What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ratios of (real) raw ingredients to be added to soil mix

Im making a soil mix but instead of adding processed amendments (ie: blood, bone, kelp) I’ve decided to add raw shrimp shells, fish bones, seaweed or whatever and let compost together

The question is I’m trying to figure out in what quantities to add my raw ingredients

Example for 100 gallons

80 galllons soil mix
5 gallons shrimp shells
5 gallons crushed fish bone
10 gallons seaweed

Mix and let compost

Any other ideas on ratios???

I wood

interesting idea.

You could dry a small amount of each, weighing before and after to get an approximation of water content. Then do some math to match wet weights to dry rates from a know soil recipe.
The shrimp and fish bone would have small, even negligible amounts of water i would guess.
The seaweed would be mostly water, I’m basing this on experience drying other plants. pot plants are about 75% water when first cut. Rinsing the seaweed would be a very important step to avoid too much salt being added.
Mixing a batch with too low inputs would be much easier to deal with than one with too heavy inputs, so to error on the low side would be a good idea in my opinion.
Looking forward to hearing about your results.
Good luck.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's in the soil mix? And how long are you letting this breakdown?

soil mix could be whatever you like. i personally do 2-2-1 peat-perlita-composta but for this process i would not add compost only the 50/50 peat perlita .. add to the 50/50 mix whatever you want your soil to have in it fish scraps banana peels bones etc etc and then follow your preferred compost method when done i add some imo4 and lab... and let sit another 7 days

pot up and water only grow

hardest part is getting the ratios rate hence my post

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would look at the many soil recipes posted in this subforum, find the nutrient value of you inputs and compare. The amendments are a bit more varied to include all macro/micros.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I doubt your "soil mix" will have enough critters in it to break down those raw ingredients quickly, it's possible perhaps but there are more effective ways to harvest the nutes in the fish by products.

Check out the Korean organic technology.

I doubt your "soil mix" will have enough critters in it to break down those raw ingredients quickly, it's possible perhaps but there are more effective ways to harvest the nutes in the fish by products.

Check out the Korean organic technology.

if im making imo4 and lab chances are I've heard of biofertilizer "korean organic technology" haha anyway its composting so yes will be a few months.. anyway i dont think your understanding i get that i can have bottles of faa fpj ffj calphos whatever i would prefer to mix everything raw and let compost all together for a water only soil... i don't care if it takes a year

Latest posts

Latest posts