What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
In 1936 this innocent image was as American as apple pie. A little girl with her bow and arrow playing in front of the families cannabis plants...

In less then 2 years, descending federal and state agents would legally brandish assault rifles pointed at family members while they tear apart the very 'Fabric of American family', pun intended...

That is if she wasn't shot for having a weapon...

Supposing this is years later... I thought it would be fun to play...

Name Those Felonies?...

leo0388l.jpg

Girl with bow in front of hemp ca. 1936 - Sauk County (Wisconsin) 'Taken at the shack, near Baraboo, Wisconsin.'

geneva_sativa

Greetings and good tidings, Billy !

I love your posts, always unusual, interesting and informative. Those pieces with the guys and cow that ingest dynamite. . . good gawd, man !

Funny, crazy history. Your keen appreciation of the stories from the past, I'm sure, blesses you with all the more insight into our present day world.

Enjoy the day !

g_s

billycw

Veteran
I really appreciate everyone who's following along at home, it makes me a little more like the 'man behind the mask' and a little less then the 'dude over there talking to stuffed animals':biggrin:

New+York+in+the+70s+(2).jpg

'Man in Richard Nixon mask smokes a joint after taking his pants off'. Marijuana Smoke-In and March from Central Park to Washington Square. May 30, 1974

And then you think, "Wait, why did he take off his pants?"

:smoke out:

billycw

Veteran
"I received the warmest of welcomes. It was difficult to think so amiable a man could ever find himself a duellist perforce. Gentle of speech, clear of eye, wondrously steady of hand, spare, lithe, and muscular of body, a man of middle age and ever smiling face, whose brown mustaches were just streaked with grey - that was the man whose challenge to a pistol duel I had accepted."

-1908 challenger to Walter Winans duel

17t8hfz7uvfugjpg.jpg

Bloodless Duel between Dr. Graeme M. Hammond and C.B. Miller - Carnegie Hall gymnasium, March 10, 1909

Wax for Lead

Suiting up in what can only be described as a Victorian Mad Max, pistol wielding duelist go to war...

This duel of gentleman however is to be Bloodless...

17t8hd8kbe970jpg.jpg

Bloodless Duel between Dr. Graeme M. Hammond and C.B. Miller - Carnegie Hall gymnasium, March 10, 1909

Developed by Dr. de Villers in Paris, the sport of bloodless dueling was short lived but badass...

The ordinary dueling pistols would be filled with a bullet with wax and fat replacing the deadly lead...

Predecessor to the paintball, these Victorian paintball duels had all the feel of the deadly duels with little more then your pride that dies as a result...

Duelling-2.jpg

the Parisian Club de Pistolet in Paris, 1905

The Daily democrat., February 02, 1907
bd6a6c9e9f09943ccc12864c958a3914.jpg

billycw

Veteran
17t8hfx8t56crjpg.jpg

The Bloodless Duels became so popular they even made an appearance at the 1908 Olympics in Paris...

"One of the most curious contests at the Olympic Games is the duelling with wax bullets. The combatants are as elaborately protected as a German student duellist, and even the revolver has a large hand-guard. The helmet has a plate-glass window."

17t8ddwydmyinjpg.jpg

Pistol dueling as an associate event at the 1908 London Olympic Games

These bloodless duels didn't always turn out so bloodless, with the match sometimes ending in red drips due to over packed charges behind the wax...

During a interview and mock bloodless duel with a reporter, Walter Winans accidentally shot the hand of the reporter with a over packed charge...

Walter Winans retelling of the event
"When I first tried it several years ago, I shot out the soft piece of flesh connecting the thumb and forefinger of the right hand of M. Gustave Voulquin, the well-known sports writer; and he tells me it still pains him when he has a lot of writing to do."

Along with the very real possibility of a lead bullet, this incident shook the confidence of more then a few participants in this new "sport" like this article from a hesitant reporter in the newspapers in 1908...

Star - newspaper article, June 27, 1908
default.gif

17t8hg360uutjjpg.jpg

1908 bloodless dueling pistols

It would be almost 80 years before you could again safely shoot your friends in a bloodless duel...

If we only followed history, the times we could have had...

Friends, check, Mad Max gear, check, Dueling pistols, check, wax bullets, check, Now...

