What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GMO Weed Monsanto and Marlboro have just announced there new partnership

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
shaggyballs,
There are cheap easy DNA based GMO tests to find any GMO Cannabis or agricultural GMO Cannabis plants, find one test it and then show it to us if you think there is GMO Cannabis. I am sure you can find it easy......

You started the thread with "GMO Weed Monsanto and Marlboro have just announced there new partnership" based on a satire article then you backtracked when you found out it was satire, fake news.

I do not agree that GMO Cannabis is going to be made for sure, customers may not want it, I would not, besides in most of the EU GMO can not be grown. That and the simple truth is most if not all GMO Cannabis goals can be achieved with Classical plant breeding.
-SamS

Sam you know dam well they are doing it.
Maybe it is not for sale now.

They are doing it with food why would you think they would stop there.

Last edited:
Altria and Cronos Group, have been in the papers too, so I don’t know what to believe anymore.:dunno:

Not saying this or that is gmo but, there’s a huge difference between genetically modified and genetically engineered.

Corn was genetically modified, for centuries before it was genetically engineered to be resistant to certain things. Carrots were wild and not orange until people started breeding them for desirable traits. Tomatoes use to be tiny now look at them.

Not going to sit here and stick up for corporations but, sometimes the truth is hard to find.:tiphat:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Remember, just because it is not being reported, does not mean it is not happening somewhere.

This is probably the way to get a trichome head the size of a grape as sam stated.

This may be refering to marked gene breeding I think, sam may be able to clear up the terminology.
Maybe genetic engineering??
Or genetic modification

For the past seven years – as more and more states legalize medical and recreational pot – researchers have been working on producing a high-quality marijuana genome.

Source:
https://www.sunrisegenetics.com/pre...-marijuana-dna-could-change-the-future-of-pot

With the genomic map, we can now more precisely identify the genetic differences among these three types to breed tailored cannabis strains.

Pharmaceutical companies will be able to isolate strains of cannabis DNA and then create compounds found in cannabis in the lab, and that will result in them patenting many drugs based on their creations.

GMO cannabis cells not plants
Cannabis producers, biotech firms and drug companies, along with the law firms who represent them, say genetic engineering — a controversial technique pioneered in agriculture — will allow companies to patent genes synthesized from cannabis.

Patent protection is, however, only available for "genetically modified cannabis plant cells" and "novel isolated genes that produce cannabis active ingredients,"

So this would explain why there may not be GMO cannabis plants.
You can not patent living organisms in Canada, but you can patent the GMO cannabis plant cells.
Not that they don't want to do it, there is no money in it.

So GMO cannabis does exist just not in a plant form......YET!

Gry

No expertise beyond bong use, but I often contemplate what the over financed big phama types may be doing with their R&D.

I take comfort in knowing Sam and Shaggy will track it relentlessly.

Malato

This anti gmo madness. All based off a few veggies gmo'd to produce insecticides . Of course that's bad, but in general genetic modification is a good thing that will greatly benefit people living in arid, infertile land and many many more.

BongFu

This anti gmo madness. All based off a few veggies gmo'd to produce insecticides . Of course that's bad, but in general genetic modification is a good thing that will greatly benefit people living in arid, infertile land and many many more.

Absolutely. GMO fear is spread by ignorant over priveledged usually white brats who have never gone hungry (and generally never given a cent to charities to help during famine).

That said, the dark side of GMO is that company's like Monsanto monopolise and the seed costs poor farmers who eek out a subsistence living a bomb. And that is happening in developing countries.

Malato

Absolutely. GMO fear is spread by ignorant over priveledged usually white brats who have never gone hungry (and generally never given a cent to charities to help during famine).

That said, the dark side of GMO is that company's like Monsanto monopolise and the seed costs poor farmers who eek out a subsistence living a bomb. And that is happening in developing countries.

Yeah there's for sure some bad ones they do. Alot of veggies you buy you can't grow the seeds cuz they gmo them to be sterile, sure this will happen someday with weed.

shaggyballs

Veteran

I try to share some info and this is what I get in return.:laughing:
You probably think of your self as a kind hearted person???

Well the only one you got right is I am white.

There were people that said roundup was drinkable too.
So think about that before you state you have all the facts of this matter.

