What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Seed Storage

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
the ol film canisterz, in zip lock, in mason jarz in a few U.S. Military Surplus Waterproof M2A1 .50 Caliber Ammo Can, in the basement, dark/cool.

Riamba

From what I've been researching, the key to efficient conservation is minimizing the humidity and achieving hermeticism within the containers. Low temp helps too but stopping moisture to break in is the ultimate priority IMO.

ColibriGR

I have some good genetics stored in my freezer, I have crosses with northerlight here in Brazil, I have no problems ??

acespicoli

Its a common misconception that plastic storage bags are water proof, according to my latest research into this area they are not water proof or even resistant to vapors.
The reason to choose glass over plastic - even with a plastic cap or cork, sealing wax can be used
Glass and aluminum have the best available barrier properties
Very important to long term seed storage

When the components are placed in the Moisture Barrier Bag (MBB)

we'll assume they are dry.

We then rely on the desiccant and the bag to keep the environment within the bag very dry.

The effectiveness of the bag in keeping moisture out depends on two things:
  1. The permeability of the bag itself
  2. The effectiveness of the seal
On both counts,"Ziploc" type bags are vastly inferior to a good MBB. A good MBB will meet the requirements of J-STD-033 with respect to permeability, and will retain a dry environment for as long as 3 years. The permeability of the bag is improved(reduced) by the metallization; it's much harder to diffuse water through a metal film than through a plastic one. The metal film is not present across the seal, so the thickness of the seal (the distance the moisture needs to travel) is important. A Ziploc-type bag has an extremely poor seal, as well as high permeability.

Moisture Vapor and Oxygen Transmission Rates
Compound Vapor. (g 25?/m2/24h) Oxygen. (g 25?/m2/24h) Polyvinylidene Dichloride (Saran) 0.9 - 3.4 1.2 - 2.3 Biaxial Oriented Polypropylene (PP) 5.9 2526 HD-Polyethylene 5.9 2325 Polypropylene (PP) 10.7 - LD Polyethylene (LDPE) 17.7 8586 Biaxial oriented PET 18.6 35.6 Poly(ethylene terephthalate) (PET) 20.2 - Ethylene-Vinyl Alcohol (EVAL G - L) 22 - 124 0.1 - 1.9 Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) 46.5 - Polystyrene (PS) 132 4030 Biaxially Oriented Nylon 6 (PA6) 158 25.6 Polycarbonate (PC) 170.5 - aKuraray - Eval, Tachnical Bulletin No. 110
Barrier Properties of Polymers
(Permeability, Solubility and Diffusivity)

Moisture vapor transmission rate (MVTR), also water vapor transmission rate (WVTR), is a measure of the passage of water vapor through a substance. It is a measure of the permeability for vapor barriers.

ASTM Standards

• ASTM D1434 - Standard Test Method for Determining Gas Permeability Characteristics of Plastic Film and Sheeting
  • ASTM D3079 - Standard Test Method for Water Vapor Transmission of Flexible Heat-Sealed Packages for Dry Products
  • ASTM D4279 - Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmission of Shipping Containers-Constant and Cycle Methods
  • ASTM D7709[6] - Standard Test Methods for Measuring Water Vapor Transmission Rate (WVTR) of Pharmaceutical Bottles and Blisters
  • ASTM E96 - Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmission of Materials
  • ASTM E398 - Standard Test Method for Water Vapor Transmission Rate of Sheet Materials Using Dynamic Relative Humidity Measurement
  • ASTM F1249 - Standard Test Method for Water Vapor Transmission Rate Through Plastic Film and Sheeting Using a Modulated Infrared Sensor
  • ASTM F2298- Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Diffusion Resistance and Air Flow Resistance of Clothing Materials Using the Dynamic Moisture Permeation Cell
Further reading

THE WILEY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PACKAGING TECHNOLOGY PDF

Last edited:

vanilla dutch

saw these in a store.thought i would share

Attachments

• 20200809_174739.jpg
    20200809_174739.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61

Lolo94

Here's a very simple way.
1.Add 1 inch of rice to the bottom a cleaned and dried glass sphagetti jar(or something similar).
2. Place amount of seeds needed for one time use in piece of tin foil and cover.
3. Place tin foil packets in empty vegetable seed packs or something similar. Use one or multiple seed packets to organize by date, strain, ECT..
4. Place seed packets in glass jars.
5. Put jar in back of refrigerator (less exposed) to temp change).

