What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Myth, Legend, and Lore: Fact or Fiction?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Maybe a plant can on occasion stay alive without intervention for more than one season in the tropics? Have you seen this Donald?

G `day NH

I don`t believe there is perennial cannabis .
Had a few guys who are major bull shitters try to convince me other wise over the years . 20 Foot Thai being one of them .

My exp ;
A year + and 3-4 harvests from real thin leaf plants .
Planted in autumn harvested Spring . Reveged naturally then harvested again in autumn then again in late winter . Petered out and were disease prone on the last crop .

On a NE slope . No frosts and all day sun . At 20 + degrees south of the equator . Always just took the mature tops and left the lower growth .

I think the longer days outside the tropics aids reveg . Less insects and plant pathogen outside the tropics too . The dry and coolness of winter slows them down .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

insomniac_AU

G `day I

Yep that myth made it to Australia too .
Along with burying harvested herb makes it stronger ...

Thank goodness for Mel frank , Ed Rosenthal and RC Clarke .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I am Australian too! Perhaps the same guy told you. :)
Even though I was young I never bothered trying it. I've found if something smells like shit and looks like shit you don't usually have to taste it...

G `day NH

I don`t believe there is perennial cannabis .
Had a few guys who are major bull shitters try to convince me other wise over the years . 20 Foot Thai being one of them .

My exp ;
A year + and 3-4 harvests from real thin leaf plants .
Planted in autumn harvested Spring . Reveged naturally then harvested again in autumn then again in late winter . Petered out and were disease prone on the last crop .

On a NE slope . No frosts and all day sun . At 20 + degrees south of the equator . Always just took the mature tops and left the lower growth .

I think the longer days outside the tropics aids reveg . Less insects and plant pathogen outside the tropics too . The dry and coolness of winter slows them down .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
I believe your latitude and aspect may be the sweet spot to allow this to happen, plus planting in autumn. Further from the equator the winter may be too cold with too few sunlight hours. Cheers

If I was on a cold mountain I would want to numb my body and if I was in Africa I want to run from lions really fast.

A little rudimentary of a description but you see my direction.
not even meth will make you outrun a lion :biggrin:

its the females you gotta worry about, males are just for dominance, females catch the food

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Maybe a plant can on occasion stay alive without intervention for more than one season in the tropics? Have you seen this Donald?
yes i have ,
but the one i had last around 18 months ,
was bent to the ground ,
and had started another root system from the stem further up from the original ,
which had died , i guess due to age ..

but certainly not perennial by any means ,
i have doubt over the stories ive heard of them lasting year after year ,
i dont believe they can , its an annual ......

xet

A bit of Lore: Soils like Fox Farm and Happy Frog were not designed for seed-starting but were originally designed, on purpose or by demand of the market, for adding to gardens with stable roots like a bad garden bed or a new clone.

Reasoning: Seeds prefer a pastier, or stickier, soil like a dark loamy farm soil.

Additional lore a farm friend of mine told me to back the Reasoning a bit in his words: "You should be able to place the soil in your hand and squeeze the soil in your hand and it sticks together for up to 8 inches one end to the other.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Donald Mallard is correct:
"but certainly not perennial by any means ,
i dont believe they can , its an annual "......

I have had clones that lived for 25+ years but they were in constant veg,
once a Cannabis plant flowers they normally die, males absolutely, females in 99.9999% of the cases.
The Equator does not have over 13 hrs of light in a day at anytime of the year, down to just over 11 Hrs it is not the correct photoperiod to allow a flowered plant to regenerate Veg growing. Same with the north America photoperiod summer no problem keeping veg but the rest of the year, they will flower and die.

Ask the people that believe in perennial Cannabis if they have seen any autos that were perennial? Autos can't even be cloned and regenerated veg, Autos are time determinate not photoperiod determinate and impossible to keep maintained veg, they will flower and die, unless you know of special methods like I discovered where you reduce the plant to Callus keep it In Vitro make new plantlets from the Callus and grow them until flowered.
You can't work against the basic nature of Cannabis, an annual, you can work around it like maintaing clones in veg for 25 years.

-SamS

CaptainDankness

How about that perennial cannabis ??

myth or legend ????

Yeah, definitely a myth. I did have one guy trying to convince me that there is a plant in India by some temple, thats been growing for a hundred years or so, yet I found nothing about it through Google. You'd think something like that would be easy to find out about.

Of course there was a website claiming to sell GMO seeds that would constantly grow flowers. Just don't know anyone dumb enough to spend thousands on a seed of it. Lol

yes i have ,
but the one i had last around 18 months ,
was bent to the ground ,
and had started another root system from the stem further up from the original ,
which had died , i guess due to age ..

but certainly not perennial by any means ,
i dont believe they can , its an annual ......
why "its an annual" if it doesnt seed and doesnt die due to frost or whatever, WHAT WOULD KEEP IT FROM GROWING LIKE NOTHING ELSE MATTERS?

nothing.

xet

Earth worms eat live seeds and plants.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8694000/8694377.stm
Csn't get the link to work .. try this https://www.google.com/search?num=4...64.psy-ab..1.4.233.0..0j0i131k1.0.k0Wl2lXrArQ
Has a worm ever eaten your seeds? @#$_ better leave my seeds alone >;(

Earthworms eat seeds and seedlings, scientists have found.

