What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What strain for a guerilla grow in a cornfield?

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
e fellow dane just reported to me that he saw the first harvested corn field yesterday.
that is bad as i have only harvested 1/7 so far, and theres some of them where seeds arent mature yet.

any one also seen corn fields harvested?

one week ago when i was inspecting a field of leb27, where the seeds seemed to need atleast 2 more weeks, i was relaxed cause the corn cubs looked like they needed at least 2 more weeks also, but as the corn here is most for cattle feed the farmers might not care if the corn cubs are mature or not.

any input about this is welcome no matter from where in the world the experiences is from.

LazLo

Article on corn harvest. Explains to some extent why food prices are soaring. And the farmer isn't at the high end of those profits!

Seed and feed corn are harvested generally in the midwest USA at end of Oct. It can go on into early Dec after hunting seasons are closed.

Call the local farm bureau for harvest forecasts. They know the who and when and where. They compile records to benefit their members.

Eldorado, Ill. -
The Joe Bramlet family took a break from corn harvesting Monday to settle down for lunch and conversation with employees of Farm Credit Services.

The Meals in the Fields program is a chance for the agency to bring awareness about farm safety during the toughest time of the farmers' season.

"The main thing is everybody is working long hours. As the harvest season progresses on everybody gets tired. This is a time to remind people to be safe," Todd Hortin of FCS said.

Large, slow moving combines and other equipment on roadways is a necessity of the farm season that can pose a hazard if people are not paying attention. Motorists unaccustomed to farm country may lose patience and pass recklessly. Farmers need to keep aware of all traffic around their machines, Hortin said.

The harvest season, especially the corn harvest, may be last longer than usual this year.
"The big comment is a lot of corn is blown down from Hurricane Ike. That could potentially slow the harvest a little bit," Hortin said.

The blown down corn can often still be harvested with wheel attachments added onto a combine. Often farmers will not know the extent of the corn damage until making one pass over the field and then examining the corn still standing.

Bramlet's field on Union Grove Road between Wasson and Eldorado was not affected much by the hurricane wind, but he knows a lot of farmers whose fields were.

This year is one to remember especially for grain producers scratching their heads about how the natural forces will impact their production. There have been earthquakes, an ice storm, a massive flood and a destructive hurricane. Aside from the wind damage, the natural forces have been excellent for corn. The large amount of precipitation in early spring gave the corn a good head start.

"We have an excellent corn crop, but the lack of rain in the last few weeks have our soybeans not at their potential," Bramlet said.

Bramlet and his workers will be harvesting 850 acres of corn and 900 acres of beans. His remaining 180 acres is wheat.

Bramlet said one of the most memorable years for him was 2002.

"In 2002 there was no rain early or late. It took several years to get over the drought," he said.

Right now prices for grain are high, but so are fuel prices.

"Fertilizer prices are more than double what they were this last year," Bramlet said.

"It mostly revolves around the price of oil and gas."

Bramlet's combine holds 200 gallons of diesel and diesel is around $4.50 a gallon.

"It costs $1,000 just to fill the combine up," Bramlet said.

Those 200 gallons last about two days or a day and a half, he said. Bramlet's harvest will take six to eight weeks depending on the weather, he said.

Bramlet has been harvesting corn for a couple of days and will start in on the beans in a few days.

According to information from the FCS there were 715 deaths and 80,000 disabling injuries attributed to agriculture last year. The FCS recommends farmers take breaks and drink plenty of water.

This is the 65th year of National Farm Safety and Health Week, a proclamation signed by Franklin Roosevelt in 1944. The FCS began the Meals In the Fields tradition in 2001. Each of the 21 branch offices in Illinois select a different farm every day of the week to provide with a meal.

The Farm Credit Service is a farmer owned and directed agricultural lending cooperative with $2.3 billion in assets. The agency provides financing and crop insurance expertise to the 8,000 farmers, agribusinesses and rural landowners in the southern 60 counties of Illinois.

