What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bangi Haze STD, AutoMalawi FEM, and some others.

vcasqui

Greetings, growers.

So, this season I'm growing this:

ACE Seeds:
3x Bangi Haze Standard (BH) (3/3 did germinate and sprout)
2x AutoMalawi (AM) (2/2 did germinate and sprout)

Sweet Seeds:
3x Sweet Tai (ST) (5/7 did germinate and 3/5 sprout)
2x Botafumeiros (BF) (5/7 did germinate and 2/5 sprout)

Buddha Seeds:
1x Pulsar (1/1 did germinate and sprout)

So far I'm a little bit dissapointed with the low germination/sprout rate of the Sweet Tai and Botafumeiros, but I got them at a heavy discounted price, so I guess I was kinda specting something like that (that's why I bought a pack of 7 of each)(not saying Sweet Seeds did a bad job BTW. Maybe it was the storage conditions of the growshop I bought them in, or maybe it was me). The ACE seeds genetics are really good in those terms, as always, with 100% germination/sprout rate over the last 3 years (this is the 4th year with ACE genetics).

Summary of their first days of life:

I germinated 2xST and 2xBF and then they went into soil. Out of this first batch, only 1xST survived. Then I germinated the other 5 of each + 1xPulsar, and ended up with a total of 3xST, 2xBF and 1xPulsar.

A couple days later I got the BH's and AM's (thanks to ACE for the fast delivering). All of them survived the germination/sprouting process.

Sadly tho, the majority of June has been pretty shitty in terms of weather; Rainy and cold, with lots of clouds. We only had 3 or 4 sunny days, and even those had clouds mixed in. Temps are around 22-24ºC max and 9-11ºC min; with the majority of the days hovering around 14-17ºC. They spend their nights inside my room for the moment, while they are small at least.

It looks like the next days of June will be pretty shitty too. Let's hope this situation changes soon enough, because it's not beneficial at all for the Autoflowering ones, mainly.

I did not water them for the moment. The rain was more than enough.

Goals and Hopes for the season:
- Start with 1L pots. Transplant to 5L and then to 17L (maybe I'll do one or two 1l->7L->25L).
- Perform an acceptable LST to some of the plants
- Not allow them to dry too much when the really high temps come; Last year I almost kill 3 Queen Mothers because of this.
- Try to find the right levels of cal/mag, since I'm using tap water that comes out at 25-33ppm. Last year I had some problems with this early on.
- Ideally (hopefully) I will get one male from the BH's, so I can experiment with recolecting and storing pollen, and then polinate the females.
- Harvest in the 10 first days of Novemeber, max.
- Update this thread once or twice a month.

I think I have covered pretty much everything I wanted to say. Of course, since we are in the ACE subforum, I will keep the thread focused in the ACE genetics; but I figured you might be interested in the first steps of the whole grow, for comparison or just curiosity.

Now I'll leave you with some pics.
I wish you a nice and happy season.

Pd: As you can see in the pics, 1xST and 1xBF are not developing as fast as they should, comparing them to the others.

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 30
  • bf+p.jpg
    bf+p.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 35
  • st.jpg
    st.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
  • today.jpg
    today.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 25

vcasqui

Since I have time today, It's a good time for an update.

The plants are looking pretty good overall, with the exception of the sad BF and sad ST (BF2 and ST3), that are developing poorly. Also, I feel like the two AutoMalawis and the BH2 are a little bit yellowish, and I wish the AutoMalawis were developing a little bit faster (maybe giving them 25L pots was a little bit of an overkill).

The Pulsar and the ST2 are really similar in structure and smell, to the point I'm starting to think I got the seeds mixed. They smell really good, like they are already in flowering :O. I wouldn't know how to describe it; I guess it's kind of skunky, the typical Marihuana odour that is strong and pugnent.

I transplanted the ST1 to a 6lt pot a couple days ago, when she was 17 days old. I will transplant the ST2, BF1 and Pulsar later today, at 15 days old. Hopefully the BH's will be ready to transplant this next week.

The weather has been kind since the last time, with acceptable amounts of sun. Next week is not looking too good tho; cloudy days with high chance of rain.

The plants had their first watering; 1ml/L Cal-max, 1ml/L root stimulant and 1ml/L Plagron Pure Zym.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• nextweek.jpg
    nextweek.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 30
  • AutoMalawiFB - 12 days.jpg
    AutoMalawiFB - 12 days.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 31
  • AutoMalawi - 12days.jpg
    AutoMalawi - 12days.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 29
  • All 16Jun - 2.jpg
    All 16Jun - 2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 34
  • All 16Jun - names.jpg
    All 16Jun - names.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 33

vcasqui

More pics:

I will update again when I transplant the BH's, or if something "major" happens.

