What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with breeding

Bloom SA

Howdy good folks

I want to try and produce my own feminized seed. I already know how to make the seed, what I need help with is genetics...
So ive got several strains from overseas and want to use them to produce seed. Say for example, I want to produce fem seeds of gelato. Is it best to use the fem pollen from one female and pollinate a different plant of the same strain or is it best to pollinate the same plant that i too the pollen from? Would the resulting seed give consistently similar plants or would i be "degrading" the genetics? How many times is it possible to repeat this process from the offspring until i start getting crap seed?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag! :D

I strongly recommend you check out the breeding information already posted. Here's the Breeder's Laboratory sub-forum. :)

IAANPC (I am a newbie pollen chucker), so take what I say with a bag of salt. ;)

Creating the pollen from one plant, then pollinating a clone of the same plant will create S1's. The results will vary, depending on which plant you're using. Yes, a larger number of the plants will resemble the original plant.

Many feminized seed offerings are the product of one reversed female, used to pollinate a different female plant. Some of the higher quality breeders use several similar females (which takes a lot of time/resources to find), and cross them to several other prime examples of a different strain.

Waiting to see whether a cross is good or not sure takes a long time. lol :)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For creating fem seeds

Step1
Aquire a reversal spray (please post a link as I want to buy some pre made myself),, clear (no bits) cordial silver of a high ppm is essential

Step 2
Find 2 plants of decent tolerance to environmental reversals,,, this is so your progeny won't reverse without a reversal spray

Step 3

Aquire polen from a donor plant

At this point you ditch the donor,,,

You then have xx chromosome polen,, now you can dust a stress tested plant with confidence

When you do an outcross,, you get a limited number of phenotype expressions,,, if you incross you limit the scope of the genotype but recombination can give rise to quite a variety of phenotype expressions

When we go to s2 or s3 we start radicly increasing the inbreeding coefficients,, this is what breeders do to "fix traits" into a seedline,, backcrossing is also used to fix traits

So there you go,, any questions?,, just ask

DemonPigeon

Veteran
You then have xx chromosome polen,, now you can dust a stress tested plant with confidence

Just to be clear the gametes are all X. because gametes are haploid, the pollen is usually either X or Y the Ovum in the calyx is always X, it's by making sure all the pollen is X that makes the seed XX but the second X comes from the seedparent not the pollen.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Those are pretty open ended goals...

What are you trying to accomplish?

Selection is extremely important.

Latest posts

Latest posts