SFC

Two different fields with combines in them in central Mi yesterday. Luckily not any of mine. Still lots of beans and Beats to be harvested,and most of the corn is still quite green. Be watchful , but don't panic yet. Them buds will be swelling like crazy over the next week, or two.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First loss of the year!
i was out harvesting some of the corn spots to night when i came to a plain dirt field that was filled with corn and some of my canna just a few days ago.

harvested a field with both Royal Danes and ErocketxDP and a field of Danish PAssion but a field containing apr 20 ErocketxDP was lost

ofcourse im a little sad that i lost that harvest but im more concerned that the farmer saw and recognized them and will be more watchful nest year

ive kept the rest of the corn fields where i have canna in under observation and this is the only one that has been harvested so far.
i now only need to harvest my last field with Lebanon 27 before im in safe and only have a hell of a trimming left.
ill keep my fingers crossed for the last field and hope to harvest it tomorrow night if it doesnt rain to much.

i pull the plants up with roots
that way they can stay fresh for a few days in a bucket of water and i can transplant some of them back into a pot with dirt if seeds need maturing some more and hopefully they will survive and give the seeds the last push.

Vol Funk

Is it generally bad idea to grow weed in cornfield where there's a lot of flyovers going on?

I read here that flyovers are jokes.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aside from my garden ive had 7 smaller spots in corn and 1 spot with a later flowering _Afghan in a forrest

i prefer corn fields over forest as a perfect guerrilla suitable growing style
better and more airy and fertilized dirt than in forests and the chance of getting them ripped or busted is much lower ( at least in my area)

corn fields rocks for growing guerrilla canna!

Hindu Killer said:
Fly overs are very dangerous anywhere VF! Its just depends on if they fly your field.

its not so widespread yet here in Denmark to grow in corn so i dont think the cops are looking there much yet
but if it gets more popular and the amount rises they might start more flyovers.

ive secured the last plants from the corn.
unfortunately i couldn't find my camera at that time so theres no pre harvest pix, but ill take some shots before trimming.

all the spots have been seed grows and i plan to put some of the danish strains on Seedbay as soon as they have finished setting up my seller account, and ive just got confirmed that they have started the process
so later on there will be danish classic strains and crosses available on Seedbay so ppl can get them outside Denmark and Europe also
they will be sold at very fair prices as long as stocks lasts

first ones to appear will be those from the corn:

Danish Passion
Early Dane ( very sticky and similar to RD but earlier)
Erocket x Danish passion f3
Lebanon27
Royal Dane
Royal Dane x Erocket x Danish f2
Thyphoon

later there will be
Afghan ( Nordic outdoor) from the forest spot

they will be at the bay in a few weeks when they have been dried, sorted and germ tested and sold at very reasonable prices and also as freebies

ill sort the pix ive taken in the corn for a more diary aproach later
right now i have a hell of a workload to secure and handle it all

Last edited:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
beside that pre harvested spot i had my erocketxdp in that where lost due to early harvest about a week ago, it wasnt until to day i saw the farmers start to harvest their corn fields
saw a big corn field on my way back from work in the process of being harvested and there was many tractors on the roads so i think the main corn harvest time has begun here.
the rest of the fields that i passed on my way home was still there but i think they will be gone in the next few days if the weather stays dry.

Barefoot

ICMag Donor
phrank said:
Please don't laugh, but do you plant at night or during the day? It seems that you'd be too visible planting during the day if the corn was knee high or shorter..?

phrank

Barefoot said:
This would be very interesting! plz answer the question from phrank.....

I also want to know how you dung your plants in the cornfield. I bought some compact fertilizer (for veggie guano peru and flower bat guano).
What about soil mixes? Only perlite or also e.g. organic stuff?

Can somebody answer these questions?

If anybody have some pics from plants in cornfields please post them!

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Barefoot said:
Can somebody answer these questions?