Cheers. :tiphat:

Edit: Btw, this next week I will buy PH and EC meters. I really want to know what I'm doing with my plants, the last two years I did things "blindly" and I want to change that.

Attachments

• Sweet Tai - 15&19 days.jpg
    Sweet Tai - 15&19 days.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Botafumeiros & Pulsar - 15days.jpg
    Botafumeiros & Pulsar - 15days.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bangi Haze - 12 days.jpg
    Bangi Haze - 12 days.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

vcasqui

Well, I'm updating way more than I said I would, but I just made a little bubblehash with some trimming I had. It's my first time doing it, and even tho it's quite a bit of work, I think it was worth.

The trimming was from BangiHaze, Malawi, and PCK x Kali China that spent 3 years in my freezer, as well as some 2 years old QueenMother. I don't know the amount of leafs that went in, or the final hash weight. But I feel like the return amount was acceptable, and I think I could have easily done a third wash.

I still have some trim left in the freezer, PCK x Kali China green and purple phenos, 3 years old as well. I will make more hash with that tomorrow or the day after.

TBH, my expectations were quite low, because the trim didn't smell too good. It was pretty much like mashed leafs. But now, in hash form, it smells much better; and it is quite sticky and oily (pretty sure the oily part comes from the BangiHaze, that plant was really oily). I'm happy with the result so far, but it's nothing spectacular compared with the hash from other people.

For the bad part, I already fucked it up a little bit. I left the wet hash near the router for just an hour, and now some parts are weird. Half dry, half wet, and kind of hard. You can maybe see what I mean in the 4th pic. I will let it air dry for 3 days or so. And I learned the lesson for the next batch.

Pics (sorry for the quality, It's not easy to focus the camera)

Attachments

• bubblewater.jpg
    bubblewater.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 25+45.jpg
    25+45.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
  • fuckedup. Dried 45.jpg
    fuckedup. Dried 45.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190617_204313.jpg
    IMG_20190617_204313.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks vcasqui for including ACE genetics for your 2019 outdoor grow, much appreciated :)

The bubble hash from trimmed leaves from previous season should be a nice smoke after a few weeks of dehydration. Enjoy it! ;)

vcasqui

Thanks vcasqui for including ACE genetics for your 2019 outdoor grow, much appreciated :)

The bubble hash from trimmed leaves from previous season should be a nice smoke after a few weeks of dehydration. Enjoy it! ;)

Few weeks? Ok, I'll give it time. Thanks for the tip.

Have you ever tried making dry ice hash?

No. I don't really grow to make extractions. I just made the bubble hash because now it comes the summer, and the freezer needs to be full of Ice Cream instead of 3 years old marihuana leaves haha.

squatty

I only mentioned the dry ice hash because you said bubble hash was quite a bit of work. I've never made bubble hash but have made dry ice hash a few times. It may not be as efficient but it seemed pretty easy and quick. Enjoy!

vcasqui

Alright, some interesting news I have.

Just when I was writing this update I wnt to take a couple of pics, and I found something that was not there yesterday. Two of the three "Bangi Hazes" started to develop preflowers. I don't think this should be happening, and that's why I think I really fucked up. You see, I have 2 Automalawis, and I have 2 plants that are starting to develop preflowers at almost 30days old... mmmm.... interesting... So, I think I mixed the seeds...

This wouldn't really be a problem, but the fact is that I intentionally delayed the transplant of the "Bangi Hazes" because I was really ahead of schedule and I didn't want to have plants that were too big. Specially if I get the same pheno as the last BH I had, which had a really strong smell from mid flower onwards. So, if I mixed the seeds, that means that the two automalawis were 20 days in 1L pots, and then they were transplanted to 6L pots... yeah... they will be small as fuck. I don't know If I should transplant them to a bigger pot now, or just leave them alone and let them do their thing in peace.

But this also raises two more problems:
- If I have BH's in the 25L pots, they should grow more than I want them to. I don't care too much about this, except for the possibility of rootbound issues in flowering.
- The Bangis are standard; If one of them (or even worse, both of them) end up being male, this season is pretty much lost for me.

