What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WTF: Illinois Police Say They May Euthanize Over 200 Drug-Sniffing Dogs If Marijuana

hoki2test

Veteran
WTF: Illinois Police Say They May Euthanize Over 200 Drug-Sniffing Dogs If Marijuana Is Legalized!

WATCH=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2CS7bld6BY

- Illinois Police Threaten to Euthanize Over 200 Drug-Sniffing Dogs If Weed Is Legalized
- Lawmakers and residents alike have made significant steps over the past two years in an effort to turn Illinois into the Midwest's first legal weed state. But while experts have predicted that Illinois could welcome adult-use legalization before the end of 2018, local police officers are still trying their best to prevent cannabis reform, even going as far as to threaten the lives of over 200 drug-sniffing dogs.

According to a report from the Pantagraph, Illinois cops have said that if marijuana becomes legal they will have few other options than to euthanize K9 cops trained to detect the smell of ganja.

Since drug dogs are taught from a young age to detect cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, and MDMA, as well as weed, cannabis legalization would complicate how they function on the force. For example, in Colorado, a court ruled last year that drug alerts from police dogs are not probable cause to search vehicles, as there's now reasonable doubt that the drug-sniffing pups could have detected marijuana and not one of the other, still illicit, narcotics.

"At this point, they're trained on five different odors. Once they're programmed with that, you can't just deprogram them," Normal, Illinois Police Department Assistant Chief Steve Petrilli, who was a K-9 handler for eight years, told the Pantagraph. "I think the implications of that would be huge."

Continuing in that line of thinking, Chad Larner, training director at the K-9 Training Academy in Macon County, Illinois, said that "a number of dogs would likely have to be euthanized." In total, Illinois is currently home to 275 drug-sniffing dogs.

However, while Illinois is certainly poised to be one of the first Midwestern states to welcome legal weed, the Prairie State is not the first to enact cannabis reform and subsequently deal with shifts in the job description of K9 cops.

In Colorado and Oregon, police departments have been retiring older drug-sniffing dogs as domestic pets for local officers, re-assigning police pooches to sniff out counterfeit money and explosives, and actively training dogs to reverse their cannabis training. As far as we can tell, no police department in a legal weed state has euthanized healthy dogs because they are trained to detect marijuana.

"That tells me people haven't been planning for the inevitable," said Captain Roger Ainsworth, who leads the K9 team at the Weld County, Colorado Sheriff Department. "For the past three or four years, we haven't even trained with marijuana with our dogs," he told the Greeley and Weld County Tribune about what he sees as no-brainer legalization preparations.

On the East Coast, New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal has been taking notes from Colorado cops, and has already indicated that Garden State drug dogs will soon undergo training to avoid marijuana, even as Governor Phil Murphy moves slowly in his promise to bring legal weed to the state

Even with high prices and training difficulties associated with teaching drug dogs to ignore weed, cannabis advocates have looked at options in other legalized states and met Illinois cops' claims with a heavy dose of skepticism, to say the least.

"The idea that legalizing for adults to have an ounce on them will equal ... all these dogs being euthanized, that seems kind of ridiculous and hyperbolic," Dan Linn, executive director of NORML Illinois, told the Pantagraph. He even described the death discussion as a "red herring."

That said, the assistant police chief in Normal, Illinois, and a Public Affairs Officer in Bloomington, Illinois both stated that local K-9 cops should be retired into domestic homes and not be killed if weed is legalized. For now, the euthanasia quote from the training director at Macon County's K-9 Training Academy appears to be the exception to the rule, or even a misguided and inaccurate claim. Let's hope so for our canna-K9 friends.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I am sure that many canna-friendly homes would welcome adopting a redundant drug-sniffing dog....

It would be real handy to have a dog to find your stash when you misplace/loose it, and that happens quite often.

N

noyd666

picture.php

M

moose eater

It's manipulative anti-cannabis hype, seeking to leverage heart-strings among the fence-sitters and gullible..

Public Safety (aka the cops) in Alaska stated they would need to put their dogs out of service and re-train new dogs for sniffing out contraband (minus weed) if weed was legalized.