"Fill your hands, you son of a bitch"

tumblr_m0e1n9hTSf1qbno3ao2_1280.jpg

Mr W. Bean, Captain MacDonnell & Sir Cosmo Duff Gordon posing with bloodless dueling equipment at the Bartitsu Club 1907

billycw

Veteran
Lyster Dewey, with a scoop devised for "threshing" hemp seed from individual selections. c.1919

PHO-10May13-224116.jpg

Picture of Lyster Dewey threshing hemp in his personal journal found at a yard sale. c.1919

billycw

Veteran
cult01.jpg

Asamaki: sowing hemp in late April, Miasa Mura, Japan 1944

"...before the red of apple buds become a sign in the low orchards, or the high song of the thrush is pouring forth far away at wet pale-green sunsets, the sower, the earliest sower of the hemp, goes forth into the fields."

James Allen, 1900 -from The Reign of Law: A Tale of the Kentucky Hemp Fields

cult02.jpg

Mabiki (thin out) hemp. 10-14 days after germination, Again 7-10 days after first time. Miasa Mura, Japan 1944

2177_man_planting_corn.jpg

Photo of a man sowing seed in the community garden which supplies fresh vegetables to twenty-eight families, Delta cooperative farms, Hillhouse, Mississippi, June 1937

billycw

Veteran
"Now a third smoke … a fourth. This time my hands feel huge, my feet miles away. I’m afraid to step out of the chair. A small downward step is like a deep plunge into a dark abyss.

That’s the danger point. I wish I could stop smoking, but I can’t. Suddenly I feel I’m soaring around the room. I spot a small vase and plunge into it. I swim around. Then I’m choking and frantically fight my way up for air. Finally I crawl out, gasping."

-Authors quote from Mechanix Illustrated: Apr, 1949

Hot Rod Riot Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjgY427qW8

[YOUTUBEIF]jVjgY427qW8[/YOUTUBEIF]

'It started off super positive then it just got crazy'...

Funny reefer madness type article in 1949 from April's 'Mechanix Illustrated'. I love the term "Tea Pad" referring to a smoke friendly house... Fun read from this floating lily...

Mechanix Illustrated: Article from Apr, 1949
mechanix50a.jpg

xlg_marijuana_0.jpg

xlg_marijuana_1.jpg

That pictures so good!!!!

Say billy...I vaguely recall reading 10 years ago about a sect of Buddhist monks (Tibetan?) That would use a pipe with 5 bowls. The main bowl being cannabis. The other 4 containing tobacco oleander opium and datura. There was a man on tribe.net researching and writing about it. I've tried for the life of me to find this again or any material related but have come up short. If you ever want a path to walk down perhaps you could find something?

Random request...I'm entertained, grateful, and as always humbled by your thread regardless. Peace!

billycw

Veteran
When I say 'a Buddhist Flapper', I'm sure many would picture a 1920's beauty in some themed photo shoot...

db009c7449fbda60503456ccd8914f40.jpg

1920 'Buddhist Flapper'

Humane Hemp

Although the mind does paint a pretty picture of a 'Buddhist flapper' also known as a 'Hossu', real life truths are just as intriguing with a much deeper meaning...

What's a Hossu?

A Zen Buddhist priest wanting to practice and show the ultimate compassion to animals, would use a Hossu or 'flapper' to shoo away fly's and flying insects without harming them.

A Hossu is made of a short staff of wood or bamboo (sometimes with intricate weaving) topped with horse hair or hemp. The horse hair or in some cases hemp would softly and safely shoo the flying creatures away without harm...

Hemp helping humans show compassion... Love it!

d54270b9a0d3a25204dca13907512917.jpg

Hand-colored photo of a Buddhist priest. 1880’s, Japan. Photographer unknown

The hossu is regarded as symbolic of a Zen master's authority to teach and transmit Buddha Dharma to others, and is frequently passed from one master to the next.

It is also believed that the hossu will also protect the wielder from desire, although I know some ladies that will get all riled up if you start waving hemp around...

Hossu with Hemp weave on handle, Japanese Buddhist Hossu from pre1940 Japan.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

ba464e2798b816393c152f6da03e3cdb.jpg

About 1890's. This is a photograph from an album by Usui Shuzaburo. The caption written in pencil says, "Japanese Priest." The priest is wearing a "kesa" robe with white "tabi" socks and is holding a "hossu" brush.

Latest posts

Latest posts