What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10-12 years old seeds...

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the only one "Positive" thing i can tell you is when i opened 3 seeds from the tests all of them looked VERY healthy from the inside like they DO want to spread out !

Why not try that before soaking the seeds in (pure)water (just pressure the seeds with your fingers until they open slightly,no need to see inside...you can also re-soak the opened ones if you still have them...)and you can also pre-soak (for 24h)the seeds before pressuring them if you're afraid to harm them.

I've done it with mid old seeds which were badly conserved...i had mixed results but sometimes it worked very well (30% of the seeds popped last time)...

rootcap

Why not try that before soaking the seeds in (pure)water (just pressure the seeds with your fingers until they open slightly,no need to see inside...you can also re-soak the opened ones if you still have them...)and you can also pre-soak (for 24h)the seeds before pressuring them if you're afraid to harm them.

I've done it with mid old seeds which were badly conserved...i had mixed results but sometimes it worked very well (30% of the seeds popped last time)...

i tryied it allready, before and after soaking. no 1 pop.
also, i can see the healty inside only after soaking with H2O2. when im soaking with regular water the inside become jelly-like.

What i can tell you is, i found somthing about seeds dormant, and i'm trying it right now. it will take a while (2-3 months) but still worth the try. in shortly, every seed of any plant got its own protection from nature. when the seed dont have the ideal conditions from the enviorment the seeds "falling a sleep".
to "wake" them up again they need the ideal conditions again, but not only for the germination period. the seeds need to get the ideal conditions from when they made untill the time for getmination. winter then spring.... 3 months of cold in soil with ideal condition then back to ideal germination conditions...
you can google for "Seeds dormant" and to get more information about it...
anyway, for me it sounds very logic and worth the try.
after 2 weeks that i placed the seeds in growing medium with a bit more of humus i can see the seeds became very chubby. the color became more darker and it looks like somthing is happening.
I have no idea if somthing will pop at the end but still, anything worth a try.
still, one thing i didnt tryied yet and i do want to try is the giberellic acid. as far as i read a lot of people had great success with them, but as i can see it's not a must to germinate old seeds. but anyway, i'm sure ill try it in the near future.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes,i have heard about seeds dormancy,though i never tried it...but i figured as the seeds sleeps in my fridge it was a kind of dormancy...still i'm not sure it's the case actually.I have to read more.:)

Once i thrown some landrace seeds in a flower pot in my living room,and after almost a year some did come out of the soil for no reason...the mystery of soil dormancy:ying:

rootcap

Yes,i have heard about seeds dormancy,though i never tried it...but i figured as the seeds sleeps in my fridge it was a kind of dormancy...still i'm not sure it's the case actually.I have to read more.:)

Once i thrown some landrace seeds in a flower pot in my living room,and after almost a year some did come out of the soil for no reason...the mystery of soil dormancy:ying:

yeap, this is why everybody recommend to keep the seeds in the freeze i guess.
but, in my case the seeds saved in the worst condition they ever could wish for... no humidity, very high temp and not seald at all... :tumbleweed:
so, i guess this is why its very difficult for me to germinate any of them...

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got some last year for other freaky experiments , was about twelve quid for 10 gramme .

picture.php

The amount for seeds is a bit hit or miss , have not got enougth bad seeds to trial .

picture.php

rootcap

yeah foomar, im almost sure this is going to help, but still, as far as i read about the seed dormancy, i understand that gibberellic acid is not most for germination.
still, i know i will use it in the future, it's allways good to learn more stuff.

PiffGuru

recently I had a not so great experience from my seeds from around 08'. Only had 1 original seed and a bunch from other various places.. Only could get the original and 1 other to pop, and the other died lol. Also the one that lived had the seed stuck to the leaves and I ended up having to pull it off manually only to notice that the inside skin was stuck around the leaves still and had to pull that off. All that caused some mutated attributes for the first couple sets of leaves..

I had these in little bags with silica bags around them in a tin container a cool area.. only the original had rice around it as well so I would definitely recommend lots of rice for long storage..

rabid

Foomar--This is the data sheet I received with my two grams of GA3. The mixing instructions are a bit more detailed than yours are. Sorry for the blurred print...

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
They're gone my friend, no matter what you do. Lesson learned about storing seeds.

BC

rootcap

They're gone my friend, no matter what you do. Lesson learned about storing seeds.

BC

it's hard to belive they gone. if you'll search a bit online you can see that 12 years old seeds is stills young in this kind of cases.
people success to germinate 3000 years old seeds....

im not going to give up on them so easy, and if you have some oldies i belive you shouldnt also. sometimes you can find real diamonds between them....

