What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Stick Test Grow

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i just checked to see how my one is doing and its got plenty of white hairs, but i spotted a bollock :|
typical thai herming slightly, but as long as you check the plant closely every few days you can pull the balls off and after a few weeks it gives up making more of them and carries on flowering as normal.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well I was wondering about this - say I got one male and one female - do you think it would be possible to pollenate early enough to seed a plant before it hermies? Like a month in, when it only has a few? At least that way some seeds could be produced immediately - I'm already thinking preservation will be more important than smoke initially.

I guess the hermie genes would still continue, but at least there would be an XY in there quick, and with a few dozen seeds one could hopefully start to breed it out. DJ Short managed it pretty much when converting the Juicy Fruit and Chocolate Thais into breeding stock for the blue family...he reduced the hermie instancing from 'almost constant' to 'hardly ever'...granted it probably took quite a few generations... :chin:

G

My understanding is that Thais and other se asians are often 25% male, 25% female and 50% hermie, I've read of other breeding efforts with thai and they always used males and females, discarding all hermies, but had to grow a few plants to find the pure females. I've had a few pure female thais over the years so its possible.

If a female has hermie genes, best to not use her, will make things much simpler in the long run.

If you don't find a female, I have a beautful old Thai/Afghan female, maybe you could send me some Thai pollen from a male and I'll hit a clone and send you the seeds, won;t be pure Thai, but pretty close and with better yield and less stretch, the cut I have has a Thai dominant high and taste, really, reall fruity but has much improver bud density and resin production.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
could there be a chance that if one hermi plant polinated another hermi or pure female that the seeds would have a chance of making some males ?
i havent found a pure male yet :|

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
That pollen idea would work a treat actually - if that's how it pans out, that would ba cool solution. Occurred to me that the other person who posted the identical Thai sticks yesterday might be in a similar position - if we all only get one plant each, and they're all different, then there may have to be some pollen donations going on...that way we can still get some seeds made...:)

smokeymacpot

Veteran
its not gonna keep the thai as an IBL if you cross it with an afghan/thai tho.

if you would like i can collect the pollen from my thai (hermi), although im not sure how much i can get or if it would be of any use to you.
actually would it be easier if i just gave u some seeds? and you do the whole shebang yourself? itd save me pissing about and then i can pull the balls off like i planned to.

also you should ask the dude with those sticks if he would send you a few seeds so you have a chance to find a pure male. although everyones might be hermi :chin: PM him a link to this thread and see what he says. and also PM me

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
heya - my tuppence would be that crossing with an Afghan defeats the purpose of going down the Thai route at all ...

it may well boost resin production, but it will also surely screw with the resin profile too ... rather liking buying an E-Type Jaguar and fitting it with an engine from a Dodge pick up

Do you think there's much point of using a plant that you know hermies to produce seeds - I mean, without having the necessary space to grow out countless offspring?

if you're going down the F1 route, why not cross it with another equatorial sativa?

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My Malawi Gold would be a good partner for a Male Thai - it's bushy, rather than tall and stretchy, doesn't hermie, and is around 14 weeks. And huge buds too...:)

ngakpa

Veteran
yeh, good call

have you thought of doing what you can to force it to turn male?

keep it dry, and with high K

then you could do

(Malawi Gold x Thai) x Thai

which could be pretty nice

ThaiPhoon

EM- that malawi looks incredible! I think a Thai X Malawi cross would be sweet.

Also for what it is worth...I have not seen a Thai male plant. I reckon that Thai males are extremely more rare than 25%. Granted the only Thai beans I have tried have come from bagseed :( I have only grown a grand total of 12 Thai plants also. But of those 12 half had been hermie and the other half female. I might add that the 3 plants I have now are all females, and have not yet thrown any nanners...

I can't wait to see how these grow!!

Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Its hilarious - for most of my growing life I never really considered sativas other than to eagerly buy as smoke - growing them seemed insane. Now I'm thinking of making pure sativa hybrids at home...just goes to show as a lot of it is down to confidence as much as genetics...:)

I'm going to photograph this Malawi properly tonight so you can see the 'wine-glass' profile I've managed to create - I'm really pleased with it. It's just about stopped stretching at 4 weeks flower, at the perfect height, so it will start filling in now - it looks incredible.

Must also kill remaining mites tonight...:(

G

Yea but I don't think anyone will want to buy a sativa that takes 14 weeks to flower, know what I mean? Still it a good home project if you are willing to wait that long.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Oh, I'm willing - I waited 15 weeks for the last one! It's OK though, as I'm running 8-week strains as well, so it just sits there getting fatter whilst others are in and out and harvested...:)

BTW, there's something else to know about these Thai seeds/seedlings - once they've popped off their shells (if they can manage that!) - then have to break through their 'embryotic veil' or whatever it's called - the thin film that surrounds the cotyledons. However, that is as tough as the seeds are, and the poor seedlings are just sitting there getting crushed by their own safety-helmet!

I've had to wade in again with a cocktail stick, and perform micro-surgery twice this afternoon on two seedlings that were alive, but 'stuck' inside this tough stuff, without killing the poor things. I think I managed it - I've left them alone for an hour, and we'll see if they're alive still...:)

G

I've had that problem with some bag seeds before, make sure you don't bull of the "helment and the membrane at the same time unless the seedlings starter leaves are dark gree if there light green they will most likeley die, but they could possibly live, anything can happen.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's both those poor little babies after their surgery-assisted delivery - it's brutal world out here...:)

The good news is the first one is definitely going to make it, and I think the other will too - though it's at a delicate stage.

As for the first one - I repotted that just now, and it is rocking. Which means, (fingers crossed) that I now have three Thai seedlings growing out from that stick - who would have thunk it? :)

smokeymacpot

Veteran
how is your first one doing ? mines got loads of hairs, but the buds aint filling out yet :( ive got a thai x superskunk seed on it thats nearly ripe as well. polination didnt stop it growing balls btw :/