What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

changing my 600w hps to led..

Muleskinner

Veteran
More of the electricity in LED's is converted to visible light, while HPS converts more of the electricity into infrared heat. Does the LED light convert back to heat when it hits a surface? I don't think so. 600w of LED definitely feels a lot cooler than 600w of HPS.

I think thermodynamics is satisfied because the LED is converting the electricity to visible light instead of infrared heat. It has been about 30 years since I took thermodynamics in engineering school!

Here we go, here is an excellent graph of the difference - from the Philips Greenpower LED specs -

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...row_Lights_Depot-7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1486969487

these lights are some of the most efficient but need 220v:
https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/...cts/philips-greenpower-led-toplighting-module

More of the electricity in LED's is converted to visible light, while HPS converts more of the electricity into infrared heat. Does the LED light convert back to heat when it hits a surface? I don't think so. 600w of LED definitely feels a lot cooler than 600w of HPS.

I think thermodynamics is satisfied because the LED is converting the electricity to visible light instead of infrared heat. It has been about 30 years since I took thermodynamics in engineering school!

Here we go, here is an excellent graph of the difference - from the Philips Greenpower LED specs -

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...row_Lights_Depot-7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1486969487

these lights are some of the most efficient but need 220v:
https://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/...cts/philips-greenpower-led-toplighting-module

47% is not bad efficiency for led but not the most efficient by a quite a bit. I'm not up on the very latest but last year cxb's running low amperage were @63%.

Do i have this right?
By your logic a 1000watt heater produces the same amount of heat as 1000 watt LED.

6 months later....

Wow, im really late with a reply...

Buy, yes. That is what im saying.

If you have a 1000w heater, it will produce the same quantity of heat as an LED system that consumes 1000W of electrical power.

This holds true for most electrical devices except for things like air conditioners or heat pumps. These devices use electric power to actually move heat from one side of the system to the other. But, even still. If you put an AC unit in a room where it exhausts in to the same room as it is cooling, and it draws 1000W of electrical power, it would heat the room the same as the LED system or Heater mentioned above.

B

bigganjabud

I preferred the yield I got from led + hps but I'm playing with things in my space at the moment

Scorp1on

sorry guys Ive been away for awhile...I havent made the switch yet...still not sure...im running 9x600 digital ballast and ive got a spare one too in case one fail...so I think its a bit pointless to buy new stuff

B

bigganjabud

Yeah I've just bought another digital with a new adjustawing so I'm basically gonna buy a new led next few weeks and use them in tandem with the hps

Lovely jubblie

mcnasty

I see you guys pretty much made up your mind. CMH IS great, I rock 2 315s in a 4x4 and its nearly ready to harvest for the first run. I'm impressed. My LED lights use luminus chips @ 728w per and are much cooler in the tent than my 2 315s. I stole desert hydros idea (if you are the same dude from roll it up) and build my lights into magnum hoods. Anyway I just wanted to drop a tip of checking out the growtube round tables most recent video on youtube, They go into what LEDS are worth buying, where they all stand ect ect. Really good show for helping choose an led. Also, its totally worth switching to LED from e ballasts. You'll gain tons. Brand new eballast with brand new bulbs sitting at what 1.3 umol/j? cobs at 1.9 and something like the chilled led @ like 2.4? thats quite a bit of light added to the table for the girls..

So you get 600gr out of your 315w cmh ? i would love to see that :biggrin:

No man... We go more for quality than quantity. I didn't get 1g/W from HPS.

I'm just saying that I have both. And I have a few years experience running both at the same time. Comparing the yield of the 315 to the 600 HPS is close.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Here is food for thought: Your electrical bill will decrease while your yield will increase. Hence, efficiency via more plant-usable light and less heat creation. Plants win, grower wins. Checkmate.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts