What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I grow my own so weed is not a problem. I'll need some when I first arrive but.... 4 months later, I'll be flush again. :) And, a nice ride down to Ventura is not a problem if needed.

I kind of figured with all the old rich people on the central coast, there should be plenty of medical aid available. I have great insurance. Always have.

As for bikes..... well, I'll be selling both of these before I leave but as soon as I arrive, you can bet that a motorcycle will be almost right away. LOL

Attachments

• 2007ninja.jpg
    2007ninja.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 38
  • hondashadow2007-1.jpg
    hondashadow2007-1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 36

St. Phatty

I kind of figured with all the old rich people on the central coast, there should be plenty of medical aid available. I have great insurance. Always have.

As for bikes..... well, I'll be selling both of these before I leave but as soon as I arrive, you can bet that a motorcycle will be almost right away. LOL

How much does a Red Honda like that go for ?

Thought it was a Harley from a distance. NICE MACHINE :woohoo:

If you have good insurance well then. One option is the UCSD area maybe, just because it can be a nice area to recuperate. They would have van service from the clinic to the La Jolla Cove motel. Or La Jolla Shores motel.

If I had to recover somewhere & was going to be on crutches or something, that would be a good place.

If you're travelling with family, it would be a total vacation for them.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I paid $2700 for it 2 years ago.

I was looking at Craigslist Santa Barbara and it looks like bikes are cheaper in California than in Ohio.

I am so sick of all the idiots in Ohio telling me how everything is more expensive in California (even though they have never been there). So far EVERYTHING is cheaper in California than Ohio except real estate.

When I told my buddy I was selling my bike and buying a new one out there, he started clambering about how much more it will cost. We got on Craigslist and I made a believer out of him. I have spent the past 5 years educating all these Ohio morons about how much cheaper it is in California. I wish people would stop listening to the TV news. LOL

Got my water bill today $134 for one month's water, sewer and trash. I'll bet the most expensive mansion in Beverly Hills doesn't pay that much every month for water. Natural gas will be $500 to $700 per month through the Winter.

Sorry, /rant LOL

I have no family so I'll either be alone or with my wife. She doesn't want to go so I might leave her here. LOL Any sweet babes in California that need an old rich sugar daddy? LOL

Bobby Boucher

California is cheap as fuck.. if you are the bicycle riding, non-smoking, non-drinking, vegetarian type. Produce is ridiculously cheap out der. It'd be way cheaper to live in Cali than here in Chicago if I was a vegetarian.

Gas and smokes n luxury type items were pretty expensive last time I was there, but the weather certainly made up for it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I grind my own grain to make flour to make my own bread. LMAO I eat meat but I am a super healthy eater and fruits and veggies are huge. I quit cigs a few years ago. I ride a scooter so gas is no problem.

Sounds like I'm going to fit in just fine. LOL

Don't get me wrong. This is after a lifetime of alcoholism and drug addiction, eating pizza as your only 1 meal of the day at 3AM after the bars close. LOL So, it's really more just a hobby of mine than the real health benefits. My real body died sometime during the 80's. LOL

Mengsk

I've noticed that I fit the California stereotype even though my parents didn't necessarily raise me that way and it wasn't always the case. I used to drive more commuting for work and just in general. Now I've grown tired of traffic. Living in a city has its perks but the space constraint really makes it a toss up/balance assuming one could afford it anyway.

I find it odd that organic veggies are often more expensive per pound than meat. It doesn't really make sense (subsidizing bad habits by raising the price on healthy foods). Gas, smokes, and booze probably support fast food in/with lobbying groups.

It will take all your money to buy organic groceries if you live paycheck to paycheck. Can I call this ironic? Or something different - if you subscribe to less and less or zero of the known health risks/vices shouldn't your health insurance cost less? If you look closely at the details why does food cost what it does?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I never buy organic foods. LOL I avoid them purposely. And... doncha wanna know why? LMAO

Here in the Midwest, farming is big so I have a number of close friends who are farmers. One who farms over 1000 acres a year.

They all turned me on to the joke of organic farming. On their recommendation, I read the entire 600 page organic farming guidelines from the USDA to qualify for the 'Organic' seal, as well as all the OFPA and NOP requirements. What a fucking joke. They don't test the actual foods. The food can have a pound of Roundup in it and it can still carry the 'organic' seal (and cost 3 times as much). They all know it's impossible to isolate chemicals and fertilizer from farmer to farmer. Ground water, air borne nutes and a zillion other cross contamination factors make true 'organic' food quite impossible.

