What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why are mattress's to thick now?

kologenk

How the heck do you get in and out of bed?

These new mattress are so thick, 13 inches high. Plus the boxsprings about 8". Bed frame, etc. I need a ladder!

My toilet is about 17-1/2 inches and a little short. Does it make sense to make beds higher than a toilets height?

Is anyone else wondering this? Or am I the only one, this has been bugging me for years, anyway?

Just bought a new bed and mattress's recently. Daily, I ponder this and how many back injuries will result from repetitively getting UP into bed

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I owned a mattress company and I'll tell you a couple secrets.

In America everything that's bigger is better. The BIG Mac. LARGE Fries. 2 LITER soda pop. Bigger is simply better.

And, another secret is that we are about the only country in the world that uses box springs. Biggest scam in the bedding industry is box springs. They cost almost nothing to make. The markup is incredible. Way more that a mattress (at the manufacturing level).

I use a standard bed frame with a plywood base and then the mattress on top of the plywood. No box springs.

If I had box springs, my bed would be so high, I would need a ladder. And, my dog could never jump that high.

Another scam was the "pillow top" for mattresses.

The bedding industry makes the used car salesman seem like honest Joe. LOL Mattress manufacturer's often get busted simply covering old, used mattresses and selling them as new.

troutman

Seed Whore

These new mattress are so thick, 13 inches high. Plus the boxsprings about 8";. Bed frame, etc. I need a ladder!

Your bed is 21 inches high and you need a ladder?

How short are you and is your bed frame 4 feet tall? :biggrin:

Maybe get this bed. :woohoo:

d70934fb228a62795e8a0cf58d904f2f--bunk-bed-with-slide-bunk-beds-for-kids.jpg

Gry

Used to live in a culture were people slept on bamboo mats laid over wood planks.
Back problems were unusual.
In this culture mattresses and box springs are the norm.
Back problems are the most common medical complaint.

Gry

I imagine that some of the most creative stories ever told had to do with broken water beds.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Lol, I used to have a 3' tall bed frame. I often used the ceiling for 'leverage.' lol

I also had a mum/veg cab and lots of storage space. :D

Jam2214

Your bed is 21 inches high and you need a ladder?

How short are you and is your bed frame 4 feet tall? :biggrin:

Maybe get this bed. :woohoo:

View Image

:laughing: Hahah that is funny but I totally feel your pain! My gf is 4'9 tall so we used to have a super tall bed but then she wanted to just change it to something where she doesnt have to jump ha. Funny tho!

St. Phatty

How about re-claiming flea ridden mattresses - is that possible ?

I had some baby kittens that created a bit of a Bug Infection. I ended up using dry ice and a sealed mattress size bag to kill one or 2 generations of fleas.

Fleas are amazingly resilient though. Dry ice might knock out most of them. Don't know if it guarantees they're gone.

Malato

These new mattress are so thick, 13 inches high. Plus the boxsprings about 8". Bed frame, etc. I need a ladder!

My toilet is about 17-1/2 inches and a little short. Does it make sense to make beds higher than a toilets height?

Is anyone else wondering this? Or am I the only one, this has been bugging me for years, anyway?

Just bought a new bed and mattress's recently. Daily, I ponder this and how many back injuries will result from repetitively getting UP into bed

If you live in the States the reason they are so thick, well its cuz so many of us are "thick". You literally can take a 30 min flight from Canada into the States and its very noticeable how many fatties we got lol.

Green Squall

If you live in the States the reason they are so thick, well its cuz so many of us are "thick". You literally can take a 30 min flight from Canada into the States and its very noticeable how many fatties we got lol.

Obesity is a global issue. If you look at the statistics, Canada isn't that far behind the US.

Malato

Obesity is a global issue. If you look at the statistics, Canada isn't that far behind the US.

It was an exaggeration on my part to make the point that we're the fattest country in the western developed world. But my friend, the true question is why do you think the mattress is so thick? :biggrin:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Somebody hasn't been to Nova Scotia.

Waterbeds are for fun.

Mattresses don't have to be the devil.

A firm kingsize is my happy place.

Maybe when your feet kill you you won't have the nerve to whine about how far you lean to get off of them.

:D

Wah I have too much food... wah I have too many friends.... I just had too much sex.... oh agony this joint is too big
.. wahhh my cake is too delicious....

There's people without homes.

I hope you can sleep tonight.

:friends:

By the way, have you noticed how many people freeze to death?

Why don't they just get into their SUV and crank the seat warmer and defrost?

Oh I have it too easy!

I'm crashing out on my too high mattress too high.

Jam2214

In America everything that's bigger is better. The BIG Mac. LARGE Fries. 2 LITER soda pop. Bigger is simply better.

And, another secret is that we are about the only country in the world that uses box springs. Biggest scam in the bedding industry is box springs. They cost almost nothing to make. The markup is incredible. Way more that a mattress (at the manufacturing level).

I use a standard bed frame with a plywood base and then the mattress on top of the plywood. No box springs.

If I had box springs, my bed would be so high, I would need a ladder. And, my dog could never jump that high.

Another scam was the "pillow top" for mattresses.

The bedding industry makes the used car salesman seem like honest Joe, just have a look at leesa mattress. LOL Mattress manufacturer's often get busted simply covering old, used mattresses and selling them as new.

:dance013: Yeah totally agree, I see so many mattress companies on my facebook it's crazy. It's like they are tracking me or something ha. Prbly go to install vpn or something to stop them from tracking me.

soil margin

Veteran
Haha box springs are a total scam. I sleep with just a regular mattress on a wood frame. No need for a box spring.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
We used to have sprung bases in the UK, but I've not seen one since the 80s. A mattress can cope on a flat base, and flat bases don't start to sag.

We had to chop the legs off a bed that was suitable for ceilings of 2.7 meters. It was a queen size lofta from ikea. A very tall bed, like a cabin bed, but with nothing under it. We soon fixed that with a 1.4 x 1.4 x 2.0 tent, on it's side. Even the most space conscious Japanese would of been impressed. The only electric blanket in that room was under the pots

With thick mattresses becoming also the standard, lower bases should really available.

Latest posts

Latest posts