What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MotherLode Gardens 2017

therevverend

Veteran
Hoping you're happy harvesting and the fire situation isn't hot in your area. Keep getting bad news from Mendocino north of Ukiah. A lot of good people are losing everything. Stay safe!

norcaltransplnt

As far as broad mites idk if anyone's mentioned it but all of people here in lake co have had good success with pro ag. I read a little on it they said they can't build a tolerance because it suffocates them ( if memory serves correctly) good organic product

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hoping you're happy harvesting and the fire situation isn't hot in your area. Keep getting bad news from Mendocino north of Ukiah. A lot of good people are losing everything. Stay safe!
we are in the middle of harvest, big plants coming down all day and night. The drying room is almost full, trimmers have arrived, the farm is busy busy busy , kind of nice after such a long quiet summer.

Lately been focusing on keeping the drying room at a good temperature and humidity. The weather lately has been really hot and dry so we installed an air conditioner and are running a humidifier, although as the drying room fills up the humidity is increasing naturally and soon we will have to switch to a dehumidifier to keep the room in the range i like , around 60 degrees F , 50% humidity. Got a ton of box fans lining the walls as well for circulation.

We are freezing some of our flowers this year instead of drying/trimming.. Using mostly the plants from the native soil plot, as the buds don't look quite as visually appealing as the big plants in the mounds. They will be made into terp sauce or live rosin. I can't wait...

Fortunately there are no fires nearby at the moment, but this year has been one of the worst fire years in recent memory. for that reason alone I will be glad when the rainy season comes.

i noticed you posted pics of harvesting at night, is there a reason behind doing it after dark?
during harvest i mostly sleep during the day and stay up all night, or just dont sleep at all. security is top priority, and work never stops so i dont really care if the plants get chopped at night or in the daytime as long as it gets done. Best time to chop for high quality is early morning.

orechron

Plot twist: blueberry is backyardfarmer :dance:

Riddles and translations were fun to read.

Shcrews, have you read into the russet life cycle? I think it was Kevin from wonderland that was saying they overwinter in the soil? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Might be a good idea to introduce predators as soon as it gets warm next year, especially if the things are hibernating in native plants.

orechron

maybe treat the plants once. or ask him. if he never did and ur speculating on what to do while ignoring the indoor growers keeping clean mother plants that is rude.

Which indoor growers? If the native shrubs have russets then they might be there for good. His game plan so far is pop seeds, sex, plant. They'd be at risk of reinfection as soon as they were teens out in the field, thats if the indoor veg room is cleaned.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I read in a newspaper article that many farms lost everything due to the fires. Even people who invested their life savings into their grows and it all turned to ash. I feel so bad for them cause theres no insurance they can buy due to the f*ked up federal laws, so they lost everything. Glad you came out ok man! :dance013:

plantingplants

I started out this year trying to keep harvested flower around 68 and 50% but have seen and smelled really loud and great looking flower that was dried in a hot carport so I guess I've cared less as I cut more down. Are you seeing much of a difference with the cold-dried flower?

Wait how do you press live rosin?? Sounds like some black magic

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
have seen and smelled really loud and great looking flower that was dried in a hot carport so I guess I've cared less as I cut more down. Are you seeing much of a difference with the cold-dried flower?
high temperature, low humidity drying is not the worst way to go, at least your crop won't rot.

humidity: when humidity is too low in your drying room the outside of the bud dries faster than the inside so you have to bin it when the stems are still a bit bendy to even out the moisture. If you wait until the stems are snapping then your weed will be crispy and harsh no matter how good it was when you chopped it. There are ways to rehydrate crispy weed but it will never be as good as it could have been if dried properly

temperature: this one is obvious, as heat is known to degrade cannabinoids. you should avoid exposing cannabis to high temperatures ever. a properly cooled drying room helps to preserve the full profile of cannabinoids and terpenes which were present at harvest.

I can speak from experience here, we have gone several seasons without a proper drying room set up.. this is actually my first year with an air-conditioner and we've been able to maintain a temperature of 60-70 degrees. It is also our first season using a dehumidifier that has a build in humidistat which maintains an RH of 50% in the drying room, as opposed to previous years when the dehuey was running constantly and often over-dried the flowers.

If conditions are proper then it should take about 7-10 days for most things to dry fully. In my opinion this makes a noticeable difference in quality. That is not to say you can't produce some great ganja with a suboptimal drying room, i have done it many times, but it is more difficult and will never be quite as good.

Wait how do you press live rosin?? Sounds like some black magic
the most popular technique that i'm aware of is to make fresh-frozen bubble hash and then press that. have also heard of people flash-freezing fresh buds, tumbling them, then pressing the sift.