Been using this technique successfully for 30 years. Latest seed germination was 16/16 for seeds I bred in March 2011. Typically reproduce seeds every 10 years or so.

acespicoli

I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

View Image

Skinny Leaf
If you have a moment and see this please give me a explanation of the filling and sealing of the Ampoules you use for seed storage.
As well as the opening procedure you use.

Those containers are the best example of a long term storage solution in my opinion it took me awhile to realize they are lab grade cryo storage containers :good:
Found a case of 1ml Ampoules 144/ 35$ USD on Amazon and might give them a go was thinking about a 19.99 opener and the glass rod or pull to seal them?
What size exactly are you using and do you find that even large cannabis seeds will fit ?

Last edited:

F2F

Skinny Leaf
If you have a moment and see this please give me a explanation of the filling and sealing of the Ampoules you use for seed storage.
As well as the opening procedure you use.

Those containers are the best example of a long term storage solution in my opinion it took me awhile to realize they are lab grade cryo storage containers :good:
Found a case of 1ml Ampoules 144/ 35$ USD on Amazon and might give them a go was thinking about a 19.99 opener and the glass rod to seal them
What size exactly are you using and do you find that even large cannabis seeds will fit ?

^^^this. Been eyeing ampules for a while now. I wanna break out seeds in multiples of like 3-5 at a time.

Peace
F2F

jump /injack

Veteran
I made some female seeds and still have some pollen. It's about 7 years old, in a jar with desiccant wrapped in parchment in the freezer, couldn't find shelf life of stored pollen?? Don't know if it's viable, storing pollen anybody know?

sbeanonnamellow

Stored appropriately, pollen is documented here at ICMAG to remain viable for at least 17 years according to Chimera.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228252

Q- 'Hi (chimera). I was wondering if you can tell me what is the best way to freeze pollen in?

what should the pollen be put in ive read a few different ways but i thought you would know best."

A- Flower pollen donors. Cut the stalks of large branches at a 45 degree angle just before the flowers begin to open. Place in a vase of fresh water, stem down, as you would with cut flowers.

When the staminate flowers begin to point downwards, remove all but the floral material (ie leaves etc) with sharp scissors... be gentle as the more you knock the flowers around, the more pollen you'll lose.

When the pollen starts to drop, place the branches on a sheet of aluminum foil or a dry piece of paper in a room with no draft or air currents. Leave for 12 hours and shake very gently, flip them over on their backs and repeat the process..

Collect the pollen, remove debris (plant matter, flowers etc), screen it with a 40u screen or the like, and dry it for a day in a low humidity room on a piece of printer paper laid over some cardboard stock- this will help dry out the pollen.

Collect the pollen and freeze it in an airtight container like an old film canister or a small tupperware container. Dip the top of the container in liquid wax if you think the seal is not airtight. Freeze in a stable temperature freezer, -20 C or deeper is best.

Dividing the pollen into multiple 'satchels' or small envelopes allows you to break into your pollen collection and pull some out a little bit at a time without contaminating the whole batch. Work quickly when the pollen is pulled out of the freezer! Put the remaining 'packets' back in the freezer ASAP.

Remember, a little goes a long way so don't put it all in a single envelope.

Pollen stored using these principles has allowed breeders to store pollen for up to 17 years and still remain viable. I suspect it would last longer still, but these are the results we currently have to work with.

Simple as.

You can use the old paint brush method to apply the pollen, but Mel Frank recently showed me that using a clean finger dipped into the pollen can be more effective and give more control over the pollen, since the natural oils on our skin act as a 'sticker' and keeps the pollen from flying around where it might not be wanted. Just gently rub your fingers along the stigmatic surface of the pistils, and you should get a pretty decent seed set. Certainly enough for home crosses, preservation, or test crosses.

Enjoy!

-Chimera

Dust some ladies and let us know how it goes! Best of luck jump /injack. Hope your day or night is treating you well!

sbeanonnamellow

Also would like to say this is a rad fucking thread! Way to be acespicoli, those ampoules are so cool. First time I have ever seen anything like that, thanks for the introduction. Hope your day or night is as awesome as you!

acespicoli

Also would like to say this is a rad fucking thread! Way to be acespicoli, those ampoules are so cool. First time I have ever seen anything like that, thanks for the introduction. Hope your day or night is as awesome as you!

Glad you are here friend, :friends:
Appreciate the contribution thats a long time for pollen storage wow

sbeanonnamellow

Appreciate the warm welcome dude! Thanks for bumping the thread too because I noticed again those ampule things and wanted to ask Skinny Leaf a little about them if he swings back thoug and sees this.

I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

View Image

I was wondering what size those ampules are I'm guessing the 2 mL ones but wanted to be sure. Does the opening before sealing fit most all seed types from tiny sativa seeds to big fat afghan types? I see there's a bunch of lines in your stash so I'm guessing they work just fine. Thanks for sharing the idea mang, you're awesome! Hope you guys are having an enjoyable day or night wherever you may be.

acespicoli

ampoules are available here in 1,2,5,7,10,20ml
I have ordered samples and will do a review on them when the arrive
Will catalog opening size and approx seed capacity for volume using a micrometer

There is also a very good video on youtube > ampoule simple sealing in lab

(using a butane torch and snapped off ampule top) makes it look well... simple

Part of the test should also follow up on - high temp exposure and subsequent germination

sbeanonnamellow

Yo! Whattup man I couldn't resist and scooped some 5mL ampoules. I don't have a micrometer but I googled some and found a manufacturer that listed on the specs I can't recall now but I want to say somewhere between 6 and 7 mm opening for the 5 mL.

indicates that these average 2.2 mm in length (dime is 18 mm, and Chinese culinary seeds are 7.2 mm

The above quote refers to Cannabis so I'm pretty sure as long as they aren't mondo Chinese culinary seeds most others should fit fine.

You bring something up that I hadn't even considered before ordering the ampoules. How the fuck to seal them! For me, that's some involved shit! I'm worried I'll burn myself with the torch, holy fuck. I watched a bunch of videos too, and want to find something like the guy uses to spin his ampoule around while he's torching it, so it's even I assume. The scientific looking products they sell seem to just have a stand for the ampoule and two flames to hit from each side, giving even heating I guess.

The torch is kinda freaking me out, but I really wanna put these to use so they don't just sit in a corner collecting dust while my seeds just get older in less than ideal conditions.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted with how sealing them up goes for you if you can. Much love

sbeanonnamellow

So I checked a few more videos, I saw that one you mentioned before and thats the one I was like what the fuck dude is just super nonchalantly holding this motherfucker with his bare hands dancing around that flame like a ballerina. Pro moves right there.

Saw another video where a guy had a DIY holder that spun, again kinda too involved for me.

Your post got me looking again and I saw a video titled "sealing bromine in ampoules" and they have this super simple looking chemistry style holder that looks like something more my style. Google telling me it's called a laboratory stand with clamps. Appreciate you stimulating my brain juices getting me onto that setup. You're awesome dude

romanoweed

Does anyone have good Longtermresults with Tupperware, despite Plasic beeing not a s good as Glass?

I just need it smaller, a Glass takes so much Space

Latest posts

Latest posts