The discovery they eat live rather than just dead plants will change the way we think about earthworms, which had been thought to benefit plants by recycling soil nutrients.

It may offer a way for gardeners and farmers to encourage more earthworms into their soil, for example.

But it also means invasive earthworms could be reducing populations of plants in once pristine soils.

Confirmation that earthworms feed on living plants is published in the journal Soil Biology and Biochemistry by Dr Nico Eisenhauer of the Georg-August-University Göttingen in Germany.
With colleagues, Dr Eisenhauer made the discovery studying the behaviour of Lumbricus terrestris, an anecic earthworm that inhabits soils around the world.

Originating in Europe, the worm occurs in grasslands, agricultural fields and forests and is invading soils across the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Previous studies have shown that some earthworms will swallow plant seeds, while others appear to collect seeds, burying them in their burrows.

But it was not clear why, whether the earthworms were actually seeking rotting seeds, or whether they derived any nutritional benefit from the habit.

So Dr Eisenhauer set up a series of experiments to find out, offering earthworms housed in the lab a selection of food, including seeds and seedlings from different plant species.

The results were startling.

The earthworms selectively fed on slow-germinating, nitrogen-rich seeds and seedlings, actively ingesting the plant material, killing the young plant.

Earthworms allowed to feed on live plants gained weight, and their performance would vary depending on what plants they were offered, such as legumes or grasses, suggesting they do derive nutritional benefits from such a diet.

"However, the most convincing evidence is the change in the N15 signature in earthworm tissue," Dr Eisenhauer told the BBC.

Compared to grasses, legumes generally have lower levels of a isotope of nitrogen called N15, due to the way they fix nitrogen from the air.

When the researchers examined the ratio of N15 within the tissue of earthworms offered legume seeds, it decreased significantly, demonstrating that earthworms feed upon, and prefer, legume seeds and seedlings.

"It was somewhat surprising that we could detect the signature of legumes in plant tissue," says Dr Eisenhauer.

Earthworms' taste for seeds and seedlings could alter the way we think about both the worms, and plant communities.

Earthworms play a fundamental role in nutrient cycling, and in most contexts cannot be regarded as pests of plants, says Dr Eisenhauer.

In agricultural or horticultural settings, farmers or gardeners may even be able to use certain seeds to encourage more earthworms into their soil.

But is some parts of the world, they may pose a previously unrecognised problem.

"They are invading several regions previously devoid of earthworms such as northern North America," says Dr Eisenhauer.

Studies have already shown this can cause the extinction of some plant species, and Dr Eisenhauer's research provides one explanation why.

"The finding that earthworms function as seedling predators highlights the necessity to prevent the further anthropogenic spread of exotic earthworms," he says.

sources:
Earthworms as seedling predators: Importance of seeds and seedlings for earthworm nutrition

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038071710001446

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Sam

How about the colour of light and nute combinations that effect sex ratios ?
More males in winter ?

I say BS sex is determined at pollination .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

xet

Please Elmer do not send me negative rep for posting a scientific article telling me I am "Talkin' Rubbish" Seriously?

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Please Elmer do not send me negative rep for posting a scientific article telling me I am "Talkin' Rubbish" Seriously?

G `day Xet

I apologise , though when I gave your post a down vote it did not have the scientific article attached .

Last edited by xet; 06-17-2018 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: link fix

You edited your post and added the quote . After I neg repped it ... So I didn`t neg rep your scientific study

Therefore I didn`t have the information to form my opinion . I appreciated the quoted study .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sex is determined in the seed at the time of pollination, sex is determined by genetics, it is easy to alter sex expression but you do not alter the genetics of sex.
Some people mix up feminized seed production, that use a female that has been alter to express male sex for a short time, with the actual sex as determined by genetics, but if a transformed female that is expressing male sex for pollen production is tested for sex using DNA it will test as a female or as not male anyway. (There are tests for males)
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do seeds have a stronger will to survive than clones?

All clones started as a seed.

Maybe ask if a seedling is maintained in veg under long light will it survive any longer then a clone of the same variety maintained under long light, NO, not that I have seen.
How do you test for will to survive??? I test for vigor and pest and disease resistance, and many other traits and factors, but will to survive? Please explain how this is determined?
-SamS

xet

All clones started as a seed.

Maybe ask if a seedling is maintained in veg under long light will it survive any longer then a clone of the same variety maintained under long light, NO, not that I have seen.
How do you test for will to survive??? I test for vigor and pest and disease resistance, and many other traits and factors, but will to survive? Please explain how this is determined?
-SamS

Will a large plant started from seed survive more abuse than a plant that formed as a clone?

Here is another interesting thing to consider: in an outdoor climate with many chaotic variables what if a plant is cloned and the subsequent plant is cloned and this process repeats numerous times over years.

Does epi-genetics apply here resulting in a stronger "more experienced" plant assuming it's food and light quality remains satisfactory?

Latest posts

Latest posts