What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Natto Save the Earth

h.h.

Veteran
I have the spores not the powder.
None the less, I used generic plain organic soy milk with the spores.
Slightly cooler room temperatures.

I seem to be getting traces of vanilla.
Perhaps in the unknown "flavorings".

Perhaps normal?
Either way it appears to be solidifying with a bit if liquid residue.
Three days now.
I'm sure lower temperatures here are making it go slower.

Curds and a lot of whey.

If you want it to solidify, you probably need the powder as originally suggested.

Soy meal may work. Oat meal? Chia?

Rico Swazi

all this talk about buying natto spores and eating it is fine .... but

I would like to see/read more about the effect it has on growing cannabis.

I am a bit skeptical of a purchased product the same way I was with the mycorrhizae hype that went through these cannaforums in recent times. The way I see it, Myc is in my soil, don't need to buy it. Same with any other product that claims to be the next best thing.

Follow the money
Based on the results of his research, Hara launched his own start-up company in March 2003, called Haratek.

h.h.

Veteran
Man spreads the seed upon which the earth flourishes.
We spread the spores.
Provide the water.

Ying and yang. The good outweighs the bad.
By our own design we are irreplaceable.

There will be pockets of life. They too shall die.
We are here for a reason.
Of course you know that or you wouldn't be doing what you do.

Rico Swazi

oh hell yes , gut shot when Roy passed, cried when George left us, and shouted at the heavens over Tom

the only afterlife I look forward to is a rock and roll heaven

barring that, they can compost me or turn me into soylent rainbow
(all inclusive and politically correct name )
"Soylent Rainbow...Now with more Natto !!! Yumm !!!"

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So this may turn out to be interesting... we'll know in a few hours anyway.

I have some old natto spores in the fridge.

(Disclaimer: I have a brief background in mycology and working with various bacterial cultures. I am not recommending this, I am posting my experience for the informational value. Almost anything could be growing in this...)

Last week I grabbed a 1Qt, un-opened carton of non-gmo soymilk sitting at room temp. (About 2 days after h.h. didn't die first. TY for the idea!) The ingredients of the soymilk are whole organic soybeans and water. End of list).

I cracked the lid and put 4-5 squirts of spores from the funky little bottle the spores are in. Immediately screwed the lid back on and mixed it completely by shaking.

I've kept it at room temp and shaken it 1-3 times a day for a week. After the first few days the container puffed up a tiny little bit. I put slight pressure on the container and barely cracked the lid to bleed off the excess gas building up, then closed the lid while it was still offgassing. It did not puff back up any further and has been slightly concave the rest of the time.

Yesterday I put it in the fridge.

Today I opened it and it does not smell funky at all. Definitely not like it has been opened and sitting in warm room temps for a week. It's thicker than regular soy and tastes like soy.

I drank a couple tablespoons a few minutes ago. The kids will call their mother if it's bad. lol :)
The texture has a fine grainyness to it, along with a slight amount of the bacterial slime feel of cultured natto. The flavor is definitely more complex. :)

Douglas.Curtis

Nattonaut: Bold? individual pushing the envelope of the nattosphere!

I can see making a safe process out of this. The correct precautions need to be taken and the amount of spores needs to be sufficient. Would have been cleaner/significantly-safer if I'd done this under a flowhood or in a glovebox.

Douglas.Curtis

I'm not dead, feel great, digests well, most likely make more in the future. The fine grainy was described as 'chalky' by my wife. lol

h.h.

Veteran
Had my stomach pumped. Feeling much better...
Not really.
As long as you're controlling the fermentation process, there's not much to be concerned about.

All organic soy milk is not equal.
I should have checked the label.

I think the powder would be more desirable than spores for making cheese. More solids to compensate for the water in the milk.

But this is about soil.
I added alfalfa for solids and some protein. Some chia for the gel. A gallon of milk that sat in my back fridge for over a year along with some green juice that was fermenting.
Some yucca powder.
Horsetail powder.

Let it sit and added it to the soil.

Put in a seed and within a few hours, I had nicely cured buds.

Not making any claims. The fermentations speed the amendments up a little I think. They add microbes to help the other processes. All in all they don't hurt and cost relatively little.

Douglas.Curtis

Had my stomach pumped. Feeling much better...
Not really.
As long as you're controlling the fermentation process, there's not much to be concerned about.

All organic soy milk is not equal.
I should have checked the label.

I think the powder would be more desirable than spores for making cheese. More solids to compensate for the water in the milk.
I'll go along with that... :)

But this is about soil.
I added alfalfa for solids and some protein. Some chia for the gel. A gallon of milk that sat in my back fridge for over a year along with some green juice that was fermenting.
Some yucca powder.
Horsetail powder.

Let it sit and added it to the soil.

Put in a seed and within a few hours, I had nicely cured buds.

Not making any claims. The fermentations speed the amendments up a little I think. They add microbes to help the other processes. All in all they don't hurt and cost relatively little.
LOL Amazing discovery for today's instant gratification society! Patent it!

Latest posts

Latest posts