What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my medium is too heavy?

Scorp1on

Hey guys ive been growing inside for 10year+ with very good resullt, but outdoor...meh

My plants are very healthy, but they dont grow as fast as inside and bud are smaller...same medium, same genetic, same feeding. I think the problem is the medium is too heavy and takes too long to dry, but the temperature outside is hotter than inside plus there's more wind....i dont get it enlightme

im using promix hp with added compost, myke, and using pure blend pro line up

Betterhaff

Veteran
Are you in pots? Depending on the size and exposure (and color), if the roots get too hot it can slow up growth and affect yield.

CannaFunk

I think you answered your own question already.

1. Indoor Genetic may not be loving the outside as much as you think it would, or atleast your terrior.

2. Wind load will decrease the growth, overall size, and yield. It can produce a different resin profile and change the aromatics though.

3. Strength of cuttings? Are you cloning off an indoor mother? Perhaps try getting your mother or a new cut to replace her outside with some supplemental to keep her from flowering. The cuts off of a mother regenerated from sunlight will be stronger than indoor.

4. Veg the plants a bit longer

St. Phatty

Hey guys ive been growing inside for 10year+ with very good resullt, but outdoor...meh

Outside the plants can usually sink their roots into an infinite amount of soil.

The roots are also free to keep growing. The part where I go out on a limb - there is something about the roots growing that makes the plant happy, for example secreting hormones that we see the effect of, in the buds.

I have outdoor plants in 32 gallon pots and they are pretty happy. I would like them to be in the ground, but it would mean major deer fencing, high voltage, etc.

I suggest an experiment - same plant, outdoors.
One in 5 gallon pot. One in 11 gallon pot. One in 20 gallon pot (often sell for $20, you can find them for $8). One in the ground.

See which ones are happiest.

I grew indoors for 20+ years. I like having the sun instead of the power bill.

Scorp1on

Are you in pots? Depending on the size and exposure (and color), if the roots get too hot it can slow up growth and affect yield.

yeah im 15gal pot

How many hours of sun does your spot get a day?

now about 12hrs but in the summer around 16hrs

I think you answered your own question already.

1. Indoor Genetic may not be loving the outside as much as you think it would, or atleast your terrior.

2. Wind load will decrease the growth, overall size, and yield. It can produce a different resin profile and change the aromatics though.

3. Strength of cuttings? Are you cloning off an indoor mother? Perhaps try getting your mother or a new cut to replace her outside with some supplemental to keep her from flowering. The cuts off of a mother regenerated from sunlight will be stronger than indoor.

4. Veg the plants a bit longer

well im growing 6 different strain, and there's not alot of wind but there's more than inside...so usuallymy pot should dry faster? but its not the case...also they've been veged for over 1month...

maybe try adding extra perlite next season

will do that next year thx

Outside the plants can usually sink their roots into an infinite amount of soil.

The roots are also free to keep growing. The part where I go out on a limb - there is something about the roots growing that makes the plant happy, for example secreting hormones that we see the effect of, in the buds.

I have outdoor plants in 32 gallon pots and they are pretty happy. I would like them to be in the ground, but it would mean major deer fencing, high voltage, etc.

I suggest an experiment - same plant, outdoors.
One in 5 gallon pot. One in 11 gallon pot. One in 20 gallon pot (often sell for $20, you can find them for $8). One in the ground.

See which ones are happiest.

I grew indoors for 20+ years. I like having the sun instead of the power bill.

maybe Ill try next year, but cant grow in directly in the soil here...too risky

St. Phatty

maybe Ill try next year, but cant grow in directly in the soil here...too risky

I can relate to that.

My 4 32 gallon pots are on wheels (rolling garbage can.) Now that we are in the last trimester of pregnancy/ flowering, it is basically "grow-rip" season. So the plants are moved and rolled indoors whenever there's no one to watch them.

The wind is GOOD for your plants. OK maybe not in Puerto Rico, but 10, 20 mph winds = forced ventilation.

I suspect that because your plants were in pots your soil temps may have gotten too high and your roots got baked. That is REAL easy to do.

My pots are black and I got weary this summer, bucket watering every 2 hours to water-cool the roots. Of course, there is a side benefit to that, because it not only cools the roots. It also pulls fresh oxygen down around the roots. The plants certainly loved the treatment.

I think you might be real close. I suggest watering in the morning, and then sticking your hand in the soil around 2 PM, after the plants have been sitting in the sun for maybe 4 hours.

If the soil un-pleasantly warm, you have part of the answer.

PDX Dopesmoker

Try and find some genetics that work better in your outdoor environment, if you find the magic seed you might be able to get 10 or more ounces from a 15 gallon pot. Does any one of your six strains do better than the others with respect to outdoor performance?
If you have pictures of your outdoor bud vs your indoor that also might help someone figure out a way to get you some extra bud next summer

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Just in case of confusion i meant how many hours a day of direct sunlight does your garden get? Not how many hours a day is the sun up in your area.

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you have a local source, try adding lava rocks, it adds to the weight sure but it is a great way to add porosity and pockets to your soil, 5-10% sand helps re wet dry soil (it makes it easier to re wet with sand versus perlite) but also makes the container heavier. If you don't mind extra watering or are able to hook up drippers on a timer I suggest going on the lighter side because you can always add water, especially if your pots are getting warm and cooking the roots watering in the mid day with drippers or several time in the midday/afternoon will help keep them nice and cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts