What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'In Search of the ULTIMATE SATIVA and INDICA'....(Rare Land-Race Hunting.)

W

Water-

Good luck to the treasure hunter,sounds like a great trip!
If I was able i'd like to do 1 starting in the Congo then Angola,Zambia,Malawi and Tanzania from east to west across Africa

great choices!

lots to be found in those areas.

I have been planning a trip for awhile that takes me from Banda Aceh, and then down Sumatra and from there on to Borneo and then West Papua/New Guinea and then Fiji, Samoa and Tahiti and back to Hawaii.

I have had good herb in Fiji and my friend just got back from Tahiti and says he scored some nice stuff.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
picture.php

First he is going to need a Bhutan Visa, so he has to apply. Above is an example of a Bhutanese Visa from 2002.

Travel to the Kingdom of Bhutan is highly regulated under the policy "High Value, Low Impact Tourism" in order to minimize the impact on the country's unique society and environment. Bhutanese policy ensures that only a limited number of tourists enter the country at any one time, preventing it from being overwhelmed by mass tourism and thus altering its character, and that the tourists who do come get the most out of their visits.

Visa required in advance

All foreigners (except for citizens of Bangladesh, India, and Maldives) must obtain a visa before visiting Bhutan. If approved, they are given a visa clearance letter, and must present it at the port of entry. The visa is then stamped into their passport. Foreign tourists must use a licensed Bhutanese tour operator or one of their international partners to pre-arrange their visa and book their holiday. A daily fee is also charged for every day of stay. For most foreign tourists, it amounts to $250 a day during tourist high season, and $200 a day for low season.

Discounts also apply for minors and larger groups while surcharges exist for groups smaller than 3. The minimum daily package required for visa processing covers accommodation, food, guide and vehicle with driver. Part of it goes towards free education, free healthcare and poverty alleviation in Bhutan. Licensed tour guides accompany tourists during their trips and arrange accommodations - independent tourism by foreigners (except for citizens of Bangladesh, India, and Maldives) is prohibited.

The only exceptions for having to book a tour as a condition for being allowed to visit are for those who receive a formal invitation to Bhutan from "a citizen of some standing" or a volunteer organization, and those who come as guests of the Bhutanese government.

Restricted areas permit

Upon entering Bhutan, all foreigners are issued a 7 or 14 days "Entry Permit" by default, valid for Thimphu and Paro only. The rest of Bhutan is considered a restricted area, and foreigners need a "Restricted-Area Permit" to enter. Immigration checkpoints are located at important road junctions throughout the country, where police check the permits of all foreigners they find. In addition, foreigners wishing to visit Buddhist temples must obtain a "Temple Permit" from the Ministry of Culture.

While these permits are typically arranged by the tour operators, Indian, Bangladeshi, and Maldivian visitors who did not book through a licensed tour operator must apply for them in person at the Immigration office in Thimphu. The permits can also be extended at the Immigration office in Thimphu for a charge. Citizens of Bangladesh, India, and Maldives are exempt from charges on issuance and extensions of permits.

Looks like it might be a tad difficult to get off the beaten track in Bhutan since it looks like you just can't freely travel around because you have to book a tour with some state-sponsored tour company, unless you have a personal invite from 'someone of some standing', or the monarchy or government......so this is going to prove interesting just getting the clearances to get there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Bhutan

Wow. Good luck. Thanks to you guys gathering seeds from across the globe.

I would be interested in more african sativas as well as the Asian ones. Nigerian, Senegal, Ghana.

I have been wanting to go to Jamaica and look for the oldest seeds I could find. Not as remote or interesting as buthan but since I have family there it makes it easier.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
'Cannabis grows wild throughout Bhutan’s central valleys and its southern borders. It’s so prolific that farmers used to feed it to their pigs to stimulate their appetites. For humans, possession can now lead to a five-year jail sentence, but you might still find young Bhutanese rubbing their hands together near a big cannabis field in an attempt to make low-fi ‘finger hash.’

picture.php

VICESJANUARY 24, 2018 BY TERESA GREEN

Bhutan, a land shrouded in mystery, is a small part of Asia that has been cut off from the outside world since before the 1960s. And because of its seclusion, it was never discovered by the younger generations in Bhutan that the pig feed they’ve been using is special. You see, there in Bhutan, pigs don’t necessarily fly, but they do get high.

The porkers are getting lifted on the traditional pig feed in Bhutan, which is said to be legendary in its fattening properties — because it gives them the munchies. For generations, the local Bhutanese people have been feeding their pigs on weeds that grow wild all over the countryside, which, turns out, is lots and lots of cannabis.