If we don't count these huge mistakes, I'm doing pretty good :wallbash:

I don't know... I'll just post some pics and go to bed soon. I will think about it tomorrow, I don't have enough mental energy right now.

First two: Pics from the "BangiHaze" root system in transplant day.
3rd: group pic.
Last two: Shitty quality preflower pic. Hopefully you will be able to see.

Attachments

• preflowers2.jpg
    preflowers2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 28
  • preflowers1.jpg
    preflowers1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 24
  • group_pic.jpg
    group_pic.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bh_root_tranplant2.jpg
    bh_root_tranplant2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 30
  • bh_root_tranplant.jpg
    bh_root_tranplant.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 29

vcasqui

More pics. Keep in mind that they are named BH and AM, but they might not be those ones.

As you can see, the "BH's" are a little bit yellow, because they spent 20 days in a 1l pot with no additional nutes, only calmag.

See you guys.

Attachments

• bh1.jpg
    bh1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
  • bh2.jpg
    bh2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
  • bh3.jpg
    bh3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 26
  • am.jpg
    am.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
  • am_fb.jpg
    am_fb.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 28

vcasqui

Hey guys, how are you doing? I'm sure you are all doing ok.

Just some pics before the last transplant. I will try to make a more detailed update in a few days, but the plants did grow quite a bit since the last update (around 15-20 days).

I was not able to keep the plants in the 6lt pots completely green, the lower leafs are yellow and about to drop. But they don't look too bad in general.

The two BH in the 25lt pots are completely fine. Green and extremely bushy. I need to make the decision of keeping them in those pots their entire life, or transplant to 45lt a little bit before flowering. Chances are I will keep them in 25lt for various reasons.

That's all for now.
:tiphat:

Attachments

• st,bf,pulsar 2.jpg
    st,bf,pulsar 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30
  • st,bf,pulsar.jpg
    st,bf,pulsar.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 32
  • bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 19
  • AM_fb.jpg
    AM_fb.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 18
  • am.jpg
    am.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 31

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui :)

Thanks for the update, your terrace is looking green :D
and plants seem to love the transplants, your good cares and the great climate we have here in our country to grow our beloved plant.

Both Auto Malawi x NL plants are looking very uniform, they look almost like clones.
Try to feed the autos generously until maturation.

The Bangi Hazes and the other non auto strains are looking great as well.
Are all the BH females ?

vcasqui

Hi vcasqui :)

Thanks for the update, your terrace is looking green :D
and plants seem to love the transplants, your good cares and the great climate we have here in our country to grow our beloved plant.

Both Auto Malawi x NL plants are looking very uniform, they look almost like clones.
Try to feed the autos generously until maturation.

The Bangi Hazes and the other non auto strains are looking great as well.
Are all the BH females ?

Hey dubi, thanks for the kind words. Indeed we have had a really good July in terms of weather, maybe even a little bit too hot for a terrace; the plants demand water every day, usually even 2 times a day.

And yes, the Automalawis pretty much look, smell and feel the same. The only difference is that the AM_fb (fb stands for freebie) is a little bit taller, with a more pronounced lateral branching. I'm really happy with them so far, I'll be running them next year as well (or maybe a new auto sativa-leaning ACE release? :chin:)

The BH are all standard, if that's what you are asking. In my latitude (43n), they usually start to flower around the last 10 days of August (more or less), so I will know by then. Or is there any other way to check the sex before that?

By the way, is there any difference between the "2019 standard BH" and the "2016 feminized BH"?. The ones from this year seem to have a more "robust" structure with bigger leafs. They are growing better than the ones I had in 2016, but I'm not sure if the high will be in the same "wave" (if that makes any sense).

Saludos!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui,

You are right, with the summer and so many heat waves the outdoor conditions are getting very hot here for the plants being grown in small pots in a sunny terrace.
Looks like this week is starting very hot too.

Glad you are satisfied with how the Auto Malawi x NLs are working in your garden :)
Next year we will release Auto Zamaldelica, which has better sativa qualities, stronger potency and more refined terpenes than Auto Malawi x NL. A few growers are already growing with great success the new Auto Zamaldelica from the R+D section of our website.

Bangi Haze is a quite inbred line, therefore she is quite uniform, but a regular and a feminized release of the same strain can never be exactly the same, as different parental plants are involved for the seed production of each format.