If anybody have some pics from plants in cornfields please post them!

theres a lot of good canna corn pix earlier in this thread but heres some again
Farmaz and others also had some really nice ones

yes i worked only at night when i planted them out
they where grown in pots and then transported out to the fields at night
i was later out than planned but i still had to work at night and hit the dirt when cars where passing etc

normally u can start the plants in pots here when the frost is gone ( medium April) but dont put them out in the field until medium June because of the farmers using weedkiller and it has to be gone first
still scrape of the topsoil around the plants to avoid damages from weedkiller left overs.

just make sure the strain or cross you choose is ready before the farmer harvest the corn
here its start of November

heres a few corn canna pics from various of the 7 small spots where i grew canna in the corn this year
all where seed grows so i can harvest a lot of seeds for using in crosses and corn grows in the future

Royal Danes in corn
img0234xuq1.jpg

img0237xej8.jpg

Thyphoon ( local danish sativa dominated land race)
img0256xln8.jpg

leb27 in corn
img0304sn2.jpg

Royal Danes and Erocket x Danish passion f2 for a cross im making special dedicated for a potent sticky corn suited strain
RD on the left ( females) and ERxDP on the right males and females
img0317wp8.jpg

No use to add soilmix etc as the soil is already prepared by the farmer
but u can add a little fertilizer if u like
as it can be seen on some of the pix i added a little liquid and dry pellet fertilizer.

i had 7 small spots in corn this year and one later afghan in a forest
unless i really need to grow late strains i will go for the corn anytime

good soil and a lot less change to get detected
i lost one spot in soil as the farmer harvested one week earlier than all the other farmers but i had 6 spots harvested with seeds successfully
still waiting the the outdoor afghans in the forest spot though

Last edited:

Barefoot

ICMag Donor
Gunnarguchi said:
theres a lot of good canna corn pix earlier in this thread but heres some again
Farmaz and others also had some really nice ones

I know but I love these sort of pics... :headbange

Gunnarguchi said:
normally u can start the plants in pots here when the frost is gone ( medium April) but dont put them out in the field until medium June because of the farmers using weedkiller and it has to be gone first
still scrape of the topsoil around the plants to avoid damages from weedkiller left overs.

just make sure the strain or cross you choose is ready before the farmer harvest the corn
here its start of November

At first big thank to you, Gunnarguchi!

I know...I'll but them out in late june. Want to grow Easy Sativa and Purple Power from FS. I grew Easy Sativa '06 and she was a big yiedler....I only had one plant but the yield was ca. 350g-400g. The weed was also very good: Light smoke and sweet taste!
So I just want to add some more FS strains in my sortiment. I choose PP......I hope she will be as good as the Easy Sativa...we'll see...

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i made a spell error
i ment in the middle of May for planting outside to avoid frost here...

i guess most strains would be suited for corn grows as long as they are finished by end September/start November

here most corn fields are harvested now but theres still a few left, but to be sure not too loose the harvest i would use end of September latest for the finish

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Barefoot said:
Thx all!

Another question: How tall is the corn when you put the plants outside?

where im at its frost free mid May but we cant plant out in the corn until mid June because they use weedkiller here.
when planting out you have to scrape some of the top soil off to prevent the plant coming into contact with weedkiller remains.

this year i had much on my hands at that time so they plants went out in corn a little later but corn is more than knee high at that time if i remember correctly.
i had to hit the ground belly down some times when cars where passing

if i had planted out mid june as planned and didnt have problems with over fertilization ( i used dry pellets and we had some heavy rains for days just after) the plants would have been bigger and kept about the same size as the corn.

dont pre gow them to big before planting out or they will stand out from the corn and be visibel.

my suggestion would be to grow them outside one month in pots from mid May to mid June then they should have the same size as the corn and will have no problems competing with it.

this year i removed some corn to give the plants more space but i think the holes in the fields at harvest and also a lost a field to a farmer harvesting earlier than planned, so ill be a little more cautious next year.
no reason to push the barrel so ill just grow between rows and make up for it in numbers

if the farmers looses too much corn and has too many "empty" spots in their fields at harvest they might start be more alert next season

corn is a genius, safe and easy way of guerrilla farming compared to the shitty soil in forests so i wanna let it remain that way without attraction too much attention from the local farmers

ps
some US growers have reported the corn not being harvest there until mid October but here you have to harvest end September or at the very start of October to save our crop before the farmers harvest it.

M

mexilandrace

I don't have the balls for cornfield grows, I want to every year and every year I puss out.