The strangest revelation about the fields of cannabis in Bhutan, however, is that until recently, no one smoked it. It was only after the legalization of television in 1999 that the idea of smoking it came to the area. After seeing Cheech, Chong and Seth Rogen's exploits on this newfangled device, the Bhutanese youth realized the village pigs might be the ones having all the fun.

And as kids do, the youth took to smoking the cannabis with a kind of enthusiasm the rest of the word has known for centuries.

Since then though, the Bhutanese government reports an alarming increase in cannabis being smoked by younger generations. Recreational harvesters now pick the flowers under the cover of darkness, as cannabis use is disapproved of in Bhutan.

In 2002, an International Narcotics Control Board report described that the Bhutanese government had attempted to eradicate marijuana — even, ironically, burning entire fields of cannabis to get rid of it. Yet there is so much growing wild there, it’s near impossible to completely get rid of it.

Unlike the hemp growing wild still in some parts of the U.S as a relic of hemp fabric production, which has no THC and would only give you a headache if you smoked it, these types of local cannabis plants are seriously potent by comparison. Bhutanese marijuana is a narrow-leaf drug biotype that packs quite a punch. The Thimphu cannabis looks like your typical South Asian sativa, but botanists have now agreed that it is actually a subtype of C. sativa Sp. indica, which creates a relaxing cerebral high.

As it’s described, Thimphu cannabis tastes sweet and sour, with an earthiness that hangs around in the throat afterwards. It has been used as a basis for cannabis commercially sold in Amsterdam and the U.S. You can puff away the day with this stuff and still feel great. It also supposedly gives users mega munchies, a trait the fattened pigs in Bhutan could likely attest to.

No one really knows exactly why people in Bhutan hasn't traditionally smoke their local weed before, unlike every other country in the Himalayan region where marijuana grows. In the neighboring countries of Nepal and Tibet, it’s common to see old traditionalists smoking huge blunts the size of a baby’s forearm. Not so in Bhutan; and the world may never know exactly why the Bhutanese didn’t light up the blunts for generations, as most of Bhutan’s sparse historical records were destroyed in a fire in 1827.

Some say there is absolutely no mention of cannabis use in Bhutanese traditional medicine, while others dispute that the local medicine men were notoriously reluctant to reveal trade secrets. There are reports amongst the Bhutanese that there was a tradition of extracting hash from the plant by beating the marijuana leafs against a drum. The resulting hash was then administered like medicine.

There also appears to be evidence that smoking marijuana was actually stopped in Bhutan during the 17th Century by the ultra-religious regime that ruled the isolationist Bhutanese state. Their strong stance against intoxicants may explain why smoking cannabis dropped out of favor almost entirely, until television brought it back from the brink.

https://therooster.com/blog/bhutanese-youth-just-realized-pig-food-has-been-marijuana-all-along

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is really cool. The first place I go will be for Nepal genes. Bodhi's Goji OG has left a huge impression on me. Anything he crosses the nepal with is amazing. I won't be able to do it for 2 years but I can't wait. I would also love to collect some genetics in India.

Bhutan sounds fun and I suppose while looking for Nepalese genes I will bounce over there. Really excited to see how this pans out.

PANIKZ

Vendor
Veteran
This is really cool. The first place I go will be for Nepal genes. Bodhi's Goji OG has left a huge impression on me. Anything he crosses the nepal with is amazing. I won't be able to do it for 2 years but I can't wait. I would also love to collect some genetics in India.

Bhutan sounds fun and I suppose while looking for Nepalese genes I will bounce over there. Really excited to see how this pans out.

Did you see this list i just posted mate you might want to take a look,..:biggrin:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I have had good herb in Fiji and my friend just got back from Tahiti and says he scored some nice stuff.

More pure landrace varieties from all around Asia and the tropic islands would be great. Thai and Chinese Yunnan seeds seem to be the main offerings for pure Asian landraces.

I bet there are some interesting plants in the triangle of Bangladesh, Bhutan and Burma since being sandwiched between Thailand Sativas and Indian hash plants!

Bodhi's Goji OG has left a huge impression on me. Anything he crosses the nepal with is amazing.

I agree 100%, Goji OG was a game changer for me.

ahortator

Veteran
It is fantastic!

