What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sittin in my shed....

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
No worries mate- another good one is to buy a couple of heirloom Tomatoes in the summer and save the seeds… much cheaper than buying heirloom seeds in packets, and they’ll produce year after year 👍

I do that if I really like the tomato! I used to donate to Baker Creek when I would do heirloom repro runs in my garden.

I feel like one of the old timer pot farmers that still grow even though they don't smoke anymore... I eat about five percent of what I grow when I grow tomatoes!! I like growing the plants so much more than eating their fruit, but I still enjoy a good BLT!!

moose eater

I do that if I really like the tomato! I used to donate to Baker Creek when I would do heirloom repro runs in my garden.

I feel like one of the old timer pot farmers that still grow even though they don't smoke anymore... I eat about five percent of what I grow when I grow tomatoes!! I like growing the plants so much more than eating their fruit, but I still enjoy a good BLT!!
My younger son, years ago, harvested grapefruit seeds from our local grocery store's fruit counter, and sprouted a nice grapefruit tree that lived for several years in the living room, until it developed root aphids and served as a primer for learning that there are, indeed, pests that make spider mites look relatively sociable and tame.

After using everything from environmentally kind organics I'd use on my cannabis plants, to chemical versions of horticultural nuclear weapons, and the root aphids showing virtually no significant change in population, I set them out at -30 f on the front porch, forfeiting his fine grapefruit tree, but inevitably killing the root aphids.... I hope.

"We had to burn the village to save it..."

The best suitable tomatoes I've found here, including letting them ripen in open raised beds, with no hot house residency, and still getting shitloads of ripe tomatoes by later mid-Summer and onward, were the 'Gold Nugget' tomato. (a medium and sometimes larger size cherry tomato with good flavor and a nice blending of acids and sweetness.).

Yellow Pear, while similar in shape and color, couldn't compete with the ripening in uncovered raised beds.

The all-time favorite, however, in a bush (not vining) tomato was the Starfire, which I believe is no longer commercially bred, (for years now), but used to be able to procure the seeds from some of the heirloom outlets, such as Victory Seeds, and other similar stores online..

mr.brunch

Veteran
It’s going… nasty little bout that, floored me like flu does, but lots of dizziness/lightheadedness in waves.
It seems to have reinfected mrs b as she’s feverish again… luckily it bounced off little miss b and she’s fine, no symptoms at all 👍

Can’t wait to get back in the garden possibly tomorrow, normal service shall resume :tiphat:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Every time I even think about going in the garden, it rains ☔
Wouldn’t mind so much but I’ve got to fork the compost through the top soil layer before planting anything, and I’ve always been told not to do this in the rain or I’ll destroy the soil structure… maybe tomorrow 🤔
Still feeling pretty tired and ropey, so a hot bath may be in order shortly

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It’s going… nasty little bout that, floored me like flu does, but lots of dizziness/lightheadedness in waves.
It seems to have reinfected mrs b as she’s feverish again… luckily it bounced off little miss b and she’s fine, no symptoms at all 👍

Can’t wait to get back in the garden possibly tomorrow, normal service shall resume :tiphat:

Good luck with your healing brother!

Kids are pretty resilient... and aren't we all thankful for that?!!

mr.brunch

Veteran
Peas and tomatoes are out 🥳🥳
IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg

Betterhaff

Veteran
Every time I even think about going in the garden, it rains ☔
Wouldn’t mind so much but I’ve got to fork the compost through the top soil layer before planting anything, and I’ve always been told not to do this in the rain or I’ll destroy the soil structure… maybe tomorrow 🤔
Still feeling pretty tired and ropey, so a hot bath may be in order shortly
Been saying this for days and even tomorrow. Good growing my friend.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Got some more seeds in the ground- 3 short rows each of lettuce, carrots, beetroot and radishes.. netted them all over for now
I’ll get some onion and cauliflower seeds in tomorrow :tiphat:
IMG_2316.jpeg

Last edited:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Got the runner beans planted direct to the soil under the wigwam arrangement of canes ( I usually do the double row of canes, but trying this way for a change) and also put some extra lettuce seeds in the middle
IMG_2318.jpeg

Put in a row of cauliflower seeds, and also a pack of French beans (12 seeds) as they don’t need support so will be a good space filler.
IMG_2319.jpeg

Just the pumpkins to go out now, but I’m letting them sprout on the window cill.
Hope everyone is well :tiphat:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Sunny weather is still holding, so I did another hedge and lawn cut- compost heap is getting large.
I’ve also broken open the old carbon filter and emptied the carbon into a bucket… I mix it into the compost heap as the grass goes on as there’s not much ‘brown’ material in the summer.
Patiently waiting for seeds to pop up :bow:

mr.brunch

Veteran
you motivated me. turned the dirt a bit and put in a few tomatoes. Sweet 100's*

A few more toms and peppers to go/
Nice one mate 👍 I’ve got plum tomatoes in this year, did cherry ones last time and had far too many… although they made some fine soup

Just got the pumpkins to go out now and they’re breaking the soil so not long … I’ve spotted a couple of radishes and lettuce popping up too 🥳🥳