What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WTF - No trichs at 77 days?!

G

Strain: NL x Shitty bagseed hermi crap

As an experiment I decided to grow one of these seeds out. It began with a wonderful NorthernLights that was pollinated by a shitty bag-seed hermi (one of my first grows)... so figured I'd see what that horrible combo would give me.

This thing has the look of an indica but has been flowering for 77 days now and this is what I got

VERY thick/dense buds, but I'm seeing like hardly any trich's at all! Rather shocking that it's so bare, never saw anything like it... Granted, I wasnt expecting it to be a wonderful harvest but this is sad...

...and trust me, zooming in doesnt reveal any more trichs than seen in this pic. Guess I'll just let her go until she either dies off, hermi's out (expected) or actually develops into something smokeable!

G

I am guessing that that bagseed was a long flowering sativa. I see no triches on the leaves, but the buds look okay, she looks to have some time left, and sativas usually pack on the triches in the last 2-3 weeks, so she may frost up on you yet. What was the flowering time on the NL? Was it a sativa pheno of the NL? I have seen lots of sativas look like you plant, with no leaf triches and not a lot of resin on the buds taht blew your head off when they were finally finished even though they didn't pack on all that much more resin before harvest. If you have the patience to keep waiting, she could be a very nice smoke, time will tell, but I'd definitely keep her going.

Lemon

Dry it, smoke it, see what you think. There is actually no proven corrolation between tricome production and potency. A majority of the plants resin is internal - tricomes are just a little understood externalization of this resin via glands on the plants surface.

I've smoked stuff dripping white in crystal cover that didn't even get me high.

namo420

i was just gonna say what british hempir said.....it looks like a long flowering sativa,and so what,you think that bud isnt gonna get ya high?....looks nice to me man

bluebublelove

I, for one believe you could have a champ on your hands, I had a sativa bagseed I had 3 clones of going outdoors and I pulled on of them cause its size was becoming a security issue and let the other two flower to almost 90 days and it was some seriously potent herb....I also agree with what lemon said, I have had some smoke that was crystal laden but had no punch.

Truth

Lemon said:
Dry it, smoke it, see what you think. There is actually no proven corrolation between tricome production and potency. A majority of the plants resin is internal - tricomes are just a little understood externalization of this resin via glands on the plants surface.

I've smoked stuff dripping white in crystal cover that didn't even get me high.

Actually I believe the majority of cannaboids are within the glands, on the exterior of the plant. have you ever smoked kiffed bud? not anywhere near as potent as non kiffed, just an example.

Friend used to grow some bad ass thai that went hermi on him even in perfect conditions.

buds look like they're going to get that sativa grease in the next few weeks. dont look done to me.

G

Cutting it early will mean you have wasted you time, if you have waited 77 days, whats another few weeks? Many people miss out on the delights of a sativa high because they won't wait longer than the 8-9 weeks of most commercial indica doms.

you cant polish a terd my friend!!!

That is useless advice, the plant looks good, just not mature, sativas pack on their resin right at the end of flowering, usually in the last 2-3 weeks. Why do you say it's a turd? Is it because it hasn't finished in 8 weeks and isn't a frost indica? Go do some research into sativa dom strains, just calling something a turd from a point of ignorance helps no-one.

Lemon

Truth said:
Actually I believe the majority of cannaboids are within the glands, on the exterior of the plant. have you ever smoked kiffed bud? not anywhere near as potent as non kiffed, just an example.

Any weed that has been kiefed will certainly be less potent than if that same weed were not. My point is not that tricomes do not contain canabinoids or that all of them are in internal resins - that's silly. My point is that surface tricome production on a plant may not nesicarily corrolate to its final potency. It's a highly subjective topic - I believe that certain strains have a higher capacity for tricome production than others, without it nesicarily being directly related to thier final potency. You don't share this view. Either way, all I've said is that its not proven one way or another - it's all subjective (as this discussion attests to) - so perhaps he might give the plant an opportunity.

Last edited:
has more to do with why the plant was cultivated by man. some pot was developed to make hash, those plants have big tric heads so its easier to filter them. i've smoked the best indica's in the world with alot of tric coverage but they wont screw my mind like a greasy sativa with small trics does. alot has to do with the cdb/thc ratio or whatever.

blacklb937

yup

yup

alot has to do with where the shitbag originated... it probly a low coast.. sativa... or you could have your self the problem of not haveing a great controled enviroment and your plants stressen due to light...

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
I agree with these guys..let her go longer, u may be very pleasantly surprised!!!Ive had numerous NL sativa phenos, and they all shouldve gone longer than they did cause they looked like yours!!!Good smoke, nonetheless. Let her go a few more weeks, and u may get some trippy sativa buzz, the best there is!!! Lately, Im beginning to realize I like sativas more than Indicas, mostly cause I smoke all day llong!!! Peaceand good luck.

- Z

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Some Sats go 100+ days and that one you have there is still a freshie, still some time to go.

How much light are you running?

G

looks good so far, just let her go a bit longer before ya waste all your time by choppin way too early

G

Thanks for all the words of support! I have most certainly let her go, though I began flushing about the time I started this thread and am not giving her any food. She's just sitting in the corner watching the rest of the plants resin up...stingy girl.

Surprised she's not more yellow though... must have really been storing up the nutes in her leaves or something....cause she's still drinking water!

Here she is at
FLOWER: 87days
FLUSHING: 19 days

I'll snap some better pics of her tmrw during light time.... she is frosting up but nothing compared to the Blue Mystic I had next to her...