Sign

I'd try GMO weed, it doesn't have to be evil. You can breed for traits for years and you can also splice in what you want if you have the means. Technology can be a wonderful thing, I'm very open minded about trying it if it exists one day. It would probably be very difficult to get your hands on the seed though.

geneva_sativa

Right,,, tell that to the farmers in India that spent their life savings and more, on seed that would not produce viable seed for the next season,,, oh yeah, you cant tell it to them, cause they are dead,,,

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right,,, tell that to the farmers in India that spent their life savings and more, on seed that would not produce viable seed for the next season,,, oh yeah, you cant tell it to them, cause they are dead,,,
from spraying all the chemicals needed to suppress natural plant growth allowing the GM crop to grow.

ANYWAY...

This whole GMO debacle needs to be hammered out.
Start with some definitions so everybody is on the same page and speaking the same language.

Genetic Modification can happen via several pathways. The first is through classical breeding... MODIFYING a variety to produce a particular characteristic or set of characteristics IS Genetic Modification.

Another method is via chemical manipulation such as using mutagens like colchacine. If a genome is mutated, IT IS MODIFIED!

Adding genes from other species is also GENETIC MODIFICATION.

These conversations about GMO really need to focus on a particular type of GM (Transgenic Modification) in order to reduce confusion about the subject matter.

We, here at IC, have an entire forum dedicated to Genetic Modification!

EagleWolf

"'While genetically engineered or genetically modified (GM) wheat has not been approved for commercial planting...'

It is difficult to buy any processed mainstream food in the USA that is GMO free.'

-SamS

Yep, not approved for commercial planting... did this quote come from somewhere? Do we know what is meant by GM here? Notwithstanding, it was my point, GM is not approved for commercial planting, but is instead used for livestock feeds, ethanol, pesticides, etc... (corn and soybeans are used for more than human food, if you didn't know)

I ask again, is there proof that "It is difficult to buy any processed mainstream food in the USA that is GMO free", because you have not provided any. Repeating yourself does not prove your point, in the real world. Maybe it makes you sound smart to ex-pats, but I think you're full of it.

I probably won't check back though, I don't like being trolled. Repeating yourself without providing any real evidence seems like trolling. Asking me if I saw someone repeat themselves definitely is.

BongFu

Have you ever been to India? I have. Lived there for several years. You will note I highlight the dark side of GM seed. Funny how people repeat people trying to prove a point that has just been highlighted :biggrin:

You'd also be missing that over priveledged white brats who scream GM is the antichrist are part of the problem and not the solution. Farmers in India have been starving and dying for generations because over priveledged white brats exploit and control cheap third world labour to ensure they have plenty of food on the table while the farmers make so little they are one bad season away from starvation.

How about drought tolerant and pest tolerant GM crops in Africa? They are saving lives because prior to these GM seeds drought was killing farmers crops leaving them with nothing. You should perhaps speak to farmers in these countries to get their opinions - or do you think you know what is better for them than they do? (white supremacy and all)

Last edited:

BongFu

Yep, not approved for commercial planting... did this quote come from somewhere? Do we know what is meant by GM here? Notwithstanding, it was my point, GM is not approved for commercial planting, but is instead used for livestock feeds, ethanol, pesticides, etc... (corn and soybeans are used for more than human food, if you didn't know)

I ask again, is there proof that "It is difficult to buy any processed mainstream food in the USA that is GMO free", because you have not provided any. Repeating yourself does not prove your point, in the real world. Maybe it makes you sound smart to ex-pats, but I think you're full of it.

I probably won't check back though, I don't like being trolled. Repeating yourself without providing any real evidence seems like trolling. Asking me if I saw someone repeat themselves definitely is.

If US farmers are using GM seeds what does that tell you?

geneva_sativa

Have you ever been to India? I have. Lived there for several years. You will note I highlight the dark side of GM seed. Funny how people repeat people trying to prove a point that has just been highlighted :biggrin:

You'd also be missing that over priveledged white brats who scream GM is the antichrist are part of the problem and not the solution. Farmers in India have been starving and dying for generations because over priveledged white brats exploit and control cheap third world labour to ensure they have plenty of food on the table while the farmers make so little they are one bad season away from starvation.