In this case, Bangi Haze feminized version is (since 2016) Bangi Haze mother 25 x Bangi Haze mother 29 (reversed), while Bangi Haze current regular release contains mixed seeds coming from both Bangi Haze mothers 25 and 29, pollinated by our selected Bangi Haze male. I don't think i will change the genetic composition of both formats (unless i can do another big selection of the strain and i can find better plants than the current ones), as i'm very happy with the current outcome of both formats.

vcasqui

ok ok, thanks for the info. I did imagine that they were somewhat different; I think I did read at some point (a couple years ago maybe?) that the Golden Tiger fem had completely different parents than the standard version, and hence my doubts about the BH.

Yeahhh, AutoZamaldelica! I will try her for sure if she gets released before June :woohoo: .

And talking about the R+D section, this year I was about to get the "Orient Express sativa feno x Bangi Haze F29", It looks like a really good cross in my mind. But I really wanted the chance to get a male to learn a little bit about pollinating if possible, so I just went with the regular BH.

This season is not even over yet, but I already want the next one to start!

vcasqui

I've got some BH going this year too.
Very excited to try this.

What do they smell like?

This a very difficult question for me. I'm not good at describing aromas, and it also depends on many other variables: the time of the day, the temperature, if it rained or not... so take my words with a grain of salt.

BH#2: This one smells very good. Kind of herbaceous with coffe-like undertones; sometimes she hits me with a similar aroma to the bubblehash I made. Not too strong of an odour, but clearly noticeable.

BH#1 and BH#3: Both have a very similar smell. More herbaceus than anything else I'd say; they also have the coffe undertones, but less pronounced. Very mild odour.

That's what I can come up with. Probably not a very accurate description, but I tried hehe.

Btw, I did transplant all the plants that were in the 6lt pots (except the autos) to 17lt pots. I also moved the non-ace strains to another spot, so these are the last pics of the whole garden together. Update with more details and pics in the next few days, but they are huge in comparison with last year.

Cheers.

Attachments

• wholegarden.jpg
    wholegarden.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • wholegarden2.jpg
    wholegarden2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 27

HerbBert

Nice grow vcasqui

I hope for something like your automalawi next year

I look forward to more updates from you :)

vcasqui

Hello HerbBert, thank you. It's not gonna be difficult to have Automalawis like mine; they were 20 days in 1lt pots and then they were transplanted to 7lt pots, so yours can be bigger with ease!

My PC has been giving me lots of trouble (still is). My main SO it's not working, so I've lost some things I wanted to share.

Today I will post pics and some info of all the plants. I will start with the non-ace strains, since I won't be posting many more pictures of them for the rest of the season. Next will be the Automalawis, and I will finish with the Bangi Hazes.

The first thing I want to say is that this year my plants are huge (for my standarts), maybe a little bit too much even.

Here you can see a comparisson between last year and this year; the plants are in the trunk of a car because I usually move some of the plants to another location, and this year the ones I moved are the non-ace ones.

So, in the next couple of hours I will be updating the thread. Let's begin.

Attachments

• coche.jpg
    coche.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 18
  • coche_pasado.jpg
    coche_pasado.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 20

vcasqui

Alright, starting with the non-ace strains. The pictures were taken late at night, that's why they are a little bit sad; they were supossed to be sleeping, but that was the only time I could do the transplant, so it is what it is.

They were transplanted from 6lt to 17lt pots, so now they have much more space for the root to develop. As you can see, they are a little bit yellow still.

The pics were taken around one week ago, so you can imagine they are even bigger now, to the point I had to tie down the lateral branches, and pretty much break the central ones to a 90º angle. I'm having problems to keep them short; it's the first year I'm running out of vertical AND horizontal space.

The root system was impressive to me. I only took one pic, but all the plants had a similar root system as the one shown in the picture. I can only visit them every 2 or 3 days; they are doing good at the moment because the roots have space, but if we have an extremely hot day, they will suffer.

My main concerns are:
-They are already too big, and they still have pretty much one month to grow + the stretching phase. Maybe I will have to cut them down to a more manageable size.
-They will suffer with really hot days because they are in a hot and sunny terrace.
- Bigger size = bigger buds = more chance to suffer from rot and mold in October and November.

Ok. I could go and keep talking about many things, but I will leave it here for the sake of my own sanity. I think I have covered enough for the moment. Next up, the AutoMalawis.

Attachments

• st1_transplant_day.jpg
    st1_transplant_day.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14
  • st2_transplant.jpg
    st2_transplant.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
  • pulsar_transplant_day.jpg
    pulsar_transplant_day.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 16
  • bf_transplant.jpg
    bf_transplant.jpg