It seems they lie & manipulate in their press releases as often as they lie on the witness stand; perpetually, and frequently... and often without any real penalty what so ever... Other than for many of us no longer put any stock in much of anything the buggers say.

But if they're looking for homes for well-trained German Shepherds (among other breeds I'm sure they use), we've already got a female that's amazing, and might be interested in another.

I suspect even a dog wants to get away from the Dark Side. And having a pup that sniffs out discarded stash, especially near border crossings, could make dog chow an even better investment..

CaptainDankness

I am sure that many canna-friendly homes would welcome adopting a redundant drug-sniffing dog....

It would be real handy to have a dog to find your stash when you misplace/loose it, and that happens quite often.

Lol, for real I almost wanted to train a dog to sniff out weed I used to always hide my bag somewhere nobody would look including myself. Lol, of course now I always have a jars a bit harder to misplace them though one time I found a full jar of Mango Haze wasn't even looking for weed. Lol

I would definitely take one though, but even if they do kill 200 dogs that's not much different than the shelters do as is. Certainly not a good reason to keep weed illegal really sounds like a bunch of bullshit to get people against legalization, I've met 2 people with retired drug dogs and they were pretty good dogs.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Take that boy for a stroll in the aftermath of a festival...and stock up! You could wipe some oil from a particular strain on your car keys and another on the house keys and train the doggie to each..and never loose your keys ever again! The ideas and reasons for a stoner to own one of these dogs are endless! It will be such poetic justice to have them looked after and loved by those they were innocently used to put away.. :) There will be more than enough willing to adopt them I am sure!

mowood3479

Veteran
Par for the course.. I’d blame the dogs for involving themselves with the gestapo but I doubt they had a choice.
More typical pig bullshit

Maple_Flail

so.. as an outsider looking in...

so the dogs will become 20% less effective based on their training, yet the majority of what they are trained for is still illegal. so technically they will still be 100% effective just their handlers now will need a brain in their head to make decisions rather than just keying off the dog.

So they must kill the dogs? Dogs can learn new tricks. slight modification to signaling behaviour, likely require a few weeks in a training course. Let them signal it, just train them to signal that smell differently.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good, are they looking for volunteers to euthanize them?

M

moose eater

Years ago up here, there was an out-cry re. wolf trapping/aerial shooting.

An Outside group in the Lower-48 was organizing a boycott of Alaska tourism over wolf hunting and trapping (I want to say that it involved same-day as airborne exceptions for wolf eradication, but I can't say that for sure).

Anyway, the group made T-shirts, ran ads, etc., with the primary image and message being a guy in a black ski mask, and dark clothing, holding a wolf in a headlock with a revolver to its head, and the Caption reading, "Visit Alaska this Summer, or the Wolf gets it."

Probably a take-off on the Nat'l Lampoon cover.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dirty bastards,,,,,
what a wannanbe mainiputive move,,,,,
take to the streets in the uk if they topped so many dogs,,,,
uks weird like that,,,,people would explode over that and ignore other things,,,, s2

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Nobody messes with our 4 legged Fur Balls in the USA... its the only one thing that unites everyone togethor

nickman

Veteran
What a bullshit ass threat... it’s just so lame that they would even stoop that low as to say that they’d kill 200 dogs... wow.!.

You know people won’t let that happen though, I love dogs. Even if it was a cop dog...

What will they try next...!!!...

M

moose eater

When Public Safety threatened to take the Alaska drug pups out of service, they made sure to talk publicly about the amount of money each dog costs, plus the additional training cost for the dogs and handlers..

To date, I know of no dogs up here that were actually taken out of service, though I can't state definitively that none were. Just that I haven't heard or read of it. And if it had happened as they threatened it would, I suspect it would have resulted in a follow-up story.

I also can't recall reading or seeing that euthanizing was ever threatened here as the probable outcome, though I recall them harping on not being able to use their current dogs, thus taking them out of service.

And frankly, knowing how well bonded a handler and their dog is, I highly doubt that having the dogs put down would fly with their police/Trooper dog handlers. I suspect they'd end up with some serious morale issues if the Officers' best friends were offed simply because they couldn't be used for fear of hitting on some legal weed.