How about drought tolerant and pest tolerant GM crops in Africa? They are saving lives because prior to these GM seeds drought was killing farmers crops leaving them with nothing. You should perhaps speak to farmers in these countries to get their opinions - or do you think you know what is better for them than they do? (white supremacy and all)

can only imagine the kind of asshat that throws race around like that in a conversation,,, way to go, champ !

BongFu

can only imagine the kind of asshat that throws race around like that in a conversation,,, way to go, champ !

Presumably that is because this asshat is highlighting that white people are more than happy dark people starve and live in poverty while they wank on ignorantly about shit they clearly know nothing about brat 😀

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
As far as I know it is not my job to teach you the truth.
You could look it up as anyone does that wants to know the truth.
Maybe you are not interested and only want to see news that agrees with your world view?
I was referring mainly to USA processed foods as being GMO. Not GM, GMO. https://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/do-processed-foods-contain-gmos/
The clip below refer to GM but really mean GMO:
In the U.S. there are nine crops and GM seeds that are commercially available. These include: corn, soybeans, cotton, canola, alfalfa, sugar beets, papaya, squash and potatoes. A GM apple is also approved to be commercially grown and will be coming to market soon as will wheat.

The crops that are available as GM varieties are popular among farmers, with 95% of sugar beets, 88% of corn and 94% of soybeans in the United States being grown as GM varieties.

Some GM crops are used for human food, with a handful of those being available in the produce aisle, such as Hawaiian papaya and some squash. In addition, many packaged foods contain ingredients derived from GM crops like corn and soy, such as starches, sugars or oils.

GMOs, other than GM agricultural crops, are used for a variety of purposes, including to produce enzymes used in cheeses, fermented beverages and starch products.

Most US consumers (more than 50%) do eat GMO processed foods:
https://foodinsight.org/survey-near...rimarily-concerned-about-human-health-impact/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_in_the_United_States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetically_modified_crops

https://www.statista.com/statistics/217108/level-of-genetically-modified-crops-in-the-us/

https://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/...of-u.s.-processed-foods-58-percent-of-america

https://www.vox.com/2014/11/3/18092748/how-widespread-are-gm-foods

"In an average grocery store, roughly 75 percent of processed foods contain genetically modified organisms, or GMOs."Mar 22, 2015"

I personally avoid GMO products, in the USA it is difficult unless you grow your own food and avoid processed commercial food.

In 2014, 181.5 million hectares of genetically modified crops were planted in 28 countries, the USA included. Half of all GM crops planted were genetically modified soybeans, either for herbicide tolerance or insect resistance.

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
Avoiding the herbicide tolerant plant material seems prudent. Its a bizarre world in my view at least, to have increasing allowable levels of glyphosate over the years, on the majority of corn and soybeans and other glyphosate tolerant plants.

It’s used extensively on grains and legumes as a dessicant for uniform crop drying, no gm required.

I try to grow as much as I can, but otherwise 95% buy organic even though it’s generslly more expensive, but not by much at times. Organic is no guarantee I suppose, I believe their are allowable levels although small of non organic pesticides in state organic or maybe Fed standards.
A lot better to me than roundup for sure in non organic it seems

Miasa Mura

I am not arguing for or against GMO cannabis, just sharing information:

According to the book, Cannabis;Evolution and Ethnobotany by Robert C. Clarke and Mark D. Merlin, the chapter on Recent History of Cannabis Breeding - page 309:

“...Biotechnology in the form of genetic modification has also reached Cannabis. An Irish research group successful transferred genes for grey mold resistance to an industrial hemp variety (Clarke and Watson 2007). Grey mold is one of the leading pest of Cannabis, causing crop loss and contaminating medical supplies, and the transfer of resistance into medical varieties would therefore be of great value. Yukihiro Shoyama and colleagues at Fukuoka University in Japan have transferred the THC-synthase gene from Cannabis to tobacco (Nicotiana tobaccum) and induced it to convert CBG (cannabigerol , the precursor molecule to THC) into THC (Shoyama et al. 2001). Other agronomically valuable traits may also be transferred to Cannabis such as enhanced pest resistance, increased yields of medically valuable compounds, tolerance of environmental extremes, and sexual sterility.”