What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medicann question...(thinking about getting a card)

phattybudz

For the past 2 years I've had pain in my lower back, and in joints (knees,ankles,big toe,) and smoking seems to help with the pain and anxiety. I've been to multiple doctors who have told me rest and ice (which i have done,) and physical therapy (which I can't afford...) I've been to multiple chiropractors also, and they didnt help much. Im only 21, so this whole situation is also really depressing because i cant play sports or even walk withou pain right now. I also have no health insurance (not that it would help me much in this fucking country.) I plan on seeing this rolfer a friend recommended but at this point I'm skeptical about any kind of doctors...

So for financial and medical reasons I've started a grow, and I would feel a lot less anxious about it if I had a card.

I'm worried that I might go in for an appointment and be told that my condition isn't serious enough or something, and that I'll shell out $180 for nothing. Will they give me a card for my legitimate reasons, or should I tell them something else?

sheminah

Hey Phattybudz,

I used to work for a prescribing doctor. Each one is different, but the last time I had an experience with Medicann, what they were looking for is that you had seen a doctor previously for the condition for which you are seeking a "medical recommendation" (this is what they call the prescription). Now, just so you know, what they will ask you for is the name and phone number of the doctor. They never call the doctor...this is just to cover their ass...liability, ya know? One of the reasons they want to know if you have seen a doctor is to make sure that the condition isn't more serious, requiring additional medical attention. For instance, you go in for lower back pain...they want to make sure that you don't have anything that you would just cover up with herb, but really need an x-ray to rule out a more serious condition.

One of the things that they are good about is if you have been in a car accident or had a sports injury that has resulted in chronic pain. You let them know that you went to the hospital or saw a doctor (even if it was years and years ago) and didn't require any additional treatment, but you find herb helps with the pain. In this case, they would almost always write a "medical recommendation." Sounds to me like you would qualify with flying colors...seriously...you should have no problem. A lot of people are scared that they will call your doctor...personally, that doesn't bother me a bit, as I tell all of my doctors. In fact, I was able to get off of 5 prescriptions medications (that the Western doctors told me I would be on all of my life) by using medical marijuana. The side effects of the prescriptions were diabolical, and the herb has truly saved my life!! But again, in case you are worried that they call doctors, I assure you that they don't...you can even ask them before providing the information. When I worked for the doctor, frankly a lot of people gave false information because they were paranoid about it.

Also, for those of you who are not qualified, the clinics will usually give you time to go to a medial doctor and get back with them without an additional fee if they deny you....or they give you, say a three month recommendation...and once you see a doctor and come back, they will extend it through the year (usually with no extra fee.) In my experience, not many people were denied. But there were a few that had never ever been to a doctor...so they would leave the clinic...go to a medical doctor...tell the doctor they were experiencing migraines or whatever....the doctor would prescribe medications (filled with side-effects) and then they would go back to the clinic and the doctor would give the medical recommendation. And that is how it's done.

On a personal note, I would also recommend acupuncture. I have several medical conditions, some of which are extremely painful including fibromyalgia, and acupuncture has helped me tremendously. Sometimes you have to go to a couple of acupuncturist before you find the right one. The first one I went to didn't do much...the next one damn-near raised me from the dead and gave me a new lease on life.

Hope that info helps. It has been a while since I worked for the doctor, but don't think much has changed. Don't be afraid to ask direct questions on the phone. If they can answer them, they will. They are generally good people and want to help you.

Peace and all things Chocolate,
~Sheminah~

Last edited:

Jon

phattybudz said:
For the past 2 years I've had pain in my lower back, and in joints (knees,ankles,big toe,) and smoking seems to help with the pain and anxiety. I've been to multiple doctors who have told me rest and ice (which i have done,) and physical therapy (which I can't afford...) I've been to multiple chiropractors also, and they didnt help much. Im only 21, so this whole situation is also really depressing because i cant play sports or even walk withou pain right now. I also have no health insurance (not that it would help me much in this fucking country.) I plan on seeing this rolfer a friend recommended but at this point I'm skeptical about any kind of doctors...

So for financial and medical reasons I've started a grow, and I would feel a lot less anxious about it if I had a card.

I'm worried that I might go in for an appointment and be told that my condition isn't serious enough or something, and that I'll shell out $180 for nothing. Will they give me a card for my legitimate reasons, or should I tell them something else?