Could your friend visit Tripura? It is not extremely far from Bhutan!

https://thekararnivang.com/2012/12/01/tripura-police-atum-87129-kani-arong-kaphalangno/

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...rth-over-rs-3-crore-destroyed-in-tripura.html

https://www.tripura-infoway.com/new...in-sonamura-by-sdm-bsf-police-joint-team.html

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...ant-destroyed-sonamura-sdm-talks-to-tiwn.html

https://tripurainfo.com/pgDetailSpecialAricle.aspx?WhatId=2801

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...-bsf-destroys-ganja-worth-rs-6-23-crores.html

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...-the-honest-policy-saves-ganja-smugglers.html

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...f-commander-rs-45-crores-ganja-destroyed.html

https://www.tripurapolice.gov.in/node/459

https://www.tripurainfoway.com/news...1-crores-destroyed-by-sdm-bsf-joint-team.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJJdNwxuag

Also Nepal is not far too :biggrin:

village: sauraha
elevation: 150m
classification: full on lowland terrai jungle sativa
aroma: temple ball, soapy, green, spice
notes: this plant is extremely stable and almost indestructible, i have had 5 females in 12oz cups in my mom room for over a year, they dont seem to care if theres no water, light, root space, pm, etc... they are prone to spider mites though, but they dont impact the plant that much. i have also bushmastered (pgr) them into bonsai sativas. should be a unique breeding tool.

flPShRl.png

2FHrbav.jpg

5fPsrGe.jpg

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is already an epic thread of information =)

@ahortator your description makes it sound like phenomenal breeding material. Those are very valuable resistances you mentioned, especially the low water and no issues being root bound.

therevverend

Veteran
Wow what an amazing journey. One of the few parts of the world that's remained shrouded in mystery instead of opening up to everyone for $.
The locals don't smoke it but I'd be curious about other uses. I'd be surprised if the Bhutanese don't take advantage of the fiber and seeds.
As far as places for strain hunting central Asia is the obvious choice. It is most likely the birthplace of cannabis. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan. You could add Turkmenistan and Iran to the list.
Countries that are legendary in the history of the spread, manufacture, and use of hashish. Unfortunately there's hardly any information or documentation of cannabis growing. A couple years ago the Kazakh government reached out to the West about medical applications of their wild cannabis offering an opportunity for research. Haven't heard anything more and I assume his request fell on deaf ears.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There are so many places you could go to, when you think about it, but each one of them can present their own problems that have to be overcome if you are to find the prize, or what you think might be something special, then get it back to the west, thousands of miles away, and then get it tested to see if it is really as good as you had hoped for.

The expense of doing this can range from being relatively cheap, to VERY expensive. Just looking at the cost of getting a Bhutanese visa - you have to pay $250 per-day, just for the pleasure of going there on top of the travel/flight/hotel/food bills you will encounter, and then if you finally manage to get yourself into a situation where-by you can actually buy a kilo of seeds that look worthwhile, a price will have to be negotiated, and that can range from a low price to a very high one.......

Possibly at some point you may be checked/searched and if you have a kilo or two of seeds, then you will need a bloody good excuse not to fall foul of any local cannabis legal/law terror....'Oh yeah these seeds?....well, its my diet, I can only eat these seeds says my Rastafarian Nutritional Consultant, so that's why I carry around all these seeds'....might work, but I doubt it.

Even posting such things as cannabis seeds out of many of these more remote nations is quite an event if you were to do it yourself. Often the mail is checked at the post office as you try to send it and then you might have some difficult questions to answer, there is always some sort of risk, to yourself or just in loosing the package before it even leaves the country.

What has happened with me in the past is that I have made first contact with locals who grow this plant, and if they don't have seeds then and there, make an appointment to either come back when they do have seeds, some time in the future, or even arrange an address where they can post to, then that can give you the opportunity to have a small lot tested before getting more, hopefully of the same kind, once you know that they are indeed interesting at the very least.

Perhaps give these people who say they can get something interesting in seed form the cost of postage for a small package, then hope they don't just go get drunk on the funds.....lol

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Great idea.

Uzbek genes can be quiet interesting.
Def some resin beasts out there.

happy travel's, wish i was going..

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There are many things you have to try and plan for and requirements needed in advance of any trip you might take. Insurance in case of accident and/or loss could prove essential or you could end up in a hospital after taking a fall and be trying to beg relatives or friends to bail you out of the medical costs, or the hospital will remain your prison......which can be very humbling.....a bit too much for most people, so best try and have insurance coverage if you can, you never know when you might need to be airlifted out of a danger zone, so best be insured if you can afford it, some can't even bother to register that it is of importance, but even so, it can get complicated when you find yourself having to pay out-of-pocket FIRST and then applying to the insurance company to be reimbursed at some later date.....if they pay-out on your claim that is......

There are many different types of travel insurance, just find one that might fit all your needs and can give you direct and immediate assistance ...if needs be.

rastapaul

This sounds like a truly fantastic adventure
Good luck and stay safe on your journey and hopefully you find something new and special

Blessings

Ras

Latest posts

Latest posts