What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings closing up like a taco.

jgrow

My new seedlings are beginning to curl up on them selves. Almost like a taco.

Medium: Sunshine mix #4
Strain: Grape Shiva
Air Temp: 74-82
Soil Temp: 77
Water Only

Seed tray sits on a heat matt to control the temperature.

The first plant to show the signs of curling did on day 3, progressively, the rest of the seedlings have followed suit. The growth is stunted, nothing new for the last 2 days.

Anyone idea on what this might be or how to control this.

**Flash was on when taking the pictures, the plants aren't bleached like it may look**

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Looks like heat stress...what is the humidity? Could be VPD possibly, those main stems look dark purple instead of a light green like they should, possibly ph is off? Either that or there is a lack of P and K and magnesium possibly.

Lacking in magnesium can cause the "praying" effect or the taco affect as well but it really looks like temp/humidity is off......I would loose the heat mat for starters. They should not need heat mats at this stage......after 2nd set of true leaves, they are ready for nutrients....

Lack of P and K can cause stunted growth as well as darkening of the stem and branches (unless it is genetic traits). This usually shows as striped dark colors in the stem and branches in older more mature plants.....with seedlings, the main stem darkens instead of staying a light green color.

I would collect run off and check TDS and PH levels to see what is going on with the soil.....

bobman

looks like heat or they are very sensitive to the light. when they fold like that they are trying to keep moisture. watch your watering too a little goes a long way at that stage.

vukman

Veteran
heat and/or light stress...they can't transpire fast enough to cool themselves....had the same issue........either raise the lights 'til they grow up a bit or cut the cycle back until they can handle the lighting.
The lil' darlin's are just learning to crawl my friend...can't start them running yet...;)

D

Dnice

that is ok just give it a bit more time i'd say those seedling have had hard time cracking shall off themself, stress'ed out.

jgrow

Thanks for the reply's TheBioMaster, bobman, vukman, RanchoDeluxe, Dnice!!! :thank you:

Humidity is at 75%, I went ahead a pulled the light back(t5's) and took the heating matt out from under the seedling tray.

They should start to turn around and come out of it, just not seeing much growth. I think the soil they started in is to heavy for them, not enough perlite. I know they will do better once i transplant into my prepared soil mix but i don't want to mess with there roots yet, what do you guys think about that? Wait for some more growth before transplanting?

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
sunshine#4 is gonna be to hot for seedling meaning too much nutes in your dirt. not much to do but wait it out...some can take it an others will be sensative.

jgrow

Post up some pics. Are they in 4" pots? What is your soil mix currently? What do you plan on transplanting them into?

These are in 32(36?) site nursery tray. Once these show some signs of turning around they will be transplanted into solo cups and then into one gallons. Ill post some pics in the next day or two. I hope to see these turn around by then.

Arthritis_sucks

I flushed the sunshine mix one week prior to planting in it. No signs of burning. Just a little taco action.

I will update with pictures on Tuesday.

Thanks guys.

Sunshine#4 is just peat moss, ewc, perlite and a wetting agent, if I'm correct and should be fine to start seedlings in.

Still unsure what size pot you are using. You can always try to pop one out...if it falls apart and has no root ball wait a bit before you do the others.

jgrow

Well I missed my update for Tuesday and have been busy. Ill have new pictures for this evening.

The seedlings have not shown a lot of progress and all the new growth is displaying the same traits, taco-ing. I'm baffled what the problem is.

I have transplanted from a nursery tray(aprox. 1"x1"x1") to 160z beer cups. There was a very small root mass in the trays, but the roots are white and appear to be healthy.

4 x Grape Shiva have been in 16oz cups for four days.

8 x Grape Shiva were left in the tray for 2 additional days, same disappointing root development, transplanted to 160z cups as well. In cups for two days.​

I filled the 16oz beer cups with a mix of sunshine #4 and chunky perlite. Watered with 1/8th dose of BioCanna Vega and 1/4 dose of Rhizotonic.

I really appreciate your response's guys!

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
try a foliar with the rhizo......what did you transplant them into(medium)? does the medium get a chance to dry out a lil bit or is it kept wet ? i had this problem once when i kept the seedling too wet and eventually the stem rotted out an killed them.

jgrow

try a foliar with the rhizo......what did you transplant them into(medium)? does the medium get a chance to dry out a lil bit or is it kept wet ? i had this problem once when i kept the seedling too wet and eventually the stem rotted out an killed them.

About four days before transplant, I gave them a foliar with the rhizo at a very weak dosage. Ill try to up it.

Transplanted into Sunshine #4 plus added chunky perlite and Diatomaceous Earth.

The soil they were in before the transplant never dried out, it was like mud. That was the problem.

The medium they are in now will dry out much better. Currently seeing some shock from the transplant. I'm hoping to see a turn around soon.

When lights come on I get some photos.

GrowNut

these didnt make it too far, woulda loved to see the results on the grape shiva, thanks for all your help Jgrow

medicalmj

Veteran
Medium: Sunshine mix #4

Water Only

Sunshine #4 contains 0 nutrients, it is a form of "hydro". It is 100% nutrient deficient, which is why I like it. So you must add all nutes, including micros. I highly recommend a hydro nute like GH Nova or Duo.

Seeds usually can get by for a bit, so it sounds like the "bit" is over. I'd also put a dome over them to reduces the cupping from the low RH.

medicalmj

Veteran
sunshine#4 is gonna be to hot for seedling meaning too much nutes in your dirt. not much to do but wait it out...some can take it an others will be sensative.

Hey, Sunshine #4 does not contain any nutes. Only thing it has is mycco's...

And Yucca for a wetting agent...

S

s00thsayer