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Rabid , the mixing instructions supplied with mine are wrong and would produce 10 x the ppm they imply , and completely fuck anything treated.

Have just popped tomato seed near 100% that spent the last four years loose on a shelf in a greenhouse , these are of feeble construction compared to hard shelled cana seed yet they survive better.

rabid

rabid, did you tryied it with any old seeds ?
if so, how old was the seeds ?

Rootcap--A while back I treated a dozen Michoacan beans which were at least 10 years old, maybe 12-15 years. The shells were super-hard and the GA3 seemed to "loosen" them up a bit. At least enough that 8 cracked and developed tails. Those germinated OK and 6 grew to maturity without any serious weirdness. Did the GA3 help? I think it did but your mileage may vary...

I've just put some (very) old heirloom tomato and rockmelon seeds into a 400 ppm solution and should know in a few weeks if the GA3 will help them to pop. Stay tuned...

O

OneTokeOver

I'm thinking there might be something to the dormancy thing. I tried to germinate 10 yr old seeds recently, that had been stored at both room temp. and in the fridge depending on where I was living at the time. (I know better now)

I scuffed them, did the seaweed soak and then paper towel. I gave up after 2 weeks, only two started out of 10 and they never came up after being planted.

I almost threw the seeds in the compost when I remembered reading something Tom Hill said about seeds germing weeks later in flats he had already emptied. So, I threw them in a pot and forgot about them till about 6 weeks into 12/12 when I noticed 3 little seedlings stretching like hell under the canopy. Another one popped up a week later and a 5th 2 days after harvest.

Not only did they take between 6 and 9 weeks to germ, they did it at 1300 ppm and are growing just fine now.

rootcap

I'm thinking there might be something to the dormancy thing. I tried to germinate 10 yr old seeds recently, that had been stored at both room temp. and in the fridge depending on where I was living at the time. (I know better now)

I scuffed them, did the seaweed soak and then paper towel. I gave up after 2 weeks, only two started out of 10 and they never came up after being planted.

I almost threw the seeds in the compost when I remembered reading something Tom Hill said about seeds germing weeks later in flats he had already emptied. So, I threw them in a pot and forgot about them till about 6 weeks into 12/12 when I noticed 3 little seedlings stretching like hell under the canopy. Another one popped up a week later and a 5th 2 days after harvest.

Not only did they take between 6 and 9 weeks to germ, they did it at 1300 ppm and are growing just fine now.

Great info.

for me it happend the same with the ones that pops, they was too week to germinate... also, i got 2 like this right now that i'm trying to boost them with a bit of Algamic....

anyway, i belive the time that your seeds was in the soil is what the seeds needed to break their dormancy. i'm gonna throw 5 seeds today and let you know if anything goes...

rootcap

ok, quick update...

after 30 days of waiting i had to take 5 seeds out (out of 50) and test them to see if they got any reaction...
so, i throw all the 5 in H2O2 and distilled water mix for 1 hour and placed the seeds inside of wet paper...
10 hours after we got a winner, 1 got open and as for now i can see 1 more cracked...

anyway, here's a picture of the 1 from the morning...
DSC01735.jpg

i'll keep inform you anyway soon...

homebrew420

nice. Just read the whole thread Root. Glad to hear the naysayers were wrong. I was recently gifted 20 year old Acapulco gold seeds. These need to sprout. 10% germ rate? I would happily take that. So for you it was simply a #s game? Good to know.

Peace

rootcap

nice. Just read the whole thread Root. Glad to hear the naysayers were wrong. I was recently gifted 20 year old Acapulco gold seeds. These need to sprout. 10% germ rate? I would happily take that. So for you it was simply a #s game? Good to know.

Peace

no, no, no man. i guess you should read it from the start... i did started it... lol

it's really not #s games here.
i tryied almost everything and this time it's part of a long test i'm doing...
this 5 seeds came from envierment of "Dormancy breaking", i placed them in fridge 30 days ago inside of soil less mix with extra humos to break the dormancy (you can read about it in the earlyer pages...)
acctualy the method i'm trying should take 60 days at least, but since i got 2 diffrend packs that i stored, 1 of 10, and the other of 50, i decided to grab 5 seeds from the 50 pack, but it's only 30 days of breaking the dormancy so i didnt thought for any results...
as for now, only 1 is really open (the 1 from the pic) and the other 1 still dont show any sign of tail.... the other 3 is not showing any sign at all. but hey, it's still less then 24h now...

i'll keep you post...

Latest posts

Latest posts