

CaptainDankness

I also read an article that claimed vitamin E oil. I wonder if the people at True Terps are going.... "Oh Oh, that's us".
They must be by now, lol, they are named in this article...

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/...S3VB0f3N8nPLqv63JoHyZeyk_Ok6uNpTV_2r4CJwa7irs
Apparently Vitamin E oil is also being used to cut THC oil because it's about the same viscosity as THC oil.

Well I'm certain not smoking on anyone's black market vapes anymore. I damn sure don't need lung problems that may have killed 3 people.

dddaver

Veteran
I get so pissed off watching CBS news and and that asshole medical "expert" Dr John Lapook. I yell at the TV. I feel like an old man shaking my fist :biggrin:

First, it is so obvious that creep has always been anti-cannabis. ALL his reporting about cannabis has been negative. Every single time creepo says anything about it. But then they keep saying it's THC or nicotine vaping causing problems and deaths. NO IT'S NOT. It's the medium that is being used in those knock off ecigs.

The liars know that. That medical "expert", La-fucking-pook, has to know that. I don't believe anything those asshole big news media liars say about anything anymore.

herbgreen

Veteran
Its also the Turbo charged devices

Have you seen these vape units???

people think they should just hit the thing all day and its nicotine liquids

used as THC delivery but way less than nicotine......

CBS news followed by vape blue next gen and jule commercials!

Mr. J

Its also the Turbo charged devices

Have you seen these vape units???

people think they should just hit the thing all day and its nicotine liquids

used as THC delivery but way less than nicotine......

CBS news followed by vape blue next gen and jule commercials!

Except even the most stupidest cloudbros, the ones who aspire to be dragons, haven't died from vaping nicotine and VG/PG. Like, never. It's all on the greedy stupid fucking weedbros in this dirty business diluting their concentrates (diluting a concentrate is working backwards) with poison.

herbgreen

Veteran
Except even the most stupidest cloudbros, the ones who aspire to be dragons, haven't died from vaping nicotine and VG/PG. Like, never. It's all on the greedy stupid fucking weedbros in this dirty business diluting their concentrates (diluting a concentrate is working backwards) with poison.

What are they diluting them with???