Medicann will give you a card for anything as long as you bring paperwork from y our primary that says you're being treated for that reason. $180 is too much! Last year it was $130. I have to renew next month hope i dont have to pay 180!

acidblue

Medicann is awsome!
I went their without any paper work, just told them about my back pain,
and he gave me a 3 month recommendation and told me if i come back with
a doctors note, he'd increase it to one year-which they did!
I went to a chiropractor and had him write up his diagnosis.
Told him it was for my 'primary care physician' didn't say it was for medicann.
Went back to medicann with the note and all was good!

phattybudz

Cool thanks guys this makes me feel better about doing it...I found paperwork for my knee and toe but not my back, I'm hoping they'll take my word on that and give me a year recommendation...

sheminah

phattybudz said:
Cool thanks guys this makes me feel better about doing it...I found paperwork for my knee and toe but not my back, I'm hoping they'll take my word on that and give me a year recommendation...

You are set phattybudz...all you need is one qualifying condition. Let us know how it goes!

Peace,
~Sheminah~

MPL

MediCann was quick, inexpensive and easy. I'd suggest bringing medical records.

By the way, I only paid $80 for the visit. Military personnel get a discount.

irconfused

I have virtually the same exact situation and getting a recomendation was no sweat. Like others have said get a hold of your med records and keep them on hand just in case. Also since you do have a completely legitimate condition, try and stay away from some of the more sketchy docs out there.

The peace of mind that comes with being able to legally grow weed is indescribable.

Best of luck with getting legal, and make sure to watch those plant numbers. If necessary find someone to caretake for and you should easily be able to offset all your costs.

phattybudz

I just made an appointment... They had no availability for a month! So April 26th is the day... and they told me it would be $135 which is a little better than $180 :jump:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I got mine at Medi-Mar, and I don't know if all of them have this or not...but they have a block to check that says you have chosen not to see a Medical Dr, and are Self-Treating-- So I didn't need any Records--
$150 for 1st time, $80 for Renewal--

phattybudz

Got my card with 0 problems for $135, and I went to a dispensary... got some dank and some brownies. I feel very relieved knowing I've got a card now. :jump:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Phatty just go ot hte Dr that was treatiing your back and ask for copies of your records which you will get. Some ask for payment for copies some don't

NorCalChron

green relief does evaluations for 90 and its right above one of the dopest clubs in sf off of Sutter. no paper work needed just an id and cash. :wave:

Krakatoa

Oh man, I went to Medicann the other day at their new Concord location.

I filled out the paperwork, and out comes this ancient Indian doctor named Rajan Toke, M.D. I'm not kidding, the guy at Medicann is named Dr. Toke!!!

Anyway, this guy was older than dirt. He could barely stand up and his hands were shaking and his eyes were all glassy and the guy was just a mess.

I mean, what's next? Are they going to wheel out some 90-year-old doctor who needs help signing the documents?

Anyway, I got my recommendation for $80, so I'm good for a year. Oh, one more thing: they REALLY need to unplug all those air fresheners in their Concord office. Everything smiled like bile or puke or something just horrible. I still smelled it when I got home and I realized all their papers smelled like that hideous air freshener.

Between the broken-down doctor and the overdose of air freshener, Medicann in Concord is not making the best impression. If one of those hidden-camera reporters got a look at this doctor, it would look very bad for Medicann...

sophisto

MEdimar is good and reliable....cheapest renewals any where here in SD county or in LA...They have two locations....First time $125 renewals, $75.

Phattybudz in combination with the medical mj, you should seriously consider doing yoga...I know I know,.. Start slow, you'd be amazed at how little you ache and how much more you can do when you are more flexible and limber.....It is a philosophy as well that can life changing.....

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Me and my girl both go through medicann too, seems the only fucked up part is that the ocbc wont fuck with medicann patients so you wont be able to go into a few clubs in oakland, but the only spot I go in oaktown is harborside and they dont trip so its all good.

lighterfuel

Medicann is a very good clinic. They are busy these days. I waited to long to set the renewal appointment (a week before expiration) and ended up with a expired recommendation for about 2 weeks. I called on a daily basis for a walk in appointment and they finally got me in. The scheduled appointment would had taken about 4 weeks. The receptionist told me that they are supposed to see 20 patients a day, but 30 are booked. There has been a huge increase in patients seeking 215 recommendations over the past year. So, make sure appointments are scheduled well in advance! They mail you an ID Card a week or so later, which is very cool. No need to cary folded up paper in your wallet. The card has a verification phone number and a web address for verificaion as well. Something like $140 for first visit and the renewal was $95.