So, the guidelines are written to require THE BUSINESS MODEL ONLY of the farm to conform to NOP. Not the produce. LOL SO, as long as the farmer does not use chems or nutes outside the list, his produce is certified 'organic' no matter how much Roundup is in it (no offense to Roundup but it's a good example since everyone hates it LOL)

Plus..... take a look at the list of chemicals, nutes and crap that they allow in medical marijuana in most states. It's a list of poisons a mile long. Well, the 'organic' farmers also have a 'list' that they are allowed to use and still have their product labeled as 'organic'.

So, without dragging the thread off topic too much, I'll just say that I avoid any 'certified organic' foods simply because they cost so much more than the 'non-organic' foods and you really never know what you are getting anyway.

I think this pictures tells a thousand words about 'organic' foods.

Attachments

• 91PQZcCIojL._SL1500_.jpg
    91PQZcCIojL._SL1500_.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 37

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang, if I may please ask for a little more help......

What's the best bank to use in the Santa Barbara area? I guess 'best' would mean most popular and most branches around the central coast area.

I'll need to establish a banking relationship with someone in order to gradually transfer my money from here to there.

Any suggestions on that?

And, another odd question came up. What's the best way to ship valuables. For example, my wife's jewelry. I don't especially want to carry it all in the car when we drive out. She's not real comfortable packing it for the movers. And, we will be in temporary housing when we arrive so I figure a safe deposit box at the bank (once we get it there). Another reason why I need to start a banking relationship.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. This is helping me think things out and all your info is invaluable. Thanks again.

igrowone

Veteran

And, another odd question came up. What's the best way to ship valuables. For example, my wife's jewelry. I don't especially want to carry it all in the car when we drive out. She's not real comfortable packing it for the movers. And, we will be in temporary housing when we arrive so I figure a safe deposit box at the bank (once we get it there). Another reason why I need to start a banking relationship.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. This is helping me think things out and all your info is invaluable. Thanks again.

haven't done it myself
but my understanding is jewelers use registered insured mail
and for the ultimate in security, Brinks is there for the really expensive stuff

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Damn dude...... fucking perfect. LMAO Brinks..who else.

I just checked their web site and it's a standard service they offer. I am going to look into it more but it looks perfect. I wrap it all up and seal it. Then, they take it and accept all liability up to delivery. Fucking perfect.

Thanks again man. Just shooting out ideas and one of them turns out to be a winner.

Buy a lottery ticket today. LOL

Thanks again.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang, what's up with Lompoc? Rent seems to be cheaper there than most of the places around it.

We are narrowing it down to someplace between SLO and Ventura. I believe most have stated that Oxnard, in that range, is undesirable. How about Lompoc?

Thanks

W

Water-

Lompoc is home to a Federal Prison and an Airforce Base where the test launch rockets.

Farmers markets are where to buy cheap real organic veggies and fruit

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK, so Lompoc is not great. LOL How about the other side of Vandenburg in Santa Maria? I remember one person saying something nice a while back. Is that also a lot of Air Force?

Not a lot in my price range from Pismo to Ventura. LOL I like SB the best and thet seems to be the most expensive. SLO was nice but I really wanted to be closer to the ocean.

We will be out there next month for a week or so to look around. Hopefully, I will be more enlightened after that trip.

Thanks again so much for all of your input.

W

Water-

I have never been to Lompoc, the airbase and prison are on the outside of town.
There might be really nice areas there and it is a quick drive to an isolated beach with good waves.
Its worth checking out I think

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks again. We hope to cover as much area as we can in the first year we are there. I really like SB but the prices sure start getting affordable as you move away from the coast. Santa Maria, LomPoc are definitely cheaper than Pismo and Santa Barbara.

Thanks again

St. Phatty

If you were in Sonoma County, I would suggest checking out the 4 week Hot Composting class at the community college.

Maybe there is something similar in the SB area.

Great place to meet people who are obsessed with soil quality.

Whether it's another Cannabis grower, or a winery employee who wants to compost their grape pulp, all good people to meet.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang... what the fuck is going on out there? I have been monitoring the weather in Santa Barbara and it was 35F last night. WTF??? I didn't think it got that cold there. They have fucking palm trees.????

The high is 65 today which is fucking freezing to me. I like it 80 and above.

Am I making a mistake considering the SB area? I had no idea it got that cold. Albeit, the sun shines so it is much warmer than the horrible cold and wet 65 degrees here.

I am really starting to reconsider the central coast and look harder at San Diego. I met a girl today at the gym who is from SD and she said an old hippie like me belongs in Ocean Beach. She said it was an old hippie area where they would think I was a life long resident. LOL I guess that was a compliment. LOL

If I move to SB and it fucking snows on me, I am going to be pissed. LOL This entire move is all about the weather.