What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD for dogs...recipes

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Hey everyone, i have a small little 12 pound dog that im looking at giving CBD to help with arthritis, joint swelling, etc.

Have any of you ever made a CBD tincture for dogs? Ive been looking online but only found premade treats/oils. I have 99.9% CBD isolate that i was hoping to make my own with so any recipes would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Heres my little dude
picture.php

Mukind

On the face of it I'd just plop it on a kraft single

But I've met picky dogs, so you may have to find something he likes better.

Unless imbibing the tincture some how dilutes teh effect, which it might. But I've got to imagine it's easier to dose him that way

R

Rox

Mix it up into a tin of mackeral in sunflower oil & serve mixed into his dry food? I would think most dogs would wolf that down

R

Rox

Just bumping this thread as i recently had some 1:1 thc/cbd bud & i just crumbled it on to my dogs regular food & he ate it... Which surprised me as he turns his nose up at raw bud that's offered to him

Well my boy liked it, he slept well and was more alert\active for a good few days after. Like i put the puppy back in him, Wish i had some more for him:tiphat:

Upon further research i have discovered that raw cbd bud ingested is converted to thc by the stomach acids

guest of late

i have a 16 year old golden retriever. afew years back he started getting arthristis in is joints and tumors in his intestins he could hardle move or eat and that was the begining of the end . i had just aquired a high cbd strain and decided to keep it just for him. what i first started doing was useing exess plant material from veg and early flower (fan leaves and stems) because it was avalible at the time and i figured it might be a good source for cbd in the raw plant material. that being said the first batches were probly the lowes quality cannoil possible, tasted worse then ass but it had immedate and notable effects.
when i tried it didnt get me high but it made me feel well like cbd in general tends too.
recently i started to us rosin chips because rosin chips are said to be already decarbed, high cbd and low thc . this had the same great result. he was able to move and eat and was a spry as a puppy again.

in my experince just about any grade of cannabis material will work. ull just need to detremin the best ratio of material to oil

i found a few diffrent refrences for a temp for decarbing. in general most of them suggested that the longer the exposer and higher temps used it will degrade the thc into cbd at high rates.

i have two recipes i use. both have there perks but something to take into consideration is the dogs taste prefrence. my dog hates weed. the smell the smoke and for the most part the taste.

if i wanna preserve flavors and terpines i decarb the plant material in the oil at 240-250f for 1hour. ths helps retain the aroma therapy properties

when im baking for k9s i general decarb at 280 for 1 hour. the oil generally has that mucky decarb taste but from my personal observations my animals seem to prefer that taste over the actaul taste of weed.

something to keep in mind is that dogs bodies dont matablis thc and most fattys oil very well. less is more when it comes to giving cannabis to animals. there more sensitve and itll stay in there system longer in comparison to us. if u can try not to give it to them every day and try to remove as much thc from ur plant material as you can.

i like to mix 5ml of oil with a spoon full of peanbuter or just add it straight into his wet food. i think the best part is he recognizes it and perks up and is more then happy to take his medicine

guest of late

something else id like to add

the oil can double as a topical. ive noticed improvment in my dogs mobility if i rub the oil on and into his fur/joints. i dont know the exact sciene behind it but animal fur is more sensitive and receptive. he uselly ends up licking a good amount of it off but it doubles as a more direct way for him to consume it

Masterlow

i just melt a little coconut oil, about 20ml, and mix in the cdb oil, and direct injection down my pooches throat...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You'll find better overall results having at least some THC content with the CBD. CBD is rather limited in efficacy when administered alone.

Power to the pooches!

Storm Shadow

Veteran
my dog weighs 9lbs and has been taken 2nd hand rips of everything since she was a puppy.. 8 years later shes a Healthy lil McGruff..... My dog can take Dabs to the Dome and still pimp me for a Steak Dinner

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Had a small dog breed find a pea sized resin ball in a rolling paper. Knocked em out for about 18hrs. Awesome attitude from them for nearly 2 weeks afterward. Gave them the nods something fierce before they passed out though.

I recommend lower THC cannabis for dogs. lol

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We regularly make CBD with coconut oil and helps with older dogs arthritis symptoms. CBD- it's a good anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antibiotic. Glad you are treating your dog.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wouldn't put *any thc in it if I could. If I had to, I'd make sure it was raw and not decarboxilated. Animals have very different reactions to drugs than humans do. My drunken ex wife killed our dog by giving it a Tylenol because it was limping. Her kidneys shut down. It wasn't a small dog either (100lbs).

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't put *any thc in it if I could. If I had to, I'd make sure it was raw and not decarboxilated. Animals have very different reactions to drugs than humans do. My drunken ex wife killed our dog by giving it a Tylenol because it was limping. Her kidneys shut down. It wasn't a small dog either (100lbs).

Oh so TRUE!
CBD hemp in olive or coconut oil. Been treating elder dogs w/ arthritis for several years using 1 TSP two times daily. 1/2 TSP for dogs weighing 10-20 lbs.

Veggia farmer

Is it hard to extract just cbd?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Is it hard to extract just cbd?

I wouldn't say hard, but maybe a little expensive. Short path distillation, CO2 or supercritical extraction. 10k can get you started for small batches.

Start here to make your extract with your coffee machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYMCA_Tg_vk&t=272s

then here to extract your CBD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-HfwJCqTg

Now this is only a demonstration to show you the process. Mind you, the initial extract might be usable.

Montuno

...como el Son...
I don't know anything about the veterinary use of cannabinoids; but your testimonies are surprising.

But that if; for problems of bones and joints in dogs, remember that the chondroprotectors (chondrotine, glucosamine), not only can also relieve them, but even improve them.