What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tagging Clones for identification Writing on MJ with Magic Markers

B

bongoie

Cool thread lola , load's of great tip's . Thank's all
I'd be worried about that sharpie ink wiping off , i know there called permenent marker's , but in reality there not , And on a leaf ..
I'd reckon the ink is only toxic while drying , as that's when it smell's .
Also that leaf could fall off :2cents: maybe mark the stem with a band of ink or two .
I have tried the different coloured pot idea and found it a pain when you run out of green ones , know whot i mean . Also marked the pot with permenent marker , which confuses again when reusing them again .

Just thinking there = different coloured stickers on top of a toothpick

grow1620

I am glad to hear somebody has used a magic marker on a plant, and it did not rub off or kill the plant. Thanks.

I never noticed any ill effects to the plants or any damage to the area that I marked.... I marked on the stem just below the buds I pollinated. It lasted well over 8 weeks and started to fade a little towards the end, I think it was mostly due to uv light (outside) and me occasionally touching the marked areas while inspecting the seeds. I spoze that I could have just remarked if fading became an issue. Also these were more mature plants almost 2 feet tall, not clones...I would guess that it would be safe for clones too but they are a little more sensitive to all things, so keep a close eye.

L

LolaGal

I like the idea about painting the toothpicks.

That got me thinking about using nail polish to mark the toothpicks.

then that got me to thinking, Hey, why not just paint some nail polish on the stem of the new clone?

That might work too.

But writing on the leaf with magic marker is easy.

Just put your finger under the leaf and write away. No problems at all. Very easy to do.

If the Sharpie don't work, will try the nail polish idea.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
In one of the many esbe threads i've seen writing on the big fan leaves, it looked like a regular pen or pencil

ArcticBlast

opt1c

Veteran
colored toothpicks right up against the stems is my vote for peat pellets; you could also wrap a piece of masking tape around the toothpick to make a little flag to write on if you felt so inclined

WeedChuck

I strip down bundled phone wire. the kind that have several multiple colored wires inside. I snip each diffrent color down to about 1/2 inch and simply wrap it around the stem half way up the plant somewhere. Each plant/strain is rep by color wire tags.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Leaves can fall off, stems do not....my outdoor plants are marked on the stems once they get big, no problems or lost tags...

For Indoors or smaller plants, chop up some 3" or 4" squares of white plastic, eg carrier bag or growroom white/black/white....make a hole in the middle with a larger X to allow for growth, write with permanent marker and slip it over the stem when young/taking the cutting.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I use white electrical tape, I'll fold a piece in half lengthwise, wrap it around the stem, and use another piece of tape to attach the 2 ends together and make a "flag". I'll then write on that tape, with strain name and date clone was taken with a sharpie. I'll post some pics later. :wave:

yeah, I tried those toothpicks w/different colored plastic "tufts" (ie cocktail toothpicks). I was even using peat pellets, but I stopped shortly after starting. The toothpicks in that humid of an environment got all moldy. Black spots at first, then they would get a grey, fuzzy mold if they were not pulled. I started using smaller flats w/humidity domes and rubbermaid plastic shoe boxes, that way you can have all of the same variety in it's own container.
Good Luck,
as

Norrath

when i clip my clones from my bonsai moms i put them into dixie cups willed with water and a big bold label of what kind they are...THEN....
i took two pictures of my pre-op that should describe how i go about things.(saddest looking clones ive ever had, i shit you not. infact i dont know why i didnt take a picture of the other dome filled with better looking ones*shifty eyes*, self destructive:p)
picture.php

picture.php

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
This is how I do my labels, not perfect, as strong winds can catch them when young and pull them off, if you do not weigh them down, but within a week or two, they cannot go anywhere, fall out or get pulled off.

Bulk quantities of identical clones I just do with a unique coloured plastic carrier bag and gmail myself notes on what it all means....

At the bottom, 1 square... fold into a quarter... cut a diagonal and it's corner off, done in seconds....

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
zip ties on the main stem with a waterproof tag will stay forever and not leave the plant until you remove it.

Also those trash bag twisty ties work great as well.

writing ON THE plant, nope don't see that working for me.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
d_2925.jpg

gonna mention these again. they're cheaper than shit, dont take as much room as a plant lable that can range from 5/8'' - 1'', mine usually come with a white in the package too so like i was saying you have 7 strains or pheno's you can mark. goes in the rockwool easy, non toxic and they wont mold in humid conditions..

just my 2cents